Anyone ever considered hiring a Poker Coach?

MarcusEraPoker

MarcusEraPoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Experienced players....have you considered hiring a poker coach or taking lessons?

If so, where did you go and what was important to you during your search?

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It is important that your coach himself knows how to win:)

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many very good free courses online, as well as courses you can pay for if you are so minded. Jonathan Little has a pay course that has greatly benefited a friend of mine.

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of my off table training came from ace poker drills/coach pretty helpful when i just started playing poker. after that all session reviews every end of the week.

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would hire coach on condition that I pay him from my winnings ;)

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't be afraid to invest in good coaching or a course. I've used coaching, online training sites, and online courses. Never regretted a penny I've spent. I play live mixed games and coaching has really helped me tweak my game from time to time. Study on your own, but use a coach to help identify weaknesses in your game/thought process. It pays for itself.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm going to use free online resources or pokerstars School before spending my money of a "professional"

S

Sergey Emliutin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's better to start learning poker yourself. Try to start by getting information from free poker resources and playing chips. Over time, you will already look for a coach, if you decide to improve your poker skills.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm going to use free online resources or PokerStars School before spending my money of a "professional"

Well said Albie. Until you have tried all the free learning tools that you can find all over the place, especially here on CC, an idea of a professional coach is a bit unnecessary.

I have advice from one of our Poker Guru's here on CC, and he has been a very good coach, and showing me where I do/ do not play situations correctly. Until you have been playing a while, and struggled with certain situations, you will not know what you need help with.

Go to this area of CC, ------> Learning Poker where you will find loads of help with your game, once you have searched, read, commented on various things, you will understand a bit more about your game, and then, and only then, should you seek a "poker coach". I do not believe you could contact anyone, with the question "How do I play poker?" that is too broad a subject.

Good luck.

F

FreeDom1998

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are people who are self-taught, personally the site PokerStarter very much helped me to master the game itself. And as for the coach, I would like to work at some professional poker player (to find out what exactly leads him to success), I would be very interested to know about this :)

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best coach is your emotions, control them. Every time you raise your bet, or go all in, ask yourself have you a nuts?

belka2203

belka2203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read literature that professionals advise, I watch free lessons from different coaches. Now I'm enrolled in free online courses. If they significantly improve my game, maybe I'll sign up for paid courses to this same coach. But for now I want to take everything that is free on the Internet.:icon_stud

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best places to start are RunItOnce and Upswing poker.

Lots of great content on both!

SSCCBB13

SSCCBB13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
performance

I believe that getting better in the game requires a lot of study and if you really want how proficiency you have to invest and improve performance.

Chito

Chito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve found runitonce to be the my personal favorite for PLO, while upswing has terrific tourney and cash game content. Your mileage may vary but I’ve found these two to be excellent resources.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now I do not need! .. now it's me who teaches! ... personally I never had a professor in poker ... I've been playing for more than 10 years

L

LIONINSIDE

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Experienced players....have you considered hiring a poker coach or taking lessons?

If so, where did you go and what was important to you during your search?

I had two live limit holdem coaching sessions ~10 years ago with a poster whom I respected on another forum. We played a couple of sessions together (Bellagio + Commerce) and discussed my hands afterwards.

It was a good experience overall as I learned 3 or 4 concepts that I hadn't thought of before. He also felt I was playing below my skill level and encouraged me to start taking shots in bigger games. That was a nice confidence booster.

Just be sure that the "coach" you hire is a true professional. There are many losing players out there charging beginners who don't know any better, $100+/hr for poor advice.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Upswing and some other online schools seem to be ok I have considered trying one

Kruel7y

Kruel7y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some guys coaching in my country 400$ a week? is that expensive for 1 week lesson? and they say make you Final table in MTT which is I would choose my buy-in range.is 400$ reasonable amount for 1 week coaching?

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hear something about poker samurai. they are couch player . people can find them on instagram they post many picture theyr student making FT. i hear they choose player who they want to coaching(not sure). i get invite by them on IG and wanna get couching bye them but sadly no money to pay. btw its only 1 dollar for begin.

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, many beginners thought, I think... BUT the question is is it worth it? still have to go through the mistakes yourself!

Jockerist

Jockerist

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd rather spend money on other things.

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No interest in a poker coach.I mean if they were good enough to coach then wouldn't they be winning a heck of a lot and be famous enough that they wouldn't have time to coach.Or for that matter even want to coach anyone else in his/her style.

Thecontinuer

Thecontinuer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No interest in a poker coach.I mean if they were good enough to coach then wouldn't they be winning a heck of a lot and be famous enough that they wouldn't have time to coach.Or for that matter even want to coach anyone else in his/her style.

Coaching is a different ability to playing. You can be the best player in the world and not be able to explain what you do well enough to teach it.