Originally Posted by baudib1
Think of all of the PLO players you know who could never make this calldown with 1 pair.
This play is good by villain because:
1. top of his range crushes ours
2. He doesn't have the KQJ of hearts in his hand
3. This is one of the best hands he can have to turn into a bluff - he is blocking some AA/AK combos as well as many combos of 87xx/T987 etc. that hero might call a 3-bet with.
4. Even if called by a better hand, he can get paid off with AA, 7x and AQ the next time he takes this line.
1. This is not a reason in PLO, the top of any range will always crush unless we flop the nuts. His 3b of 21% is still very wide.
2. This is more of a reason to check. There are more combos of hearts in our range and checking may induce a bluff, hearts will not call a TB.
3. Why are we turning this into a bluff? The board is super dry and we have excellent showdown value. The flop and turn are definitely bets for value and to AT, the river is a brick because any AQ combos were already ahead.
4. Whilst this is true it needs to be applied situationally. It can not be used as a reason for a bluff because meta game is always a reason for a bluff. It is not enough and the board plus holdings make it illogical.