Buying addons

Wiltz82

Wiltz82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was wondering how many people buy add one in tournaments. Or do you skip buying the add on if you’re well off in chips or do you buy it just to add to your chips even if your well off?

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Add-Ons

I may add-on if I am already in the money and still have the option. That,too, is only a maybe.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general you should buy the most chips that they will let you as soon as you can.

But there have been times when I have challenged myself to play without add-ons and see if I can cash.

Good luck !

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I decided to play a tourney with add-ons then I always do that. It's always more chips, more bbs in your stack which always matter. If you don't make +ev decisions in tourneys then don't play them.

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ussualy the add on is good to be done if you are low stack and if the amount of chips provided by the add on is big enough ( in my opinion must be at least 10*big blind).

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need a bigger bankroll to play rebuy/add-on tournaments - you should play low enough so that you don't have any problem using these to give yourself a better chance at winning the tournament.

Usually the chips are well worth the investment and I would take them with little thought.

Good luck! :D

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ussualy the add on is good to be done if you are low stack and if the amount of chips provided by the add on is big enough ( in my opinion must be at least 10*big blind).

addon is always good. Even 2-3bbs more can save your tourney life later. Imagine situation you have 60bbs and you decided to not make an addon. Few hands later you stuck off with aces vs a guy with 62bbs. You lose it and you are out. If you would decided to make an addon you would still be in a tourney with a chance to win it. Thats few BBs can always save you from being out and that few bbs always matter as blinds are higher and higher every 5-10minutes. As tourneys are very high varianced game you have to use every tool which can help you to win it. If you would double up then you prefer to have 10bbs less or more? If someone doesn't use addon if it's possible then imo you shouldn't play tourneys as you don't understand how it's important.

HAMC81

HAMC81

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is a must, if u dont have the add on money before tourney play a freezeout

cant give that advantage to your opponents

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I always add on no matter my chip stack. its +ev to do so.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Usually I try to play without add-ons, although sometimes this is necessary.
It depends on each particular situation.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Idon't re-buy or add on at all. I like to win my chips.:D:D

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I usually don't play tournaments with add on's but if I do I most likely will take the add on. The only time I have passed on the add on was when the value of the add on was not worth it or I was so low in chips it was not worth it to me.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should evaluate what the add on will do to your tournament ev. Look at the avg chip stack with and without the add on, how close you are to the money, how many bbs it would give you etc.

xxxREAPERxxx

xxxREAPERxxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it depends on what the prize pool is,,if i have over 20K chips im good but if i late reg and the payout is good i will go a little below starting roll if im already short stacked and then do a double rebuy right before the add on wich i also do,this way i have a double rebuy and add on added to almost a full starting roll,and thats usually enough chips to take me deep ITM for a profit.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think it's almost always a good idea to take the add-on. That said, I think add ons are a poor structure element.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always add on in lots of games the add on is more than the rebuy.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It depends from your stack. If it is in critical situation you get it. I f your stack is like 20 times the add on, then it is useless!

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the time I add-on.

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering how many people buy add one in tournaments. Or do you skip buying the add on if you’re well off in chips or do you buy it just to add to your chips even if your well off?
I uasully buy in at the add on break and then add on too cause i dont want to be outa the game before it actually starts and definatly dont want to rebuy more than once!

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always add on

I will always add on even if I have a lot of chips. Most everyone will add on as well and I don't want to give anyone an extra advantage by not doing so myself. I don't add on in freerolls because the pay outs won't justify the add on cost.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do prefer freezeout tournaments to the re-buy formats. It is frustrating to play solid poker and watch the reckless folks shove and re-buy and repeat. In order to keep up with them, i would have to play reckless myself, and that does not make sense to me.

As for when i do play in an add-on tournament, i usually do take the add-on, because everyone else usually does, and it puts me into catch up mode if i am the only one not doing so.

Good question.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I always try to avoid the add on, although for me it depends on how many chips I have and my place in the table, if I feel it is not necessary I do not do it, and I also think if it is worth depending on how many chips I get for the add on, if they are few I do not add, if there are many and I need them, yes, there are many factors in which I think

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I usually do not like to add on, I always look for a way to avoid it, and well if they eliminate me ready, I do not do the rebuy either

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I avoid playing tournaments with add ons or rebuys. I’m a cheap sob.

That way I’m on even ground with everyone else. Otherwise I would be giving them a big advantage over me. The only exception would be the freebuys tournaments since I’m getting in for free.