Beginner here with newbie question

I

iRon Fist

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! I am new to poker (Texas hold em) and I love it. I want to get good at it so I've been reading.and watching tutorials. They all the me to only play premium hands from proper position while I'm a beginner. This makes perfect sense to me and so that's what I do. Fold, fold, fold. There will be times when I will fold but end up with the nuts. Also, there will be times when I play a premium hand and lose. However!!!,,, Since starting to play a little over 2 months ago, almost every premium hand I get in position loses! Likewise, about half of my folds if not more, turn out to be would-have-been winning hands! I understand it's going to happen now and then. But it's more than that for me. I'm still very new to poker, and I'm probably making some mistake as I go.. any help would be appreciated, thank you! :confused:

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Howdy

Hi! I am new to poker (Texas hold em) and I love it. I want to get good at it so I've been reading.and watching tutorials. They all the me to only play premium hands from proper position while I'm a beginner. This makes perfect sense to me and so that's what I do. Fold, fold, fold. There will be times when I will fold but end up with the nuts. Also, there will be times when I play a premium hand and lose. However!!!,,, Since starting to play a little over 2 months ago, almost every premium hand I get in position loses! Likewise, about half of my folds if not more, turn out to be would-have-been winning hands! I understand it's going to happen now and then. But it's more than that for me. I'm still very new to poker, and I'm probably making some mistake as I go.. any help would be appreciated, thank you! :confused:
I think and hope you are using play money for starters. And premium hands are smart hands to wait on but playing other hands are just as good. Remember any cards can hit the table on the flop. Learning how to raise is also a big thing and a little bluffing here and there. So i say play a good bit for play chips, learn how to raise and bluff a little, then you will understand a little more how the cards fall and how to play them:0) Just get them feet wet. Good luck out there and remember to try and have fun.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a newbie, watch how other people play after you fold, but do your best to forget what you had. Don't look at "what could have been" because anyone can "get lucky" with 3h8d. But if you always play 3h8d do you think you will win more or lose more over the long term? If you lose 10 times playing 3h8d and then win 1 good hand with it, does that mean you won money overall? Or did you lose more in the 10 hands you lost?
And then the thinking goes the other way for good hands. Yeah, AdKd is going to loose, and even lose badly. But you want to be setting yourself up for long-term success.

Another thing about choosing hands this way. The reason they say to do this for beginners is to get yourself into the habit of playing these hands. It's kind of like when you do your addition tables a hundred times in gradeschool. Addition tables are not going to solve calculus problems, but by training your brain you don't even have to think about 4 + 5 by the time you get to calculus. It automatically means 9 for you. As is learning to play good hands. When you're watching 8 players for tells, calculating pot odds, fold equity and outs, and trying to take notes / keep track of what everyone is doing, you want to have a solid foundation in your head to know what to do as soon as possible so you can spend most of your time thinking about how the table has been playing.

Now, I would not suggest paying for play money. You learn too many bad habits that way. At least get started with freerolls which, although they can teach bad habits when people are going all-in, they at least do show some good play near the middle and end of the tourneys.

But the most important thing is to manage your bankroll properly. CardsChat has an excellent article on this. I would recommend learning this even before learning anything else, because if you manage to pick up a small bankroll via freerolls or a deposit, this will help keep you playing longer (even bad players can last longer with good bankroll management). So, give this a read https://www.cardschat.com/poker-bankroll-management.php

And finally, you have to rememeber one last thing. Picking a good hand is only, I dunno, 20% of the way toward winning with a good hand. You will learn so many things that go into making good hands profitable like when to push someone off their hand, when to trap, when to flat out bluff, etc. You just need picking good hands to be second nature. Oh, and don't let what people do on TV alter your style. TV only shows you hands that get action, they don't show you the massive number of hands which someone folds because they were no good. So if it seems like people on TV play junk and win all the time, it's because they aren't showing you all the logic and reasoning that goes into picking that hand to play.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's the odd thing about poker. There is no guarantee that any given hand will win, even premium ones. What's just about as bad, is when you muck your hand and you see that you would have had the winning hand. You folded - live with it , it will happen again

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Newbies are lucky and this is your trump card. You are unpredictable for your opponent. you don't play by his rules. so a good bluff will not hurt.))) good luck

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never be married to a hand. Being dealt QQ is exciting, but when the flop comes AK2, not so much. Of course you can still take down the pot, but be prepared to fold.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is necessary to observe the dynamics of the game, not to play all premium hands.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best way to improve your game quickly is to watch professional poker videos and get inspired. I recommend the show in the head of a pro.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's also important to read a book,But・・・

It's also important to read a book, but you think it has happened at the table actually, and the one of a felt thing is important actually.

Because a poker scene is because it moves with the time and It lives.