BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys.

Looking for your thoughts on this hand in the first hand of the CC Survivor free roll last night.

9 of us at the table, 3000 starting chips. I was position 2. BB =30 SB =15

I was dealt AQclubs. UTG folded. I raised to 3xBB (90) . Position 3,4 and 5 folded and position 6 raised to 360. Everyone else folded to me. I sat and pondered our respective positions, the fact it was the first hand of a freeroll, albeit it was a survivor game, and the fact that I had no read on my opponent.

I chose to call....given the potential range of the 6th place player, albeit aware he could genuinely have a big hand! 495 in the pot.

The flop came.

I can't recall the first two cards, but were something like 4d 8s. The third flop card was Qhearts.

So, I had top pair. I pot raised. 990 now in the pot.

My opponent went ALL IN.

Wondered what would be your play now?

Thanks

BB

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You hit 1 of your best cards he could be jamming with 99 1010 jj hoping you don't have a Q or he played it straight forward and has KK or AA or even a 57 hearts or some other random air he wanted to go crazy with. In this case i would be calling if i called his 3 bet pre flop, led out and got jammed on. I don't like to fold much so no hero folds here.

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that only strong hand are playing so (AA, KK). as for me, i folded there. you should better fold preflop, cause you was in UTG and opponent re-raised you.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without info its fold preflop - 3b 4x against UTG is strong enough.
Flop - pot control. Let him continue his aggression, check-call resonable bet.
as played fold

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Also folding that hand after being 3bet preflop! Would call only if I am on FT with 4-5 players or less left or shortstacked ...

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is useless to guess the strength of the villain’s hand. His range in this situation is very wide. In freerolls, especially in their initial stage, there are a lot of maniacs playing too aggressively with any two cards. Your decision comes down to answering the question whether you are ready to go all-in with a pair of QQ.:icon_joke

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
Hi there.
So you have no read on your opponent right?

Well, no problem imo.
So he 3-bets you preflop hugely and you make the call.
Ok, so lets work with that.

Its a freeroll so he can be a maniac or be a very good player right?
First of all, he/she is not a good player.
Why?
Because if he/she was they would've played an overpair or trips differently.
They would never push on that flop, because they would want to extract as much value as possible from the hand.

So if I was in your shoes i would call.
And if it turns out i get busted then no problem, but i did gain a very important thing.
And that is info on this player. And we definitely will meet again in the CC freerolls.
So this is very valuable info for you.
So if you call and bust you still will gain a lot of important info for the future:idea:

But most of the time you will win there though.
Just as you don't have a read on him so he also doen't have a read on you.
So you could be easily trapping with trips or an overpair:D

So gl on the tables and see you on the felt:cool:

Last edited:
L

Lazerx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snap

Hi guys.

Looking for your thoughts on this hand in the first hand of the CC Survivor free roll last night.

I was dealt AQclubs. UTG folded. I raised to 3xBB (90) . Position 3,4 and 5 folded and position 6 raised to 360. Everyone else folded to me. I sat and pondered our respective positions, the fact it was the first hand of a freeroll, albeit it was a survivor game, and the fact that I had no read on my opponent.

I chose to call....given the potential range of the 6th place player, albeit aware he could genuinely have a big hand! 495 in the pot.

The flop came.

I can't recall the first two cards, but were something like 4d 8s. The third flop card was Qhearts.

My opponent went ALL IN.

Thanks

BB
i woulda snap called with top pair ace kicker

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain Range?

Hi guys.

The flop came.

My opponent went ALL IN.

Thanks

BB

Thank you for posting.

Villains range preflop after 4x 3 bet is what? Your range in villain's mind after you raise call is what?
Your range to pot lead flop is what? Is QQ 88 44 Q8 AA KK in your lead range?
Villains shove range after you pot lead Q84 is what?

Can villain know you would fold TPTK in a freeroll? If we look at data gathered here by the posts it would seem mostly no.

You raised utg showing strength /you call 4x 3 bet showing strength/ you lead flop on a "dry board" showing strength. Why would villain think you would fold? In a freeroll.

Villain may not be thinking. If not call. If villain does think fold.

Hope this helps

:):)

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys.

The flop came.

My opponent went ALL IN.

Thanks

BB

Because it's a freeroll, you know there are going to be some clowns. You are not getting the right odds to call preflop if we go with a conventional 3bet range, so you would have to expect a wider range due to the nature of freerolls. If you are confident in that, then you still have a tight call, but doable. Once the queen hits, you have good equity if they are shoving all AK, but have poor equity if they are not shoving AK. Then you are left with tons of combos that beat you. I get paranoid about stuff like this myself. But the correct play is probably a fold even though it is a freeroll. outside of a freeroll, it is definitively a fold.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not folding he can still have QK or QJs. Could be spazzing with JJ or 1010 early or just have random holdings.

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Consider just folding preflop. As played, I prefer check-raising all in to leading.

A

Alijohn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Because its freeroll you could call this hand. But in real money poker you probably got beaten to AAs or KKs.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands