$2 NLHE 6-max: Why is so hard to fold AA?

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taking into cosideration a couldcall off 55 to TT and some suited conectors like 67s to T9s(it could be more or less depending on de vilain) also some A2 to A5s could be.
that board impact heavelly in his rang,he made there 9 combos off set, 6 combos off 55 that had strait,2 combos off dobles 67d and 67c,i only beat 6 combos off 88,6 combos off TT,3 combos off T pair(i think that he maith play that way only the 89s) them 17 combos that beats me and 15 combos i beat,its a very bad spot for AA but even knowing that why is so hard to drop them( eventually he could have any random hand like the one he had,this is micro and vilains dont play with a estrategy)
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/524sPPogV

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So there's a few things in this spot

1. Your pre-flop raise was a sizing that basically allowed the table to come in. If you're looking to protect, you want to polarize your bet and get heads up with hands that are willing to pay you off. However.....

2. When you are dealt a hand like AA, you want to try to extract the most value. Building a pot with a 3x bet pre-flop is reasonable, but in micro stakes you will most likely get called by anything.

3. When the 2nd diamond hits the turn, the only thing I can put them on is a flush draw/pair with a flush draw. Once the river bricks out, I feel comfortable betting the best pair. If you lose, you say nice hand and move on. Realize what they called with and try to protect more next time.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
KK becomes a bluff in a check-raise turn

Hi freddydr87, thanks for posting this amazing question: why is so hard to leave AA?
Cash Games can be really boring sometimes. Sometimes we stay more than one hour without getting any good hand, and then comes a AA. We are eager to build up a pot with this hand, because we are a very long time just watching the game, that our emotions grow up upon our reason and we forget pot odds, range, villain, etc.
The magic happens when we have AA and get called! Wonderful! But wait a second...

A) We know for sure that AA is destroying 80% , so there's nothing to worry about right?

Yes, the 20% times that is certain as the day and the night that we are going to lose and miss with Pocket A's, we have to lose as minimum as possible. Minimize our losses with AA is essential to balance our range.
We should not play AA, KK, and AKs, we should have an ideia of how do we play our range, AA it is just a pair, it is the best one but it is just a pair. How many times do we lose value playing AA in a bad run and on the other hand make a massive EV profit with marginal hands such as 76s, 22, K4s, etc? Is it really AA who makes most money at the Cash Tables? 1 out of 221 times we will be dealt AA.
If our image is a little bit Tight at the table, we are going to have a lot of preflop folds. When we are Tight and we 3bet AA we have a lot of folds. So, when do we call with AA, when do we 3bet, and postflop specially, when do we C-bet with AA, when do we not C-bet.
As I said before, congratulations for your nice work against recreational players at the micros.

Villain's tells that it is a recreational:

A) It has a broken stack (95.5 blinds).
B) Cold Calls in Position versus a Regular from MP (you) in the top of his range, maybe trying to trap preflop, maybe trying to find -EV ways to play KK, QQ and JJ in a spot like that.
C) Villain in the CO calls your C-bet Flop because it really believes it has the best hand by far. Villain CO it is not even looking at the board when your C-bet happens. The price you gave is hard to pay with KK there. (You bet a little more than 1/2 Pot).
D) In the Turn, we in the MP do a gigantic C-bet Turn and wow! A gigantic check-raise! Again, Villain the CO is making a very value hand becomes a bluff, because I don't see any reasons for sets, straights and flush draws for so doing.
For the size bet we made Flop and Turn we are already telling our opponent that this check-raise it is an easy call. A call with this KK here, in CO's shoes would be much more profitable. But the player in the CO is playing "hands" not "ranges" and now he believes that this check-raise Turn could be really be paid by worse hands!

hands that logically could be calling a check-raise turn:

AA, 77, 66, 44, 99, 97s, 76s, perhaps Ad7d, (some crazy will snap call here TT, JJ, QQ and KK...)

Lol, why did Villain in CO shoved the River? Because villain thought that she/he could be paid by worse hands! And we don't see any worse hand calling here. It sucks, many times we are going to fold in a spot like that and many times a recreational will show up some 97s or 33, but we must remember who we are playing with.
Your call here is very easy freddydr87 because you have information about the recreational players you are dealing with, and so it makes your lines much more easy.
Against a better player I would easily be folding a river like that. Against a better player, I would not even C-bet this Flop, to begin with, because it hits more the player in position than the player out of position's range. Make the pot grow too much in circumstances like it, versus good regulars, make we lose too much.

Put up a note in the CO player: it never leaves KK IP in a low board. It plays the absolute value of its hands not ranges. Can be easily exploited.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
So there's a few things in this spot

1. Your pre-flop raise was a sizing that basically allowed the table to come in. If you're looking to protect, you want to polarize your bet and get heads up with hands that are willing to pay you off. However.....

2. When you are dealt a hand like AA, you want to try to extract the most value. Building a pot with a 3x bet pre-flop is reasonable, but in micro stakes you will most likely get called by anything.

3. When the 2nd diamond hits the turn, the only thing I can put them on is a flush draw/pair with a flush draw. Once the river bricks out, I feel comfortable betting the best pair. If you lose, you say nice hand and move on. Realize what they called with and try to protect more next time.

1. Your preflop raise should be indifferent of your holding, raising bigger with strong hands is bad habit.

2. Same here.

3. Why you put villain on a FD only, why villain won't have sets, straights and two pairs? What happened to those hands in villain's range?

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
OP, it's obvious from your posts you are very weak player.Don't get offended, i'm not trying to insult you. It's great that you are posting so many hands and raising questions. I just wonder why you post only winning hands. I hope it's not to show off.

Back to the hand. On these kind low straight boards, you should check AA 100% of time. AA doesn't have 3 streets of value and doesn't need that much protection. Especially AA MUST BE check, because you block top pair top kicker. It's much better to bet with JJ, because with JJ you don't block Ax hands and JJ needs more protection.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket AA, All-In, Steal the Blinds, Double-Up, or Knocked-Out. It`s Coin-Flipp`en Time.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that AA excellent hand for making money! Just when it was repurchased is stored for a long time! Look into the history of the hands I think AA is always a plus! Well, throw that hand great skill!

J

jasonryan0623

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
OP, it's obvious from your posts you are very weak player.Don't get offended, i'm not trying to insult you. It's great that you are posting so many hands and raising questions. I just wonder why you post only winning hands. I hope it's not to show off.

Back to the hand. On these kind low straight boards, you should check AA 100% of time. AA doesn't have 3 streets of value and doesn't need that much protection. Especially AA MUST BE check, because you block top pair top kicker. It's much better to bet with JJ, because with JJ you don't block Ax hands and JJ needs more protection.

Sorry but I agree with this guy

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never get why someone being good or bad at poker should impact the hand analysis.

Now for the hand, I believe the preflop and flop were very standard approaches although you could bet higher on the flop.

On the turn our opponents range picks up more equity and even though we want to protect our aces we don't want to put ourselves into a position where we stack off to an all in or big raise from them.
Yes there are plenty of flush draws and straight draws that floated us on the flop, but there are also sets in their range.
Taking that into account I would rather check/call turn.

As played, the river is a brick for them and we have to call since we called turn, but vs a tight aggressive player they are mostly doing that with value and we are beat.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not being able to fold AA generally comes down to entitlement. When player gets dealt AA they feel they are deserving of the chips that end up in the middle of the pot.

This is a great video from one of the upswing coaches talking about 10 time’s he folded aces and the reasoning behind each spot. I hope this helps from the mental side on why AA is hard to fold!

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should bet on flop because you extracting value from 8A 87 55 56 88 99 89 9T and sometimes 22,33, 5A, overcards TT or even JJ. I would consider folding on turn specially is 3way pot. The river is a clear fold

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played fine vs a caller. If you get much push back you gotta be willing to fold. Luckily you were against a calling station.

Folding in Poker