Which lesson made your game profitable?

T

tealurker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was your turning point and what was the main lesson causing it? From which source? I'd especially be interested in books that changed your perspective.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have not read any books, but what I did do is learn about position and the math involved. That was the key to making poker fun and semi-profitable.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What was your turning point and what was the main lesson causing it? From which source? I'd especially be interested in books that changed your perspective.

This is going to sound really simple, but "value bet should be the default play." Source: 30 Day course on CardsChat. Getting value from your hands is important; everyone will get "good hands" about the same frequency long term (although it might not feel like it when someone is getting super lucky in the short term xD), so getting value when you do hit your hands is critical. My problem was that I liked to trap too much when I first learned how to play poker; some players are naturally more "trappy" than others, but I felt like maybe half the time I was value betting my strong hands and the other half of the time I was trapping.

It was a simple lesson to learn and implement into my game, but trapping should not be the default play and we should be value betting more than half the time versus trapping in most situations (even closer to 100% value betting against fishy opponents and especially calling stations).

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The course offered here by Katie and Colin has helped me better understand the game, that's hard to do at my age,still can't thank them enough and for no fee at all ,simply incredible

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alexander Fitzgerald from Assassinato Coaching completely changed my perspective on poker plays. I often re-read his books (both 'Myth' and 'Exploitative'), constantly watch his videos, read his (near daily) emails on poker, listen to his Vimeo podcasts. He tailors his lessons for normal, average recreationals who just wants to play better.

T

tealurker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The course offered here by Katie and Colin has helped me better understand the game, that's hard to do at my age,still can't thank them enough and for no fee at all ,simply incredible

Hear hear.

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To start playing more aggressive and to win pots with bluffs. Before that I was playing only with strong hands and most of the times limping during the hands and if I catch up something only in that occasions I raise. And we all know that you can not win anything with playing only one type of hands (strong always) and to every bad beat I was thinking that everything was rigged. :D

I have read some books with suggestions of plays by Daniel Negraunu and think that helps me to improve my style of game. If you have desire, you can learn a lot from everywhere about poker and to increase your level and to make your game profitable.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
don't be afraid to give up your min-cashes to play for a big pot when you small edges over your opponent.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Trading, business, failure. Try to understand the numbers first, before the cards. This worked for me and it might not work for you but the numbers and managing them is above and beyond the cards you play. I vouch for risk management. Furthermore, your graph is never gonna look like bitcoin but it may as well go towards Amazon, or Tesla. Try and gather universal information from everywhere you can and it will eventually start making sense.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The turning point came when I got tired of losing. And I started working on my game.

Top 10 Games