Learning no limit with a limit book

L

Leo1145

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Does it make a big difference if I’m learning poker with a limit book but I want to Okya no limit.

I know the difference between both but strategy wise will it be a major difference ?

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there is a major strategy difference between the two.

In limit, you will likely have many many more multi-way pots. This creates great pot odds for the players, and it is almost impossible to get players to fold. If you can't get your opponents to fold, then a huge part of the game goes away. Because there are more players in the hand, the winning hands at showdown will generally be much bigger - you will generally need straights and flushes to beat multiple players.

In no-limit, of course, the opposite is true. Now, our bets can be sized to mean something. You can play to get an opponent to fold. There are less multi-way pots, because our pot odds aren't as good. We may see very few showdowns, thereby getting very few clues as to what our opponents are actually playing.

The only commonality is that the rules of the game are the same and the odds and equities remain constant. There is very little commonality for strategy. I would recommend you pick up a no-limit holdem strategy book if you plan on playing no-limit. Abandoning the limit strategy book ASAP would be good for you.

Good luck!

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are completely different games. You can still read the book and maybe you'll find something useful. I would stick to studying no limit if that's your game.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i spent two years playing pretty much nightly with 2 of the biggest names in poker playing LIMIT holdem ....

now for me this helped my ring cash games a ton but as far as mtt no limit goes i really cannot implement the strategies that i learned in limit....it helps with the basics position etc... the book but really will not prepare you for decent stakes mtt tournaments