How can I become a better poker player?

D

DarkestSoul590

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing Texas Hold'em since I was 7 so I'm pretty good already. I see everyone talking about how they've studied and read a lot to become better at poker. What exactly are they reading besides the rules of poker?

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you haven't studied anything yet, I would highly recommend that you watch some professional twitch streamers. Try to guess what they are going to do before they act and when you're wrong, try to decipher why they did what they did in the situation.
You're effectively just trying to guess what the correct move in the situation is and using the actions of the professional to see if you would have acted correctly.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing Texas Hold'em since I was 7 so I'm pretty good already. I see everyone talking about how they've studied and read a lot to become better at poker. What exactly are they reading besides the rules of poker?

You should be reviewing your hands and working on combinatorics and equity calculators to see if you are making correct decisions. Also start working on ranges of your opponents and who their ranges change after each street.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first step is to learn patience. People who play every hand have the headache of losing chips and, unless luck is nice to you, not getting anywhere. Play hands that you can be comfortable with and wait for them to appear. One of the first things I have learned is that this will get you farther than many get in a game.

Second, be alert to how your opponents play. I have certain folks marked in red on ACR and I have noticed it is even more rare to see them make the money than getting pocket As. These are the people going all in with any two cards when they should be playing more conservatively.

These are two tips that I learned the hard way, so I hope they help.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's also better to know the difference between the tournament and the cash game rather early.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
play different variants of poker
see such as Omaha hi lo or badugi to see if anything gives u a small advantage. also see if u have more success in ring games or tournaments.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Try this playlist http://gripsed.com/win

It's a great place to get your foundation in order and it's absolutely free!

Cardschat also has a great 30 day course that I highly recommend (and it's free too).

You want to learn the math, the psychology, the money management and then build self confidence, creativity, and a willingness to experiment with different plays and bet sizes.

If you consciously make a decision to play to win rather than to just play for fun it will instantly shift your mind to a place of discipline, desire to learn, and as a result probably seeing results!

Hope you enjoy the training materials,
Take what you learn, go out there, and GET STACKIN!

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing and reviewing the hands that you have played, or that others have played.
Whenever you have doubts about a hand, write it down and try to solve the best way to play it, if possible by clearing doubts with someone more experienced.
Always studying by reviewing your hands is a good start.
If you want to evolve, there is no other way, you have to study hard.

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Answer is right HERE in Cardschat, I've learned a lot through that course. Give it a shot!

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You first have to read up on the basic strategy.
This includes:

Play tight before the flop. That means you only play the good cards.

You play in position. That means your opponent has to act before you. This allows you to play more profitably. In early position I would fold everything except AA-10 and AK.

The few hands you play you play aggressively. Above all, No Limit Holdem thrives on aggressiveness.

If you have a drawing hand, use pot odds to make a decision. So you only call if it is profitable for you.

If you master the basic strategy, you need to gain experience. This is the only way you can improve. You shouldn't be playing a lot of play money games. Most of the time, you're just building bad habits. You have to play real money games to really improve. Play money games are often only good for getting to know the poker software.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
They are reading strategies and odds from pros. Getting experience from others and looking at situations that might come up in your game. To start, the 30 day free course on cardschat has a lot of info and stuff that you might not know. At least as a refresher. Going over your game and hands that you have played with experienced players, I find is a great help. Study what you did right or wrong in a game so you can correct it in the future.