Using music in poker

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of people enjoy listening to music while playing poker. Mostly they probably listen to music that they enjoy listening to and that puts them in a specific kind of mood. But what happens when the gameplay eventually alters your mood? What happens when you lose a big hand and go on tilt, or win a big hand and go on winner's tilt (playing looser because you feel invincible or think you're "Having a good day")? If you're someone who listens to music to improve your gameplay, consider having at least 3 playlists. One for your normal play, one that is calming for when you go on tilt, and one that is possibly even depressing for when you get too excited by great wins.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer silence if the game is important to me.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with having silence too. Poker music can motivate me pre-game, but once I start: that music is over. I understand that many players need "something to do" to pass the time, but I am too busy looking for tells and calculating pot odds and such to be distracted with anything like music.

I will note though that I know a few players who wear headphones or earbuds but do not play music; it is just a way to appear "distracted" (when they are in fact paying full attention) and to discourage players from talking to them.

Listening to music during the game is probably more of a personality or play-style thing, but I'd rather put 100% focus into the game.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I cannot think well of it is not quiet. That is why at a live game, with people rattling their chips nonstop, I am at a complete disadvantage. That is why I prefer online play, I don't have to listen to the sound of chips.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do not think well if things are not quiet, hence ,I am at a complete disadvantage in a live game with players rattling chips nonstop.
I prefer online play, where I do not have to hear nervous or annoying sounds of chips while playing my favorite game.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one of the mottos of the USSR, the song helps us build and live!

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't like listening to music while I play, I think it distracts me from whats going on at the table, although I have been known to have earphones in with no music playing. It helps create an opinion that you're not "tuned in" (see what I did there) while you're actually listening to everything going on at the table.