$2 NLHE 6-max: am I correct calling this vilan expecting a nuts draw?

PirataJJ

PirataJJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

DanLad7 (UTG): $2.27 (114 bb)
KayJay3 (MP): $1.11 (56 bb)
Atomix37 (CO): $2.87 (144 bb)
jo99ma15ju16 (BU): $2.00 (100 bb)
rattazana (SB): $3.13 (157 bb)
Bwolfsea (BB): $2.32 (116 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (Bwolfsea) is BB with A K
1 fold, KayJay3 (MP) calls $0.02, 2 players fold, rattazana (SB) calls $0.01, Bwolfsea (BB) raises to $0.06, KayJay3 (MP) calls $0.04, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.14) 7 2 5 (2 players)
Bwolfsea (BB) bets $0.07, KayJay3 (MP) raises to $0.24, Bwolfsea (BB) calls $0.17

Turn: ($0.62) K (2 players)
Bwolfsea (BB) checks, KayJay3 (MP) bets $0.78, Bwolfsea (BB) calls $0.78

River: ($2.18) 9 (2 players)
Bwolfsea (BB) bets $0.08, KayJay3 (MP) calls $0.03 (all-in)

Total pot: $2.24 (Rake: $0.08)

Showdown:
Bwolfsea (BB) shows A K (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 74%, Flop: 29%, Turn: 16%, River: 0%)

KayJay3 (MP) shows 3 K (a flush, King high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 26%, Flop: 71%, Turn: 84%, River: 100%)

KayJay3 (MP) wins $2.16

what you think about this hand?
:captain: Thanks for helping!

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isolate for a larger amount preflop. You are playing against a weak player limping in. The commonly accepted isolation amounts are to raise +1BB per limper and another BB if you are out of position.

With that said I prefer to bet larger on this flop and either Jam or fold against a raise depending on how deep I am with the villain and how likely it is that he can bluff. At these stakes, unless the villain is an absolute maniac raise/calling off his stack in bad spots I bet larger on the flop and fold to a raise. People don't bluff at these stakes.

I can't be bothered to do the maths for the flop but I don't hate a call but I'm folding any non-diamond against your average player at microstakes.

PirataJJ

PirataJJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks ScottishMatt. You talk about a pré flop raise raise 0.10, 0.12 at least whith the top pars and AK against one limper. Nice! I´m realy making often weak bets. :(

at now I was just penitent for not folding on the pos flop.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop definitely raise bigger, as you have 2 players who limped and you're out of position for the hand. Maybe 5x or even 6x

On the flop, vs that short stacked fish, I'm getting the money in on the flop. And then not hitting my flush, but anyway...

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have tried on the flop but then on the turn I would have abandoned my AK even if the turn was a K like in this case, but anyway I think you took a risk and unfortunately it did not go well, I wish you better luck next time

PirataJJ

PirataJJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
adjustments

Preflop definitely raise bigger, as you have 2 players who limped and you're out of position for the hand. Maybe 5x or even 6x

On the flop, vs that short stacked fish, I'm getting the money in on the flop. And then not hitting my flush, but anyway...

definitely, raise more pre flop would make this villain fold on most moves
:rolleyes:

PirataJJ

PirataJJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have tried on the flop but then on the turn I would have abandoned my AK even if the turn was a K like in this case, but anyway I think you took a risk and unfortunately it did not go well, I wish you better luck next time

i agree. This King don´t have enough value for calling on this wet flop

thanks!:)

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where it went wrong was the flop betting.

OK, he limp-called your pre-flop raise behind you, then re-raised your continuation bet.

The range of hands the villain does this with crushes your hand. At this level, it's a pretty broad range. It's got sets, pairs from the board, overpairs, already-made flushes. There's some thin bluffs in there with like the Kd or a straight draw or something, but you're not even comfortably ahead of those on average.

So when you're way behind the range of hands villain may have, you absolutely do not want to call. That leaves fold or raise.

At this level, your re-raise is going to fold out the naked bluffs but not much else, even the decent pairs are going to call you down. He's now committed money to the pot with this hand three times. Unless you've seen him lay down to the third bet on the flop a few times with position, I wouldn't try it. You could make a case for it, though. But definitely not fold calling.

Last edited:
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

DanLad7 (UTG): $2.27 (114 bb)
KayJay3 (MP): $1.11 (56 bb)
Atomix37 (CO): $2.87 (144 bb)
jo99ma15ju16 (BU): $2.00 (100 bb)
rattazana (SB): $3.13 (157 bb)
Bwolfsea (BB): $2.32 (116 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (Bwolfsea) is BB with A K
1 fold, KayJay3 (MP) calls $0.02, 2 players fold, rattazana (SB) calls $0.01, Bwolfsea (BB) raises to $0.06, KayJay3 (MP) calls $0.04, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.14) 7 2 5 (2 players)
Bwolfsea (BB) bets $0.07, KayJay3 (MP) raises to $0.24, Bwolfsea (BB) calls $0.17

Turn: ($0.62) K (2 players)
Bwolfsea (BB) checks, KayJay3 (MP) bets $0.78, Bwolfsea (BB) calls $0.78

River: ($2.18) 9 (2 players)
Bwolfsea (BB) bets $0.08, KayJay3 (MP) calls $0.03 (all-in)

Total pot: $2.24 (Rake: $0.08)

Showdown:
Bwolfsea (BB) shows A K (a pair of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 74%, Flop: 29%, Turn: 16%, River: 0%)

KayJay3 (MP) shows 3 K (a flush, King high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 26%, Flop: 71%, Turn: 84%, River: 100%)

KayJay3 (MP) wins $2.16

what you think about this hand?
:captain: Thanks for helping!

You could have either jammed OTF, since you have trememdous range advantage or you could be jamming OTT, because even if Villain presents a flush, you are still drawing to the nut flush.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey homie, thanks for posting.

I mostly agree with Kyle said.

Raise more pre. These guys are calling with sh%t, as you proved. I like .12 here, since you are OOP. If they fold, awesome, let's get them used to that.

OTF, I don't mind the cbet, but just know as Kyle said, his range crushed yours on this board. Typically you'd get a lot of fish to call with air chasing the 4 flush with Kd or Qd.

When he raises, I think your options are shove or fold. If he's aggro, shove. If you've never seen this from him, then fold. Hard to believe he's doing this with air/draw since many players are calling his raise, so its a bad spot to bluff.

Anyway, live and learn.

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you jam the flop after he rasies you've got about 50% equity against top pair and overpairs and a small amount of fold equity.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Definitely raise larger as many have already said

Flop
I am going to go against the majority here and say, that I like your flop line. Folding the nut flushdraw on the flop would be extremely nitty, and against a fish, who have raised you, I just dont see any point in turning your hand into a bluff. He is not raising you with nothing, and the fact, you have Ad means, he can not have it, which pushes his range more towards strong made hands like two pair or better. Yeah he could have Kd maybe, but in general people are way more likely to just call with a bad draw rather than raise, so its not to likely.

Turn
I prefer a fold here. You made top pair, but since his range is mostly two pair or better, it does not change much, and facing an overbet with only one card to come you are not getting a good price to continue.

PirataJJ

PirataJJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Definitely raise larger as many have already said

Flop
I am going to go against the majority here and say, that I like your flop line. Folding the nut flushdraw on the flop would be extremely nitty, and against a fish, who have raised you, I just dont see any point in turning your hand into a bluff. He is not raising you with nothing, and the fact, you have Ad means, he can not have it, which pushes his range more towards strong made hands like two pair or better. Yeah he could have Kd maybe, but in general people are way more likely to just call with a bad draw rather than raise, so its not to likely.

Turn
I prefer a fold here. You made top pair, but since his range is mostly two pair or better, it does not change much, and facing an overbet with only one card to come you are not getting a good price to continue.

yeah, I still uncomfortable to folding the nut flushdraw on the flop. thanks! :heeeellll

PirataJJ

PirataJJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Value bet. 2. Value bet. 3. Value bet. ... I will remember ! thanks

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think if your not getting the money in on the flop I think its a mistake versus a fish this is too passive
fish like doing calling with any sort of draw

if he does have the nuts you still have about 30%

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes calling but not raising. Hero got raised on the flop, and this significantly narrow down Villains range, unless he is a maniac fish or on tilt.

I might be playing these spots too aggressively but im just jamming not thinking twice about it my thinking is here still has lots of offsuit hands he calls here

Kx Qx Jx 99+ sometimes even 22-99 who knows what he's limping any offsuit connector 67o 78o 89o all with a diamond ofcourse

fish raising on the flop doesn't always mean the nuts

ive just seen players do to many crazy things here regardless of maniac or on tilt

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When vilain makes that overbet Turn i dont think he has to manny bluffes,in this level vilais dont play valanced they play full value, i would have folded that turn because vilain didnt have enough money behind for me to have implied odds in that hand.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Isolate for a larger amount preflop. You are playing against a weak player limping in. The commonly accepted isolation amounts are to raise +1BB per limper and another BB if you are out of position.

With that said I prefer to bet larger on this flop and either Jam or fold against a raise depending on how deep I am with the villain and how likely it is that he can bluff. At these stakes, unless the villain is an absolute maniac raise/calling off his stack in bad spots I bet larger on the flop and fold to a raise. People don't bluff at these stakes.

I can't be bothered to do the maths for the flop but I don't hate a call but I'm folding any non-diamond against your average player at microstakes.
I dont like betting large there is a very stavel board in were our hand cant get worse and yet can impruve a lot, i rather to bet small here,iff im lousing im lousing now, no turn or river cant make it worse for our hand.

PirataJJ

PirataJJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
fish raising on the flop doesn't always mean the nuts

ive just seen players do to many crazy things here regardless of maniac or on tilt

The 2NL is a hard place to live! :D :rock:
But I´m still believe this would better fold. I think be more profitable not make this kind of judgement on this tables.