$Freeroll NLHE MTT: I know I had bad luck, but could I have done something different?

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$Freeroll NLHE MTT: I know I had bad luck, but could I have done something different?

This happened in the ACR CC tournament today. It was in the bubble, I think there were 5 places left for the money. But honestly I am not very interested in winning $ 1, I really try to reach the top positions.

Game started at: 2019/09/26 01:46:31
Game ID: 120817808 300/600 CardsChat $100 Daily Freeroll, Table 7 (Hold'em)
Seat 8 is the button
Seat 1: chipevil (5059).
Seat 2: jmdaminato (18989).
Seat 3: Igorek1313 (4421).
Seat 4: mouthradio (9278).
Seat 5: woohoosuedoyles (5436).
Seat 6: tahoeden44 (8430).
Seat 7: gon4iypes (14513).
Seat 8: LenaDelM (10579).

I'm in the big blind with 45s and 30 blinds. The MP opens with 2 blinds and the CO pays. I think I had never played this hand but the circumstances seemed favorable to me to see a flop, since I am quite sure of the range of my 2 opponents and the pot odds are favorable, I have to pay one blind for a pot of 6.5 and my chances are something like 25%.

Pot: 4500

*** FLOP ***: [7d 6h 3h]
Player jmdaminato checks
Player mouthradio checks
Player gon4iypes bets (4500)
Player jmdaminato calls (4500)
Player mouthradio folds

Beautiful flop for me, my hand is quite hidden. I want to get all the chips from my opponent, that's why I check. But I wonder, should I check-raise?

POT: 13500

*** TURN ***: [7d 6h 3h] Q♠
Player jmdaminato checks
Player gon4iypes allin (8738)
Player jmdaminato calls (8738)

The moment he goes all-in I have the nuts. I think he can have sets or top pair and is protecting his hand. Or is a semi-bluff with a color project. But if so, there is only one card left to complete the project, that is, the odds are approximately 80% in my favor. So I pay and he shows his cards: A10 of hearts

*** RIVER ***: [7d 6h 3h Qs] 2♥

He completes the flush and wins the pot.

As I said, I know I had bad luck. But I would like to know if I could have played the hand in a better way.
On the other hand I also analyze the play of my opponent. Was it a good semibluff or just a lucky donk bet?

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As said pre flop you've got good pot odds to make the call and flop the nuts. Did he have the nut flush ? He lead out probably wanting to set the price for him to hit his flush on the flop his turn all in isn't great but he's probably putting you on some kind of draw also . you should of jammed with remaining stack on the flop your not giving him pots odds to hit his draw deeper stacked you could have called but all in is the only play here for me. He may have called anyway. Unlucky he had around 40% equity on the flop meaning you wouldn't have gave him the pot odds to profitably make the call

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's very unlikely that he would have folded the nut flush draw with 2 overcards at any point in the hand, so the result would have been the same.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have gone all in myself with the nuts and a flush draw on the board, and it is possible that your opponent would have folded, especially since it was on the bubble and you had him covered. The way you checked and called signaled weakness and he correctly used his flush draw all-in as a semibluff.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have gone all in myself with the nuts and a flush draw on the board, and it is possible that your opponent would have folded, especially since it was on the bubble and you had him covered. The way you checked and called signaled weakness and he correctly used his flush draw all-in as a semibluff.

But I didn't want him to fold. Actually the size of his bet on the flop made me think that he didn't have a color project, since I would have expected him to have tried to get a free or cheaper card, no more than 50% of the pot.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But I didn't want him to fold. Actually the size of his bet on the flop made me think that he didn't have a color project, since I would have expected him to have tried to get a free or cheaper card, no more than 50% of the pot.

Of course you didn't want him to fold, I never implied that you checked and called without thinking or paying attention, all I was saying was that I would have done it differently, which doesn't make it right by any means. I bet when I make a hand because trapping gives my opponents a chance to suck out and instead of gaining a moderate amount of chips I end up losing a large amount. Just like not raising preflop with AA, sometimes it works great, but many times it leads to disasters so I avoid doing it.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only thing I would say is preflop that you're playing a hand out of position against a stack that can seriously hurt you. You played it very smart post flop to extract value but got very unlucky at the end.