This is a discussion on $5 NLHE Full Ring: KQo straight with flush draw on the board within the online poker forums, in the Cash Game Hand Analysis section; 888 Poker - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4
UTG: 100 BB (VPIP: 13.64, PFR: 11.82, 3Bet Preflop: 6.25, Hands: 112)
I'm pretty sure there's more than just flushes in his range, but I know the turn is a bad card for me. Should I be folding here? If so, where?
25th February 2016, 5:29 PM
Online Poker at: Pokerstars
Game: Texas Holdem
I'd suggest a fold preflop. I know it's only 17 hands, but he seems to be a PFR nit. If he's the least bit positionally aware, then he's got a strong range.
It's probably close with coldcalling and 3-betting, though.
In fact, I think 3-betting is better than coldcalling. Coldcalling only gets other people in the pot, and opens us up for a squeeze.
As played, fold the turn. We don't know if improving to a pair does us any good, so maybe assign 2 outs for that, 2 for the potentially dominated gutshot, and 5 for the second-nut flush. Reverse implied odds make this a very uninteresting proposition.
As played, you can't fold the river. But I don't like his bet sizing. We're losing often.
26th February 2016, 11:27 PM
Poker at: Pokerstars
we are underrepped.
Set of tens could bet on river like this
26th February 2016, 11:52 PM
I would raise on flop or re-raise on turn, to see where i am in that hand.
what is the result of this hand? his cards?
27th February 2016, 3:22 AM
Fold pre. Fold turn. You're dominated against a nit pre. Turn you are not drawing to the nuts, and have reverse implied odds even if you do hit your hand. Probably calling river, and expecting to either split or lose a decent amount of the time. Folding is fine va that sizing too. Probably neutral EV to call/fold. If he has a flush, NH. Seems weird that he wouldn't c-bet the flop with a flush draw though.
In general, you need to stop the majority of your cold-calling OTB/CO/out of the blinds. This is a very big leak, and not doing this boosted my winrate a lot.
If you are going to cold-call OTB/from the blinds, your postflop game needs to be super good to counter the fact that we don't have initiative in the hand (which is super helpful), may be OOP if we cold-call from the hands, and possibly not card advantage. You need to be able to win pots without making a hand. Here, it's probably somewhat +EV to stab flop with the 2nd nut BDFD + two overs when the PFR checks and possibly barrel off on certain board runouts. Not sure what he had here, but in general when the PFR checks here, he's whiffed. He's not checking overpairs on a semi-wet board multi-way, and probably c-betting NFD.
27th February 2016, 5:31 AM
6bet me 
Online Poker at: PokerStars
re: Poker & $5 NLHE Full Ring: KQo straight with flush draw on the board
Preflop: you should be 3betting to 7bb. Why give up the initiative, allow multiway pots and allow yourself to be squeezed like this?
Flop: you should definitely take a stab at this flop. Your aim is to fold out Ace high hands and low pocket pairs that were planning on set-mining then check-folding the flop if they missed. In addition to that, you have 2 overcards, a backdoor nut straight draw and a backdoor second nut flush draw. Bet something like 70% pot.
Turn: This is a close one but I'm probably calling, only because I have 2 draws, a gutshot and 2 overcards. Also, the villain could be taking a stab at the pot after it checked around, so he's not necessarily that strong. I'm not super excited but I feel we have to call.
River: I'm probably calling this 95% of the time and raise-folding the other 5% of the time (only when I'm in a thin value bet mode and want to get more value off fish. I would NEVER expect a 5NL villain to be 3betting a hand worse than a flush in this spot, so I'm not the slightest bit concerned about getting bluffed off my hand, but my concern is that this pot-sized bet is highly indicative of a flush, so I'd typically take the 2 to 1 pot odds I'm getting and not try to fold out too many worse hands in his range). I'm never folding this though because it's only 13bb and the villain could be betting much worse hands, like sets or 2 pairs.
27th February 2016, 1:04 PM
I agree with the fold pre... Since moving to this site I've started calling more pre whereas before it'd basically just be to set mine.