$2 NLHE 6-max: Top and bottom pairs turn decision after check-raising gets called

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players, ZOOM/SNAP
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.02 (101 bb)
MP: $0.72 (36 bb)
CO: $0.83 (42 bb)
BU: $1.15 (58 bb)
SB: $2.17 (109 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.96 (148 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with 6 Q
UTG raises to $0.06, 1 fold, CO calls $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.25) 8 6 Q (4 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks, BTN bets $0.16, Hero raises to $0.42, 2 players fold, BTN calls $0.26

Turn: ($1.09) J (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.67 (all-in), Hero calls $0.67

Questions:
1. What ranges do you put BTN on?
2. Should I continue to barrel the turn? Looks like I could give away a free card if BTN is drawing flush

BTN had KdQc

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Any stats or history on how he has played so far? I would say he has QT+ or other flush draw combos. In my experience, weak two pairs usually fall behind in these situations as you face a guy who is likely thinking he has top pair top kicker. On the turn he is representing JJ or QJ. Whether to believe him or not.. I would say give him the benefit of the doubt for a few rounds and fold.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BU can have a good bit of Qx. Certainly Q8 to beat you, 66 and 88 are definatley in his range, i wouldn't say he has a lot of QQ, JJ.

I think once you c-raise flop, you can put villain all in on turn. Because of stack sizes, He is likely to call with most Qx, diamond draws, both of which we are solidly ahead of.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hard to put him on any hand because of the small raises throughout the hand. You check raise on the turn is small such that all Qx hands all flush hands all over-pairs all straight draws (79s and 57s) can call your check raise. Over-pairs would most likely have raised preflop so would discount them mostly. Then again he bets into a multi way pot which if hes a good player makes that he should have a strong made hand or a very strong draw. So a range between a fish and good player after the BTN bets the turn are:
Agro Fish (Maniac):
57s, 79s, T9s, J9s, JTs, KTs, Qxs, Axs diamonds (any suited diamond?) + 66, 88, 86, Q8, Q6, Qx (broadway), T9, .....
Good player:
Axs, T9s, QJ, KTs, K9s of diamonds, T9s, QJs and perhaps some other hands, but mostly value hands and premium draws.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looked at the spoiler and saw his hand it is in their but then again a reasonable LAG on the specific level might indeed turn up with such a hand as it has a blocker to some good holdings you can have.

As for the second question yes would barrel the turn it gains a lot of value against passive fish and does not loose much value against other players (also due to Stack Pot Ratios it is only a 1/2 pot bet such that also good draws will call).

Last edited:
TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BU can have a good bit of Qx. Certainly Q8 to beat you, 66 and 88 are definatley in his range, i wouldn't say he has a lot of QQ, JJ.

I think once you c-raise flop, you can put villain all in on turn. Because of stack sizes, He is likely to call with most Qx, diamond draws, both of which we are solidly ahead of.

Disregard this post. I didn't see that hero 3-bet. :eek::eek: Sorry!!

777alex777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your preflop call with Q6s is very bad and will often lead you to difficult postflop situations and expensive mistakes. As for the situation on the turn, you are either far ahead or far behind, given the chances of the Bank would have to play push. Without statistics to determine the range of preflop call btn is not possible

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
your preflop call with Q6s is very bad and will often lead you to difficult postflop situations and expensive mistakes. As for the situation on the turn, you are either far ahead or far behind, given the chances of the Bank would have to play push. Without statistics to determine the range of preflop call btn is not possible

it was pretty good call as you get the great odds. Of course if you know what to do postflop with that kind of hands in 4 way.

Anyway it's nl2. We hit two pairs then I prefer to donkbet it. People are very passive postlop on these stakes and I don't want to see checks and give them a free card.

as played I would 2nd barrel. He is a fish. He can show you there many worse hands even if the jack is a bad turn card.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree too that we should call, but more importantly bet if we are aiming for 2 digits win-rate. His range as a whole is wide, any made hand or draw really, given he has fish like stack, 2NL and flop texture. Our effective spr makes this easy too, no second thought needed. Also, as long as we read him fish we also should assume that he doesen't care too much if the hand is multi-way or not. He can be nit too, but we should go with the solution that looks most probable.

Last edited:
B

Bullseye187

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are way more combos of AJ, KJ, AQ, KQ than QJ that probably think they have the best hand. I would call.