DID I PLAY THIS WRONG ?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ususal $50 live game last night, $2,000 in chips, blings $25 and $50 on the button in the first hand and i get delt
:5s4: :5d4:
6 callers and I raise from $50 to $200. All 6 players call, very worrying but now its a huge pot.

FLOP

:4d4: :jd4: :5h4:

UTG bets out $250, player 3 raises to $500, player 4 raises to $1,000, I fold my set, ver y worried about pocket jacks and the obvious draws.

TURN

:10d4:

UTG Bets $250, PLAYER 3 folds, Player 4 Calls

RIVER

:5c4:

UTG Bets all in- player 4 calls

Showdown player 4 shows 2-pair jacks and tens, UTG shows KK and wins.
Missed a huge pot, did I give these players to much credit? Was I correct to fold the set on the flop ? Any ideas would be welcome.
UTG had pocket kings.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know, I would have said go with 3 of a kind, but whether I would have called $1000 bet??? Obviously you have to guess what opponents are betting, raising and re-raising with - overpairs, AJ, KJ, flush draw, straight draw - you had them all beat except JJ. Then 3rd diamond flopped, would you have folded then? Probably, so you saved yourself some money. 4th 5 was just cruel. In conclusion, don't know mate, sorry!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise more to narrow the field (a 4BB raise is good with 1 or 2 others in the pot, but you need to raise more with 6 limpers) or alternatively fold preflop, but once you're in you push on that flop given the betting. Only one single hand is beating you at the moment and if you're going to fold fearing set over set you may as well fold KK every time you're faced with a preflop raise because you fear AA. People are more likely to be betting into that flop with flush/straight draws, AJ/KJ etc than JJ.

Besides, it's very difficult to believe anyone would let a 6-way pot develop with AA/KK/QQ/JJ, so it's even harder to put anyone on JJ. Sure, UTG won but played it hilariously badly considering that he let a 6-way pot develop while holding KK, and he just got lucky on the river.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know about raising more pre-flop. You only had pair of 5's, and I thought your original raise was too much. I'd have just called, and thrown away if 5 didn't hit (not if it 5 DID hit LOL!).

Last edited:
IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with Rob, I never raise preflop with a little pocket pair as even hitting the small set is no guarantee. I would have probably dumped this hand after the turn when the 3rd diamond hit as folks seem to always play two of a suit. I never try to second guess the decision I made as long as it was a good one for the conditions at the time. The last 5 coming on the river is a pisser though...

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You raise more to isolate and hopefully take the pot away later from a player with overcards that don't hit (you have to think people are limping in here with hands like Ax suited/KJo/JQo/98s etc), not necessarily because your hand is wonderful. If someone reraises of course you say "whoops" and fold. :)

That said, there's a case for flat-calling too, though personally I probably fold this preflop unless I'm SB/BB, when I'll call/check and hope for a set and no draws on the board, or on the button/in late position where I raise and hope I can use position to my advantage post-flop.

Last edited:
tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok thanks for all the opinions guys. The main reason i folded was that it was the first hand in the game, and I wanted to be in with a chance, I raised because i figured that a small raise would get rid of at least some of the limpers and give me the chance of seeing the turn card for free. (check to the raiser ect).

I folded because with a 6 way pot and holding a small set that the chances of me taking anyone off their draws was very slim, 2 players went all in after all, so there was a huge number of ways that i could be beat.

this hand also helped me hugely, it left the table with a poor player on a large stack, 2 players short staked and 1 knocked out. I ended up in 2nd, big stack went out in 3rd. Cant complain really i was just wondering if looking back it was a stupid fold. After all these are the real money making hands in poker.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have folded after the turn card because of a possible flush. What are the odds the five will come up on the river. Even if you get a full house with another jack on the river, there is the possibility that someone has a Jack, 10, resulting in a higher full house.

K

KK_Cowboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well

To be quite honest, I am not sure why you threw that hand away on the flop. I mean sure someone likely has a draw, and someone could have trip j's, but if you are beat with J's at this point that's bad luck, and the draws, well even if someone caught a draw, you still had boat possibilities. To be quite honest I think you made a mistake throwing this away. As the saying goes, can't win if you don't play.

Sorry if my posts seems rude and harsh, but well you give me that spot there isn't a way I would have folded.

B

bradf024

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What i would have done is come over the top on them! you have 2 choices folding or all in, obviosly the other players have some type of hand , not as good as yours though. By going all in you can illiminate the draws in the hand and probably be called by an inferior hand! double up city