Did I play Pocket AA correct?

M

Minikiwi9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/2qhhT95

Pretty satisfied with the results, curious if people think there are better ways for me to play this one, I try and humble myself and learn from others expertise as much as possible as I continue to learn!! :cool:

Also I swear I found a place to post regarding hand reviews but now I don't see to know where it went, so if someone can educate me on where to find that again that would be great lol

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop I agree with the raise size. I would have checked the flop to see if there was some action, not a very threatening board you had to defend against there.

M

Minikiwi9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for replying, I agree with what you are saying, my fear would be of getting checked around and giving them a free card. Though a checkraise would be much much better if a bet would come through.
My thought was to charge the flush draws heavily and maybe if one of them have a decent J will want to continue, and I can get paid in full, though it looks like neither of them hand anything in this case.
What people think about this thought process?

Preflop I agree with the raise size. I would have checked the flop to see if there was some action, not a very threatening board you had to defend against there.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Pretty satisfied with the results, curious if people think there are better ways for me to play this one, I try and humble myself and learn from others expertise as much as possible as I continue to learn!! :cool:

Also I swear I found a place to post regarding hand reviews but now I don't see to know where it went, so if someone can educate me on where to find that again that would be great lol

Thank U 4 Posting.

If you go to the forums for cash games or tournaments they both have sub forums for hand analysis. Those forums are below Learning Poker on the list of forums.

How do we do a proper breakdown of our hand play?

What is the purpose of our first action? Did we get the desired result with the action we took?

What is the purpose of our second action? Did we get the desired result?
Why did we not get the desired result?

We start with these questions and we add in any data that will help us do understand the why of it.

First action we have AA we want to narrow the field but still get at least 1 caller.

We bet 150 we get exactly what we want. So far so good.

What data do we have right now regarding our villains?

Our raise tells our villains we have a big hand. They should be ranging us on AA KK QQ JJ 1010 99 AK all AQ all AJ suited.

What range would our villains play vs that range?

It is best if you type out a range for your villains based on their positions and any HUD data or notes you might have. If not that data than possible player pool data you have.

Now you have a range for both villains and for yourself.

Flop 3sJc6s

First step: How Does our AsAd define our villains' continuing range?

We know our villains cannot have the nut flush draw?
AJ is possible but much less likely. As is A3 A6.

The best draw is 45 how often do these villains call 150 with unsuited 45 and suited 45?

Can our villains have 33 66 for a 150 call?
How much more likely are those 2 hands than 45?

Second step: are there many bad turn cards ?
What would they be?
It is good practice to think of what you would do on every turn card that could come.

Third step: does our bet sizing on flop correspond best with the data set we developed for this situation?

Hope this helps
:):)

M

Minikiwi9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks I found where it's at, Idk why I couldn't see it when I posted this..

1. I think we understand the purpose of the squeeze, and looking at it more and maybe I'm being to nit picky but I feel like 180 would have been a better raise size. With the amount of limpers that just feels more correct to me now. But we def got the desired action I was hoping for.
2. I feel like my desired action is to maximally charge the draws. There is a possibility I bet to big and scared the draws??

I'm not sure if I consider I was blocking the Nut flush draw, and that may the optimal way to play this. Though if someone had KT of spades I doubt they are folding there.

So with my bet it is going to fold out air and maybe up to second pair (If some A6 are in there range). Hoping to maximum charge good J's (AJ, KJ, QJs, JTs) and spade draws. Writing it out makes it apparent that there aren't many combos of hands that would continue. Though betting smaller I'm not seeing what else would continue regardless of the hands I really mentioned above aside possibly some A6, A3 type of holdings (If they are even calling a 150 bet) and I'm blocking most combos.

Taking it down on the flop is a great result and having the extra BBs is super huge for the SNG so is it the most desired result? no, of course I'd love to 3x my stack, but I think it may have been best in this situation

I don't recall of HUD stats at this point, though I don't think they were regs that I'm use to seeing.

It was good for me to range the V's to put it in perspective for me. It isn't typical even in micro/low stakes to see a limp-call in EP and ranging such players is important to do.
Bad turns I see are mainly Broadways and Spades. The board pairing would be great and low cards are fine. (Assuming with my flop bet) I don't like the idea of checking preflop to possibly give them free cards if it does check around. AA are interesting to play most of the plays you make are +EV just trying to find the ones that print the most.

Appreciate you making me think I'm going to keep on trying to post more often.:cool:

Thank U 4 Posting.

If you go to the forums for cash games or tournaments they both have sub forums for hand analysis. Those forums are below Learning Poker on the list of forums.

How do we do a proper breakdown of our hand play?

What is the purpose of our first action? Did we get the desired result with the action we took?

What is the purpose of our second action? Did we get the desired result?
Why did we not get the desired result?

We start with these questions and we add in any data that will help us do understand the why of it.

First action we have AA we want to narrow the field but still get at least 1 caller.

We bet 150 we get exactly what we want. So far so good.

What data do we have right now regarding our villains?

Our raise tells our villains we have a big hand. They should be ranging us on AA KK QQ JJ 1010 99 AK all AQ all AJ suited.

What range would our villains play vs that range?

It is best if you type out a range for your villains based on their positions and any HUD data or notes you might have. If not that data than possible player pool data you have.

Now you have a range for both villains and for yourself.

Flop 3sJc6s

First step: How Does our AsAd define our villains' continuing range?

We know our villains cannot have the nut flush draw?
AJ is possible but much less likely. As is A3 A6.

The best draw is 45 how often do these villains call 150 with unsuited 45 and suited 45?

Can our villains have 33 66 for a 150 call?
How much more likely are those 2 hands than 45?

Second step: are there many bad turn cards ?
What would they be?
It is good practice to think of what you would do on every turn card that could come.

Third step: does our bet sizing on flop correspond best with the data set we developed for this situation?

Hope this helps

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

this is the thing you want isolation for best odds you have 2 callers you absolutely played this hand how I would play this hand..

thing is you want the most money with high pockets you can get but sometimes position table image opponents makes you just take a small pot and move on

be happy very well played and move on

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for replying, I agree with what you are saying, my fear would be of getting checked around and giving them a free card. Though a checkraise would be much much better if a bet would come through.
My thought was to charge the flush draws heavily and maybe if one of them have a decent J will want to continue, and I can get paid in full, though it looks like neither of them hand anything in this case.
What people think about this thought process?
had a flush draw non rainbow there or str8 draws you got to bet i liked sizing everything

small pots add up

M

Minikiwi9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thinking about this more, if I bet smaller on the flop say 3rd pot or so, you could possibly get some strong back door club draws to continue? Though then it comes is it better to charge the obvious flush draws and strong Js more or possibly keep in a bit of a wider range to the turn. Again I think both are profitable but unsure exactly which would be best, and obviously majorly player dependent.

1. I think we understand the purpose of the squeeze, and looking at it more and maybe I'm being to nit picky but I feel like 180 would have been a better raise size. With the amount of limpers that just feels more correct to me now. But we def got the desired action I was hoping for.
2. I feel like my desired action is to maximally charge the draws. There is a possibility I bet to big and scared the draws??

I'm not sure if I consider I was blocking the Nut flush draw, and that may the optimal way to play this. Though if someone had KT of spades I doubt they are folding there.

So with my bet it is going to fold out air and maybe up to second pair (If some A6 are in there range). Hoping to maximum charge good J's (AJ, KJ, QJs, JTs) and spade draws. Writing it out makes it apparent that there aren't many combos of hands that would continue. Though betting smaller I'm not seeing what else would continue regardless of the hands I really mentioned above aside possibly some A6, A3 type of holdings (If they are even calling a 150 bet) and I'm blocking most combos.

Taking it down on the flop is a great result and having the extra BBs is super huge for the SNG so is it the most desired result? no, of course I'd love to 3x my stack, but I think it may have been best in this situation

I don't recall of HUD stats at this point, though I don't think they were regs that I'm use to seeing.

It was good for me to range the V's to put it in perspective for me. It isn't typical even in micro/low stakes to see a limp-call in EP and ranging such players is important to do.
Bad turns I see are mainly Broadways and Spades. The board pairing would be great and low cards are fine. (Assuming with my flop bet) I don't like the idea of checking preflop to possibly give them free cards if it does check around. AA are interesting to play most of the plays you make are +EV just trying to find the ones that print the most.

Appreciate you making me think I'm going to keep on trying to post more often.:cool:

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preflop sizing is ok, but still I think you can size it up. There are 3 limpers so it means they are recreational players. For them It doesn't matter the sizing. So I would go bigger. It wouldn't surpirse me if you would get calls even for 300 chips. You don't need to be balanced with rec players.

Postflop sizing is ok. I know you block flush draws on Ax but they are recreationals players and it wouldn't be a surprise if they would have hands like KQs, 89s (with spades) there. Plus you get value from Jx, or any other low pairs. 75-100% pot sizing is ok.
Checks or small bets doesn't make any sense with limp guys. You want to build a pot vs them and get maximum value. It's a multiway pot so your equity is overall lower. That's why I wouldn't slowplay there.

D

derpaderp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop can be a little bigger. I would do 6BB-7BB (180-210) due to being out of position and 3 limpers.

Post-flop, that's a semi-dry flop. Looks like 50%-66% pot would keep more people along for the ride.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank U 4 Responding

I am glad I helped you take a deeper dive into the hand.

Regarding your flop bet sizing. I do no think you are taking into account your stack size when thinking about getting calls from your 2 villains.

When you bet 400 you are essentially going all-in as you will have 790 left and the pot is 910. If a V calls pot is 1310 and you have 790. Even the most basic villains can see that.

So would Ks10s call?
Would either player check raise as a bluff with that sizing?
Would most players call with Jh10d when you seem to have AA, at worst you have AK but it could be AsKs. Also remember this is a SNG early on. Most players know to play tight. Which is tighter flop calling ranges not just tighter preflop ranges.
Would KsQh float that bet OOP?
Could red 22-99 non set hands take one card in a SNG to see if you check turn?
Why would you ever check turn when you have 60% pot bet size left?

I think the sizing relative to our stack screams no folds and no checking.
So we can expect nothing but value attacks. JJ 66 33 5s4s all JsXs

That range crushes us, we are only slight favorites vs the Jx hands. We have to hope for the 1 combo of KsQs and1 combo Ks10S even then that is not a lot of equity help vs the possible range.

It is good that you are thinking about getting even more value in spots like this. Long term successful players do not worry about 11% hands like 5s5c sucking out on them. So they do not make bet sizes to get those hands to fold in a spot like this. They give those hands the chance to chase just 1 more time. Especially when you can over flush a chaser with the As.

Of course you must bet.

Think of all the wonderful things that could happen if you bet 210 instead of 400. Do not focus on the ohh shit I let them get there stuff. The value you get is greater than the value you lose especially on this board.

3sJc6s and we hold the As. skippity doo dah skippity ehhh, my ohh my what a wonderful day.
Surely we can get some value from something if we bet 210
Then think of all those lovely turns where our V can eem to pick up equity and still be way behind.
Imagine our V has Jh10s and the turn is the Qs the V now has 9%
All this time I forgot to mention we are in position. How much sweeter can life get than this when we are holding AsAx. Worst case scenario after betting smaller is we sign up for another small stakes SNG. That is it, we tried to get max value from a strong hand and they hit 17% with QsJh. or 3.8% with KsQh

We win pot 8x they win 2x. We are competing for first place 8 times and out 2 times if we can get V to commit their stack with any 1 Pair with 1 spade or worse hands
:elefant::dancing2:

Once again great job looking at hands you won and trying to make sure you got max value.

Hope this helps

M

Minikiwi9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like we have a similar thinking about it, I agree that I could size it up a bit more, but I'm thinking more of a 180-200 size.

I don't see checking here as a reasonable option post flop, I think my sizing is ok as well.:D

preflop sizing is ok, but still I think you can size it up. There are 3 limpers so it means they are recreational players. For them It doesn't matter the sizing. So I would go bigger. It wouldn't surpirse me if you would get calls even for 300 chips. You don't need to be balanced with rec players.

Postflop sizing is ok. I know you block flush draws on Ax but they are recreationals players and it wouldn't be a surprise if they would have hands like KQs, 89s (with spades) there. Plus you get value from Jx, or any other low pairs. 75-100% pot sizing is ok.
Checks or small bets doesn't make any sense with limp guys. You want to build a pot vs them and get maximum value. It's a multiway pot so your equity is overall lower. That's why I wouldn't slowplay there.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
would have done the same with over pockets as well

You made the correct move; your pocket pair was in the lead, you made the right bet, others can see what they want, there are many ways to play any hand, take all other comments together, one will make the most sense.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Pre-flop, you do exactly the right thing. Raising to 150 allows you to reduce the field and also narrow your opponents ranges.

After the flop, you've only got a couple of hands to worry about; JJ and maybe 66. You have the :as4:, so you block the nut flush. I would either check here or bet around half pot - anywhere between 220 and 270 is fine. What are you trying to achieve here? Well you are forcing the junk hands to fold, but you're keeping in the draws and top pair, maybe middle pair. Then you get the opportunity to be bet for value on the turn and the river. So you could turn a 510 pot into 2,000+ pot by adjusting your bet sizes.

Betting 400 looks like you're scared that you're opponent might catch up, but that means you are leaving chips on the table, which you want to avoid.

G

GrammaKing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like a slightly larger pre-flop raise and a smaller continuation bet on that flop, especially with the As.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips

I think you played theoretically correctly after an open flop. It’s just that you were not lucky that your opponents did not have matches and they did not continue to play. Without playing Raise, with a flash draw you can get a flash from an opponent