Doug Polk is an idiot

G

G Moneys Money

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is comical how people like Doug Polk try to come off as especially intelligent/knowledgeable. His "meta" strategy is moronic and naively and ignorantly goes down the same road as the people who think it is correct to switch choices when contemplating the Monty Hall problem. Under that thinking, all of your choices are made before anything happens. That is HORRIBLE poker strategy. At any time, on any table, versus any player, it might be the very smartest move to do any number of things that go against pure probability, or "range" or "equity," etc... Poker isn't a game of robots. PLUS, the dummy is incredibly non-committal WHILE trying to display to people what a genius he is. "You should always play X like this... except here, or when this happens, or if the sky is cloudy, or when a dog barks 3 times." He is an attention seeking clown.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While Doug is a lot of things I don't think idiot is one of them. I was initially put off by Doug's over the top presentation but in actually listening to his content instead of his presentation I have found many things that have made me a better poker player. I do agree he is attention seeking but I think that his kinda of the point of putting out videos.

Also, he often says you can raise, call or fold here depending on numerous factors. So I am not sure where you are getting the idea that he thinks you should never alter your default strategy. Just that you should have a default strategy that you can then deviate from.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a beginning player, I see several multiplayer videos on youtube and Doulg Polk was one of the players who taught me something productive. I have nothing against his quest for fame, I wish all blessings to you and to him and that both can achieve their dreams, a hug.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Blaming a Poker Pro in your second post (from 2 posts overall) is something strange to expect, but OK - everyone has its own opinion :rolleyes:

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I watched D. Polk in his YouTube channel, live . Polk played at NLH 0.25 / 0.50 tables, 888poker. He himself made quite a decent chip stack. There is something to learn from it! Personally, I do not want to give the definition 'idiot',( but I could)! But Polk that night was not an idiot!

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is comical how people like Doug Polk try to come off as especially intelligent/knowledgeable. His "meta" strategy is moronic and naively and ignorantly goes down the same road as the people who think it is correct to switch choices when contemplating the Monty Hall problem. Under that thinking, all of your choices are made before anything happens. That is HORRIBLE poker strategy. At any time, on any table, versus any player, it might be the very smartest move to do any number of things that go against pure probability, or "range" or "equity," etc... Poker isn't a game of robots. PLUS, the dummy is incredibly non-committal WHILE trying to display to people what a genius he is. "You should always play X like this... except here, or when this happens, or if the sky is cloudy, or when a dog barks 3 times." He is an attention seeking clown.

How much money did you lose to Doug were you playing against him heads up?:):):)

ba6ad5cd4ae6fbc5b7a77932f1652164.jpg

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you accomplish more then the 9 Million dollars that Doug has achieved in his young life playing poker, then and only then should anyone pay any attention to your comment with a grain of salt.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He is hard to watch at times but still gives sound advice. Who are the non-twitch idiots you watch OP?

T

tgeezee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why are you trolling Doug Polk

His content helps the poker community

The first Live youtube I watched him play he won a tournament that's 1st place
not "win" min cash ..

Mr Polks breakdown of situations a little over your head ?

Is he just better looking than you ?

you jelly of his MoHawk?

what is your user name on a major poker site lets post your success next to his and see who knows what they are talking about in the poker world

slap up your Graph / history so we can all pick it apart ..

Lets not make cowardly posts

trippin

trippin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He reminds me of mark cuban, highly intelligent and great at what they do.... but extreme assholes, like them both though.

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't read the explanation for the thread title, but it's FINALLY OUT. =) He is!

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Doug Polk is one clever man, who teach and show for beginners good advantages )

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
While Doug is a lot of things I don't think idiot is one of them. I was initially put off by Doug's over the top presentation but in actually listening to his content instead of his presentation I have found many things that have made me a better poker player. I do agree he is attention seeking but I think that his kinda of the point of putting out videos.

Also, he often says you can raise, call or fold here depending on numerous factors. So I am not sure where you are getting the idea that he thinks you should never alter your default strategy. Just that you should have a default strategy that you can then deviate from.

I agree with this. I would just add that on an even more basic level, its impossible to label Doug Polk an idiot, especially when it comes to poker strategy. Just look at his stats. At the ripe old age of 29, he has over $10 Million in earnings, 3 wsop bracelets and an extremely successful training site and Youtube channel with thousands of subscribers.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see his videos and his streams sometimes and I don't think his idiot , he found his right way on poker and his videos have a good content I enjoy his analyzes to some hands and plays and I can't ignore that he taught me a lot .

S

Stan71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning poker player WSOP bracelet winner and owner of a successful poker training site.
Pretty good for an idiot.

Betmakers

Betmakers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In any case, you can listen to the person who won the big tournaments. And to do as he says or not is only your business.

A2020

A2020

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was it a question? Then "Yes"

Was it an affirmative sentence? Then "Agree"

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He likes to hear himself talk but certainly is one of the best poker players in the world.

mitchy boi

mitchy boi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He can at sometimes be a little egotistical but to call his intelligence sub par is anything but a joke, He is extremely friendly and nice enough to put out so much free content for anyone to watch hard to knock him for that.

S

spinynie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
he is one of the best many of years and he is learning and telling truth

mitchy boi

mitchy boi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He can at sometimes be a little egotistical but to call his intelligence sub par is anything but a joke, He is extremely friendly and nice enough to put out so much free content for anyone to watch hard to knock him for that.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Didn't have an idea what meta game was. But thankfully cardschat have an article on the term. https://www.cardschat.com/poker-strategy.php

I do watch many Polk videos but I think he talks more about playing gto. And balancing your game. If I am wrong correct me and show me a video where he suggest something so foolish that can justify calling him an idiot.
:hmmmm::hmmmm:

And while you do that, tell us what is a better way to play poker if not take in account probability, pot odds, equity, opponent ranges and all that stuff you find ridiculous.

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really enjoy his content. Especially his hand analysis. The way he can narrow hand ranges and adapt his strategy on the spot is truly remarkable.