Did he know something? Where is the strategy here?

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unlucky thats a terrible beat here but its a freeroll though nothing to lose by playing J9.:eek:

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Villain didn't know anything and there is no strategy here other than playing bingo because it's a freeroll.

Unfortunately the weaker hand will still win at the river almost 1 out of 5 times here, just an unlucky beat.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Villain didn't know anything and there is no strategy here other than playing bingo because it's a freeroll.

Unfortunately the weaker hand will still win at the river almost 1 out of 5 times here, just an unlucky beat.
He must have seen :stoned: the patterns we keep hearing about :rolleyes:

:captain:

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Super unlucky, those are always brutal to take :(

Variance sucks

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The beat always feel so much worse when they catch runner runner on a (seemingly) safe flop than when they just outright flop the joint. It's always that equity that you're not even thinking they have ...

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always remember that it will always feel like you are getting sucked out on when you play premium hands but in reality you just see first hand how the statistics work because you are playing better poker than your opponent.

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

:confused:
I watched this player during that game - he never made thoughtless moves! And here - as if he knew in advance that the river was on his side! I know that if he was not sure, he would not have made such a bold move! Here lies some MYSTERY!:hmmmm2:

M

megiverz1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Riverstar stikes again! Don't overthink that. It happens all the time in small tournaments. That being said I would have fold or put you all in as well because who just call 1/3 of his chips raise?

guwanch7777777

guwanch7777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I played a $ 11 bitcoin tournament at the end of the tournament I have AA, he has J4 and we are both all in, he has flush, I have simple pair. Who can take such a risk at the end of the tournament

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
He did have a strategy but not a logical one. Double up or go home was it. I have known people who played that way. Why waste my time and grind it up when i can double or triple up early they play for the cash. These players dont care about playing it properly and what cost is it to them? None.

That was a sick hand by the way but take notes on who he is and stack him next time. Just remember, you will win that hand 80%+ of the time and he is out. Just take his chips, shack your head in wonder and say thank you for the free chips.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He did have a strategy but not a logical one. Double up or go home was it. I have known people who played that way. Why waste my time and grind it up when i can double or triple up early they play for the cash. These players dont care about playing it properly and what cost is it to them? None.

That was a sick hand by the way but take notes on who he is and stack him next time. Just remember, you will win that hand 80%+ of the time and he is out. Just take his chips, shack your head in wonder and say thank you for the free chips.

Totally agree with you, I would like to add the possibility that the player did not have the time to play the freeroll anyways, and he just wanted to go all in a couple of times until he busted.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:confused:How can go all-in with such a bad hand ?! And he won! Did he know something? Where is the strategy here?
https://www.boomplayer.com/ru/31994635_E3A3845394

:mad:I’ve never won a prize in a $ 300 freeroll! It happens all the time there! No strategy helps! Why?:eek:

Something similar happened to me in yesterday's game, I didnt defend my good preflop pair well and the villain achieved his straight on the flop with a worse hand.
Maybe you should had to defended that pair of preflop aces better, to protect it and get value of it.
When you had 3 limpers behind you, then make a big bet (x5 bb + 1bb x each limper), that way the villain thet will call you will be pot commitment postflop.

I think that the villian made a bluff, maybe the villain with less than 20 bb, saw the opportunity to double up and shoved when he saw that your bet was shy trying to make u fold, and in the end he was a lucky catch.

Everything can happen on the board, so we shouldn´t let to see cheap the board, looking for a balance between remaining pot commitment and at the same time keep to the villian participating in the hand.

We all know that in the freeroll the players take more risk too.
Better luck the next time Eva. :)

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
... We all know that in the freeroll the players take more risk too.
Better luck the next time Eva. :)

Thanks for the detailed explanation! :)
Poker is interesting in that it is not always possible to predict events! Especially in the online game!:D

Darsno

Darsno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup

Yes, everyone else has pretty much already nailed it: it's a freeroll, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain, he was going to double up or go home, etc, etc. All of these evaluations are correct. It's what it is, it goes with the territory.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the thing is that the poker sites need to call the free rolls something different. Maybe if they call them learning tourneys. lol
I can only hope, that is how you learn to play the "free rolls". Too bad more people don't want to be players. I grew up playing all kinds of card games, never did we just play stupid when we weren't playing for money. I still play different card games against the computer, that is also for free, the huge difference is that in those I don't get a chance at money. I still play and learn to better myself.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BB, no one ever believes that I have AA.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That looks like pokerstars signature runner runner beat. Wish I had that kinda luck with J9o

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

First of all Eva. You usually hit a hand when the dealer button is in the same place you hit a hand before. He knew he hit a hand when the dealer button was in that position before, so he pushed when he had cards when the dealer button was there again.

Second what was your ace ace count at. Ace ace wins 40 percent of time. Add another 20 percent cause you fold the winner. So you figure ace ace about two thirds of the time. If you have just won with ace ace two or three times it is a good idea to fold them and get them next time.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All I can think is that villain hoped/believed you were raising wide here, in an effort to steal the roughly 10BB pot. In this case he would figure his equity much larger than it was, and would also believe he had some fold equity. So he shoved as a kinda semi-bluff, mainly hoping you'd fold but also believing he had a fair amount more showdown equity than he actually did.
Everything's clear in hindsight; it's easy to say what a bad play it was when you know hero's pocket cards. However this doesn't seem like a good play to me. Lots of players like to gamble with almost any two cards near the start of freerolls, looking to build a big stack early on, and I think that's what's going on here.
The result was a horrible beat for you. You did everything fine IMO and lost. So, you smile in the knowledge that your opponent made a mistake and you did not, say "that's poker" and move on!
I think it's a waste of time looking too hard into exactly why this one villain made this mad move. Instead I would look into the best strategy for playing against the different types of weak players (and the good ones) that one finds in freerolls.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All I can think is that villain hoped/believed you were raising wide here, in an effort to steal the roughly 10BB pot. In this case he would figure his equity much larger than it was, and would also believe he had some fold equity. So he shoved as a kinda semi-bluff, mainly hoping you'd fold but also believing he had a fair amount more showdown equity than he actually did.
Everything's clear in hindsight; it's easy to say what a bad play it was when you know hero's pocket cards. However this doesn't seem like a good play to me. Lots of players like to gamble with almost any two cards near the start of freerolls, looking to build a big stack early on, and I think that's what's going on here.
The result was a horrible beat for you. You did everything fine IMO and lost. So, you smile in the knowledge that your opponent made a mistake and you did not, say "that's poker" and move on!
I think it's a waste of time looking too hard into exactly why this one villain made this mad move. Instead I would look into the best strategy for playing against the different types of weak players (and the good ones) that one finds in freerolls.

I was thinking along the same lines. If he indeed was a thinking player, the only line I see him is trying to steal since there’s a lot of dead money in the pot.
Otherwise, just seems like a reckless bluff

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes people just take a random hand and turn it into a bluff. This is certainly not limited to freerolls either. Even players, who are thought to be among the best in the world, does this from time to time. Like in this hand from PokerStars "Big Game" TV-show:

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You play the freeroll. The problem is that you play the freeroll. Raise was correct. Aggression of your opponents was a mistake. One opponent made the call big is too big and then folded. A second went all in with the garbage. Dude this freeroll.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You play the freeroll. The problem is that you play the freeroll. Raise was correct. Aggression of your opponents was a mistake. One opponent made the call big is too big and then folded. A second went all in with the garbage. Dude this freeroll.

Honestly this hand is just a bad beat story. And believe me I get it. Nobody like to lose, and it especially suck, when our opponent played his hand poorly and got rewarded for it. However here is the thing. Have you ever complained in the chat, on a forum, or in any other way, shape or form about someone playing bad, when you won the hand? If the answer to that is "no", then you are simply acting like a bad loser.

You are certainly not alone in that. Just open Youtube and search "Phil Helmuth on tilt". However being a bad loser is not exactly the ideal way to behave in any game. So try to get rid of those tilt juices, as Bill Perkins called it in another episode of PokerStars big game. At the end of the day its good for us, when our opponents play bad. So we should be thrilled about it, even when we did not win the hand this time.