Losing with AA

W

Willrumble21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Yesterday I was playing 2c/5c NLH and this happened. Please tell me what you think, did I make a bad call?

Hero dealt
:ad4: :ah4: in the CO and raises to 15c

Villain calls on the button

All other players fold

Flop comes : :3d4: :4d4: :10s4:

Hero bets 18c

Villain calls

Turn comes: :7h4:

Hero bets 48c

Villain calls

River comes: : :7d4:

Hero bets $1.11

Villain raises all in to $4.59

Hero calls

Villain wins pot with :qd4: :jd4:

Is this a bad call? It's worth noting that this player was playing pretty loose, playing 50% of hands. I had seen him make a couple of bluffs and get called too. I feel like I would've found a fold without :ad4: but should I be folding in this spot?

Thanks in advance :)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You're behind trips, a straight, and a few boats if not for all the flush combos. When your villain raises you all in on the river, what can he be bluffing with? I get maybe small river bluffs but when you get shoved at that level mostly your villains have it.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah with a board like that and the sizable bet from the villain, this is a fold. Not that the villain played particularly well, but all you had was a pair. You have to ask yourself honestly if you're willing to lose all your stack in this situation, and if the answer is no, then fold.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This will happen a lot with you, when I see an AA I am not even happier because the probability of losing is great when I'm with AA the probability of losing is that of winning is 70% to 30%, to be aware of the last three times I played with AA I lost, yesterday I was paired with AA I raised the pot the villain came from all in so pagei leaves the eight on the river for villain
:mad::mad::mad::mad::driver:

T

TheFaissal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I myself will check the river, all the draws got there, flush & straight and maybe trips or two pairs. (two pairs is the only hand you beat)

As I said, the best play from my side is to check the river and fold to all in.

AntA_KO_v

AntA_KO_v

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aces are just a top pair and do not delude yourself that they guarantee victory in the hand =) poker is a game in which nothing is guaranteed until the river card.

I keep my own statistics of winning and losing with aces and I have it about 50% - like a coin flip =)))

so the answer is - it was a bad call...

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Yes a bad call, the villain's all in means that it has flush.

Loky13

Loky13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the last couple of weeks I started considering AA a losing hand since i lost almost 70% of hands played with the bullets...

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Just do the following to fix your issue: look at the previous 3 or so hands before your bullets. Expect your bullets to be cracked if:
1. You had won a major pot against someone else by connecting with a draw OR you would have won had you played the hand.
2. Someone else lost a major pot with a strong hand against a completed draw. That person is now your villain against your bullets.
3. You had a bunch of unplayable hands that didn't hit any draws.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Empty your mind of expectations and look.
The flush hit board and the Villain bet all-in.
The aces were only guaranteed to win pre-flop.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The call on the river was pretty bad. I would check/call or check/fold depending on opponent's tendencies. The straight and flush both got there. Most players are not going to be continuing like this with 10x (which is the only hand you can beat)

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

Yesterday I was playing 2c/5c NLH and this happened. Please tell me what you think, did I make a bad call?

Hero dealt

All other players fold

Hero bets 18c

Villain calls

Hero bets 48c

Villain calls

Hero bets $1.11

Hero calls

Is this a bad call? It's worth noting that this player was playing pretty loose, playing 50% of hands. I had seen him make a couple of bluffs and get called too. I feel like I would've found a fold without :ad4: but should I be folding in this spot?

ya this was played badly to me

you shoulda folded cause you knew he hit his flush based on how he played hand

but you probably messed up more on the turn bet... you shoulda shoved or went less then the 48 cents....everyone plays differently im not putting villian on str8 here but on that flush ya easy lay down

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in this case a fold definitely would have been the better choice. There are so many better hands than AA’s on the table ,straight , trips, set or what you lost to a flush.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're behind trips, a straight, and a few boats if not for all the flush combos. When your villain raises you all in on the river, what can he be bluffing with? I get maybe small river bluffs but when you get shoved at that level mostly your villains have it.

agreed very much here.. you are behind many different hand combinations.. when villian raises 4x all in on the river, it's pretty much not a bluff

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

Hero dealt

All other players fold

Hero bets 18c

Villain calls

Hero bets 48c

Villain calls

Hero bets $1.11

Hero calls

these hands are the odds that happen from one in ten! stay calm, get lost, that means you will win about ten!

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is standard if you got AA, if a flush draw is on the board someone has it, be cautious when someone shoves the river with a 3rd flush board and you have AA.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way he played it he was either chasing or flopped a set, either way you should have checked river.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have been cautious as soon as I seen the 2 diamonds. This was micro play as well so really he had nothing to lose and he had many outs. If the money was larger and your bets were larger it might have been better outcome, but if I have suited cards in my hand and get 2 on flop, I play them. AA can be the devil if you do not play them correctly.

J

Jlo111888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA is a Nice hand to kill the only way i think is to get a set on the flop :hmmmm2::albertein:thefinger

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA is the best hand pre-flop. Once you get a caller and a flop, everything kinda changes. You see a flush draw and a straight draw, and you're playing a microstakes where you get a lot more loose callers. Once the river hits with a 7d, it's time to fold to the shove, or even check and see what the villain does there. AA gets beat from time to time for sure, just have to say nice hand and move on to the next one.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's hard to not be stubborn with AA..

But it's hard to not be stubborn with AA. I've stuck around with AA even with flush draws, straight draws, a pair on the board, etc.
The more you play AA in real-life, and on-line, unless you are pot committed, folding is the best option a lot of times. In your situ, I would've folded, too many possibilities working against you.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's easy to get dazzled by AA. I wonder if you would have been so ready to call with JJ?

On the BTN his range is very wide. It's not unreasonable for him to have a look with 34s, 56s, or any other suited connectors, J10o, and any pocket pair and pretty much any A. On the flop he could easily have 2 pair, a set open ended straight draw and the flush draw.

The 7 brings the 56s into play and the J completes straights and flushes, plus sets.

It's quite conceivable that you are behind to two pair, sets, straights and flushes. In other words everything apart from a complete bluff.

It sucks, but sometimes AA loses and you have to put them in the muck.