All-in on the flop, Right?

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm on the button. 9 players at the table. The blinds are 25-50. Stacks from 2500 to 10,000. The BB raises 500 at once. I have an ace-lady. I make a call. 2 people call. The flop is opened. 9 10 J.BB makes a bet 500. He has 2000 left. I'm thinking, I'm doing all-in 1950. Everyone folds, BB calls. He shows the two kings. Turn and river do not save me.

Did I play correctly, or not?

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's hard to judge your hand because of description. How BB raises 500 and you call? it doesn't make any sense because BB is last to act. Also we don't know if it was mtt or sng, how many people left, how big was stucks because 2500 to 10000 say nothing. But as you say that in pot was 500 then 3 people joined and after a flop he bets 500 to 2000 pot I guess I would just call with a great odds. But first of all If someone opens 500 on 25/50 blinds then it means he opens 10x, right? then I would just fold preflop without info.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm on the button. 9 players at the table. The blinds are 25-50. Stacks from 2500 to 10,000. The BB raises 500 at once. I have an ace-lady. I make a call. 2 people call. The flop is opened. 9 10 J.BB makes a bet 500. He has 2000 left. I'm thinking, I'm doing all-in 1950. Everyone folds, BB calls. He shows the two kings. Turn and river do not save me.

it's hard to judge your hand because of description. How BB raises 500 and you call? it doesn't make any sense because BB is last to act. Also we don't know if it was mtt or sng, how many people left, how big was stucks because 2500 to 10000 say nothing. But as you say that in pot was 500 then 3 people joined and after a flop he bets 500 to 2000 pot I guess I would just call with a great odds. But first of all If someone opens 500 on 25/50 blinds then it means he opens 10x, right? then I would just fold preflop without info.
OP probably meant UTG raised 500.
I'm going to assume the blinds were 125/250 because you called and noted you had two callers after you(SB and BB, easy calls from those positions if blinds are 125/250).
Is this live or online?

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's online and sorry for my english is not my native language

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think your call 10bb with AQ was not the best idea, but it depends on type of tournament

M

mulliongc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If the Ace or 2 queens flopped then you made the right play. If neither flopped then you were wrong. In other words, poker is a game of fickle decisions. Some are correct and some are not with the exact same situation in place.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since you lost that one, i guess you made the wrong decision.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way I see it you were going to shove your chips in the middle no matter what happened because aq and kk were bound for a showdown.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had made a preflop raise and after the raise fold it is an echo that is a good hand but the flop did not help luck greetings:call2:

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you, I will try to learn from your advice a valuable lesson.

nop9gok

nop9gok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

your game is understandable. so you can play, you have a straight draw. If your style of play is tossing a coin. For the thinking player, there is a fold. Many factors influence the decision.

nop9gok

nop9gok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the Ace or 2 queens flopped then you made the right play. If neither flopped then you were wrong. In other words, poker is a game of fickle decisions. Some are correct and some are not with the exact same situation in place.

On the whole, his choice is not correct, since he does not know his opponent and the stacks are deep, it’s like playing for good luck every time. And poker is not only good luck but also skill

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way I see it, you are going all in without a made hand and no read on the other players. Making it a coin toss, regardless. Not sure I would make a call preflop here unless I was willing to roll dice on the hand.assuming the blinds were 25/50 as you stated. If the blinds are 125/250 its a call or shove pre flop for me. After the flop I am unfortunately not sure what I would honestly do. I would like to say I would fold in order to save my remaining chips for a better opportunity. Because risking the last 2k chips you have on a draw can't have a great ev+ I would think.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No absolute right answer .. many wrong choices.

Thank you, I will try to learn from your advice a valuable lesson.

Personally I believe the answer lies in whether you are playing freerolls or for cash. Can you afford to lose .. because the odds may not be great in your favour and you may be playing with only a few outs. I really don't like relying on the river to save your game. Bad freeroll play can also lead to bad habits that carry on to real money games.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I.m assuming that the player's positions are as usual and you are playing after the BB.
BB makes a 10BB bet and your senses don't rise?. OK, you call as most players would. Flop goes down, your hand hasn't improved and you are hit with anothe 10BB. At this point I'd be thinking he has Aces and would fold. Although your allin odds are good, they're not much use.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, you did not play badly. What you have lost does not mean that you have played the wrong way. In your case I would have done the same. The remaining cards did not help and the River could not save you. But I do not agree with those who think that the hand is well played only if we win and in case of losing it was badly played. regards

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will never know on what card you will win and on what you will lose everything. Sometimes I'd drop a few aces and sometimes I'd win small things. One can assume but not know.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been doing everything I can to avoid pre-flop all ins. The flip is making me hate poker so I've been trying to avoid it at all cost. You got to see the flop and you had a possible straight, its mostly up to you how you can play it next. A lot of people would use ICM or other strategies but its still your hand clicking the button.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been doing everything I can to avoid pre-flop all ins. The flip is making me hate poker so I've been trying to avoid it at all cost. You got to see the flop and you had a possible straight, its mostly up to you how you can play it next. A lot of people would use ICM or other strategies but its still your hand clicking the button.

This is something I'm realizing after playing freerolls a lot, where players like to all-in early and often. Your skill edge as a player coming here to study, learn, and understand is wasted on all-in preflops. There's no skill involved (other than card selection and opponent range reading), and that gives a relative advantage to fish or donks. Basically you're paying some of your EV, on average, if you call an all-in compared to seeing the flop due to the difference in EV from not being able to exert your edge. But if someone is insistent on going all-in many times, there's nothing you can do but call.

NeZlo4

NeZlo4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In my opinion calling the flop would be more correct. And on the turn to make a decision.
But error is probably on the preflop

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the mistake was preflop, calling with AQ 10bb, and then you wouldn’t even AJ, or a younger straight draw on such a flop

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone raises to 10bb, just fold, unless you have KK+ or have a good read on the opponent. (If he is doing it every hand. for example)

Anjo

Anjo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker as we know it is a game of odds, you played well only that you believed in luck and it did not hurt you.
We have to fold sometimes.