All-in with JJ preflop in early tournament stages?

B

BOTAFOGOES1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of a tournament without Rebuy would you pay an all-in with JJ after giving a 3-bet on an opponent?

P

PeedroZack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you need to have a good read about your opponent, if you have a HUD, you can get more information about him

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on the buy-in, number of participants and bankroll. not much info to make a decision.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard decision when it’s early in the game and you do not have much info and insight on that player.

In my experience you should consider folding because probably the best situation you will find yourself in is a coinflip. Getting into too many hands in which you are not a big favorite will cost you a tournament too often.

If your stack is still big enough to move on after saying goodbye to your 3bet then you do not need to take the 50% risk of getting busted and can still make it ITM in the end....

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of a tournament without Rebuy would you pay an all-in with JJ after giving a 3-bet on an opponent?
This is a fold without any further information.
In most cases you're flipping and if you're comfortable risking your stack so early in a tournament, go for it.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the opponent if he is playing loose worth shove to 3bet if the opponent plays more nit worth giving a cold call or depending make a 4 bet depends on whether the action closes on you and the player for NIT is worth giving cold call if it is a calling Station worth giving a 4 bet raise or even a 4 bet all in.

We have to play with strong hands, valuing our game.

:jd4:mateuspoker

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If I paid 5k to enter, I would probably fold and wait. Even if you doubled up you still have a large field. Later....after hiding in the weeds for a bit...the field will be trimmed down and this play may make better sense if offered the same opportunity.:sleep:

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I like to try all-in JJs for the first level (or two). If I survive, I have a good starting stack, and then I play tight.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ readless is not good enough to get it in preflop the first hand of the tourney. If you had reads that the villan would call with something like AJo then you could get it in with AKo or JJ.

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its too risky! Pay attention on positions, calls, and on.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on tournament buy-in and if it isn't a really huge tourney that I would risk because in early stage a lot of players could shove lower pairs or Ace with not that big kicker it alsi depends if player is playing really tight or aggro

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what you want to achieve from the tournament. Is it just for entertainment or are you playing seriously? A fold would give you a lot more opportunities to win but if you want to flip just for fun then go ahead.

C

Cory55

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually I would just flat with JJ early in a tourney, unless we're LP V LP against a aggressive type of player, BAut in my opinion no need to go crazy with Jack's early in a tourney

KJoff4u

KJoff4u

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

After a 3 bet? Late and if the inflections points are low, yes.

Early, probably would want to take more time to get a feel for the players and not risk going out that early.

F

Feroxi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, it would depend how deep stacked you are. If it is over 100 BB I think I would hit the fold button and try to find a better spot to get my chips in. I think that around 30-40 BB that I would just ship it in and hope they have Ax or 10s

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its all about the feeling you have and what the people are like at the table but I would:0) if the feeling is right its poker, you never know until you call:0)

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will likely only get calls from better pocket pairs or 2 overs.

However, if people seem to be calling/shoving light you may be able to get it in vs Ax which would be better.

Alot to risk early on though....

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If no info, I would probably fold. If it's a freeroll I go all in.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Definitely not, unless you're in for over 1/3 stack already, call & see a flop.

M

megiverz1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is pure gambling. If you do that every time you may or may not have a gambling addiction.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice try. I d done the samething. All in

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on the buy-in, number of participants and bankroll. not much info to make a decision.

I agree with that, but also need to add a structure. For example if it's 15 min blinds level deep stack for $55+, I'd say it's a fold, you have still so much of time to outplay your villains instead of gambling right now.
But if we play $3 turbo with re-buys, it's a different thing. Call without thinking, as the vast majority of players in those would do shove with a weakers hands.
It really depends.

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a good strategy

if my stack is double his stack then I would probably call if I had no information. If this is a player that is shoving consistently I would probably call because his hand is mediocre most likely.

But on the other hand, if you don’t have much information and the shove will knock you out or only leave you with a few blinds, then you should really be folding everytime as big as nuisance it may be to fold good cards. There’s a variety of cards that he can beat you with and doubling up in the first part of the tourney doesn’t guarantee you’ll make a deep run or get ITM.

You are instead tossing a coin and hopefully winning, but the tournament is hours away from you cashing and you got a 50% chance of not busting.

Do you really want to gamble your tournament on just one hand when you will be playing hundreds of hands that can help you win?

JJ, AK, AQ, even KK I have learned to get away from more often in the beginning of a tournament and this strategy has helped me get ITM more often since I’m not taken unnecessary risks in the early stages.

If this was after you got in the money then you will want to take some risk so you can make it to the FT with a large stack, but in the beginning it’s best to find better spots

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually dont mind flips early in a tournament as you often gotta win some flips to put yourself in a position to win, but what I do mind is being dominated so if I thought that was likely, I would fold.

But if half of my starting stack is already gone, Im even more likely to gamble with JJ to get back in the game.

I will try to avoid flips with JJ when it could do serious damage to a stack I worked hard to build.

Last edited: