Hell with AA how do you play 22?

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cautously depending on position. Like to hit the SET!

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I typically try to avoid playing 22 since you need one somewhere in the streets to have any kind of value. The only exception would be is when I know I am going to be heads up and have position. In that case when I dont hit a set I play it as more of a semi bluff type of hand where I will bet knowing that even if I get called I have some showdown value against floaters. I still believe though that 22 is more trouble for what its worth and you also have to remember that if you get into a multi way hand with it and do flop a set you still can be in a set vs set situation. Not extremely likely but still much more of a chance of it happening than if you played 5s or 6s.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first rule is that when faced with a very strong recovery, it is strongly advised to fold them. because In the best of cases, you go for a 50-50. In the early position, do not hesitate to throw. There are still a lot of people talking after you and if you are raised, you will know that you will have to put a lot of money in the pot and that more. you will certainly be the first to speak after the flop. which is not an advantage. if you have a good stack and you really want to play them at all costs. you have to limp the blind to be able to pay another player's bet and see the flop while investing as little as possible. in the middle position, if no one has raised before you. it’s worth trying to get a cheap flop. in late position, if no one raised before you. A big raise can allow you to fold the followers. if on the flop I didn't hit anything. I prefer to fold in front of an overpriced bet. but if my opponent's bet does not exceed half the pot. I call one last time to see the turn.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play small pocket pairs a lot when the stacks are deep. I just limp in from the early position hoping to get as many limpers as possible. I would even call a raise with it if there is enough chips in the pot and the stacks are large enough. This hand is easy to play as when you hit a set you are probably going to earn a lot and if you miss you can throw it away. Therefore position doesn't play that much role here.

With small stacks (later stages of the tournament) I will throw away small pocket pairs from early positions and play them agressively from late, stealing blinds and raising even one or two limpers (i would limp in if there are more). I want to be heads-up on the flop and put a continuation bet if the texture is nice hoping that the other player missed the flop.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If stacks are 80 bb+ and you can get to the flop as cheap as possible. There are situations where you can stack aggressive players with the right flop. In bounty tournaments pairs 55 and under do stack a lot of players with the right flop. Especially
against players who over play top pair top kicker.

L

Lillemkk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just about to query 2-2 and I saw this so thought I’d add it to this discussion. How do you play 2-2 late on when the tournaments reach the shove fest stage.

So imagine a guy is constantly shoving his stack every time it’s small blind v big blind you’re close to the money and one of the players in danger of busting out and around 5-10BB deep. Looking for the spot to get the money in first but when you have that option to open it’s 7-2 off with five players behind. When you finally have a shoving hand, perhaps a raggy little ace the action before suggests that now is not the time. So when you’re in the big blind and finally dealt a pair it’s pocket 2s. Guy does the shove with his any two but a few range do we call??? After all our pair is ahead the majority of the time??? Or do we fold as we are in a coin toss at best??? Time is running out!!!

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on my position at the table, as well as the size of my stack. From an early position - fold

saha2000

saha2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's always good to hit a set even with as low a pair as 22.
In my opinion, it's best to take advantage of the situation and see the flop cheaply.

P

Powell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's depend because If you play on the heads up Its a good card 22

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you all-in preflop. You have AA and your opponent has 22. Your victory - 82%

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call with card 22 if there is no big raise and see the flop. But I saw how some players threw in all-in 22. I think that this is even the smallest pocket pair, but it is better than AK and has more than 50% probability of winning.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My style of play is classic classic so the draw of the starting hands you gave me is also standard, you don't need to invent anything, everything is already calculated mathematically and the probability of winning and losing is known. ABC poker is the best in this situation.

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't go to all in with22. Bet or call are normal for 22. I think

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
game 22 always in position or in the blind war.
Always with a raise.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing at short tables, so reading my opponents ' hands is my favorite thing, and believe me, if you read their hand correctly, it doesn't matter what cards the dealer dealt you, the main thing is to figure out whether your opponent's flop was right or not. With deuces, I can also make a big 3 bet with a further pot size bet, if the opponent is able to think and understand the power of the bets. It all depends on who we are playing with.:)

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limp 22 from almost every position, expect btn. I would raise with 22 if I would be a big stack as well.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 22 I almost always fold only the game if my stack is fine and nobody raises

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Baby pairs like 22 are usually good for a raise, even more so if fewer than 9 players. A continuation bet often wins the pot. Just be careful of over aggression by villains, even with a set.

Last night I saw (not my hands) 22 vs 44. Both hit a set. They went all in, and the deuces hit quads on the river!

N

NicoVlopez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously it depends on many factors. Basically I don't play it from UTG or MP. I can start opening it from the HJ, or I can just limp if someone has limp before me. From BTN and BB (if there are sufficient odds) it is quite playable. From the SB you can play mixed OR / Limp. Then postflop, if it depends on position / rival / etc

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just about to query 2-2 and I saw this so thought I’d add it to this discussion. How do you play 2-2 late on when the tournaments reach the shove fest stage.

So imagine a guy is constantly shoving his stack every time it’s small blind v big blind you’re close to the money and one of the players in danger of busting out and around 5-10BB deep. Looking for the spot to get the money in first but when you have that option to open it’s 7-2 off with five players behind. When you finally have a shoving hand, perhaps a raggy little ace the action before suggests that now is not the time. So when you’re in the big blind and finally dealt a pair it’s pocket 2s. Guy does the shove with his any two but a few range do we call??? After all our pair is ahead the majority of the time??? Or do we fold as we are in a coin toss at best??? Time is running out!!!

22s have surprisingly low equity versus any 2 cards. You're only the 50.33% favorite. Without ICM considerations calling would be slightly +EV since you're getting a better price from the blinds and antes in play. If you're in danger of busting yourself this is an easy fold.

edit: If he's not shoving 100% but closer to 80 or 70% 22s become way worse since he's folding all the trash hands that you dominate.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
22s have surprisingly low equity versus any 2 cards.

It only matters if you want to go all in preflop. In case of normal betting and large stacks this information is completely irrelevant. If you bet out with a set and fold to any other flop, your equity will probbably raise significantly.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It only matters if you want to go all in preflop. In case of normal betting and large stacks this information is completely irrelevant. If you bet out with a set and fold to any other flop, your equity will probbably raise significantly.

I was replying to the guy asking specifically how to play 22s in push fold scenario's xd. I think it goes without saying that small pocket pairs have huge implied odds.

O

OnitheCroc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
stack size 22

It depends on stack size i have and do i have position. I try to play them always as if set hits its usually a big win time

Serg77

Serg77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can play aggressive if I have only one opponent but if I'm from otg till button I prefer say fold. There is too less chance to have set but you might be bitten even with 37. So I think the risk of losing higher than warning. That's why I fold most times.

G

Guccipatna77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play them like aces especially if I have a nice stack. This also depends on the flop. If high cards come you have to play them cautious like aces but if mid tier cards come I like to play them like the nuts. If u hit a 2 it's even better