OK so now that everyone and their brother knows what a c-bet is??
So yeah, like circa '06 c-betting just printed monies. Now it doesnt plain and simple. Because;
everyone knows what c-betting is and no one folds a pair/draw to a single c-bet
more and more players are floating
check/raising the standard Axx/Kxx/Qxx c-bet has become frequent (I do it A lot!!!! myself)
and players don't always re-raise preflop just because theyre hand is ahead of open raisers range, players in the old days used to 3 bet when they thought they had the best hand and flat call for pot odds
/implied odds with spec hands. Now players will flat call MP or LP opens with a wide range (stuff like KQs, AJ, 88, etc that old school TAGs used to raise/fold). So the pre-flop caller can now rep stuff like AX and KX where he really couldn't before as he was expected to raise or fold his AX stuff preflop. In 06 a c-bet wasnt really repping anything, you put in the last raise meant you were allowed to have AA (your range was uncapped) the caller just called so he wasn't suposed to have the best hand, he was trying to out flop the raiser. A c-bet was just betting that opponent missed the flop.
My how things have changed. So when do we c-bet and when don't we??
here's my thoughts, when to c-bet (HU)
1) I have over cards
2) I have at least one over and one back door drw
3) I have two back door draws (so I can dub a ton of turn cards)
4) low board and i have a big ace (cause i really do have best hand mostly and if opponent floats and hits ace he can get hurt plus there are plenty of overcards that can turn allowing me to dub
5) I actually have a peice (well, a big peice, i am usually NOT c-betting A2s on AK8r..rather let opponent get comfy w/ second pair and then i wil go for one/two streets on turn and maybe river or induce bluff and just call down)
6) Against tight player who plays fit or fold
7) OOP with a draw
8) in position with a big draw
9) about 80% with bottom pair as sort of a semi bluff
10) with middle pair about 30%, depends on opponent, maybe better to bluff catch with it or show it down (some times its too good to semi bluff with but not good enough to value bet)...this is the spot that gives me the most trouble really.
What do most of you do with middle pair, say in position after opening preflop and getting called by BB? C-bet middle pair or check back?