$10 NLHE 6-max: 3bet flop?

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont have any info off vilain,very few hands. When he raises me i didnt 3bet him because i didnt wanth to make his bluffes fold(i could have done it aiming for QQ or other sets,but really is a very small part off his rangue). on the river lot off his bluffes have impacted so he could fine the call, but honestlly i only spect call from sets he has allready on the flop or maibe a Tpair that raises very wide. Do you just call river or raise as well?
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/6qAw4E5

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without readings about the opponent we must protect the river with a call. From preflop we can defend 4X in BB taking into account that the initial stage will end with the action of SB, because 5-bet with JJ is a very rigorous game for a very wide range opponent and that we have well studied.
3-bet on the flop will generate low fold equity for the villain, since he has decided to commit to the pot, after continuing with his raise range. Of course this would be an efficient game, but again without specific readings we shouldn't reduce its bluff combinations.
On the turn we can check to protect our entire range. Against a slightly more open villain we could make a half pot bet to balance our preflop range. In general is important to protect our range of calls on the river, when we do not have specific readings on V.
Greetings.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without readings about the opponent we must protect the river with a call. From preflop we can defend 4X in BB taking into account that the initial stage will end with the action of SB, because 5-bet with JJ is a very rigorous game for a very wide range opponent and that we have well studied.
3-bet on the flop will generate low fold equity for the villain, since he has decided to commit to the pot, after continuing with his raise range. Of course this would be an efficient game, but again without specific readings we shouldn't reduce its bluff combinations.
On the turn we can check to protect our entire range. Against a slightly more open villain we could make a half pot bet to balance our preflop range. In general is important to protect our range of calls on the river, when we do not have specific readings on V.
Greetings.
Thanks for your analisis very helpfull.
I raise river because his bluffes no hit a pair and he could find the call,plus his value hands are dominated and will call as well(sets and doubles).

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I dont have any info off vilain,very few hands. When he raises me i didnt 3bet him because i didnt wanth to make his bluffes fold(i could have done it aiming for QQ or other sets,but really is a very small part off his rangue). on the river lot off his bluffes have impacted so he could fine the call, but honestlly i only spect call from sets he has allready on the flop or maibe a Tpair that raises very wide. Do you just call river or raise as well?
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/6qAw4E5

Well mate, there are several good possibiilties for this hand you played.
One of them you did, which was 3-bet preflop. Another one is to call preflop, considering BvB dynamic ranges: Villain could have folded a lot of bluffs preflop, to our 3-bet and we want to avoid it.

That being said, SB should not be raising you OTF, ever: SB never has the nuts for this situation, but a lot of bluffs. The point here is that SB already invested a significant ammount of chips and I don't see any reason to be flatting OTF to make the odds of my opponent better.
SB could only have any Back Door Flush, for example, with Clubs, Diamonds or Hearts and by calling it, SB can jam its draws OTT already.
SB could only have a Gutshot, that should not be raising OTF, and by calling we also give a nice picture for Villain to outplay us.

Unfortunately, this turn isn't the best card possible for our range, and considering that SB has much more bluffs than Values, part of SB's bluffs had completed OTT and it is okay to be checking behind for pot control.

OTR is a very easy call. I don't see any worst hands paying a raise OTR, for example KT, JT, KJ, and we are blocking most of Jacks Villain could display, TT, 66 and 22 that are only 3 combos, so I would simply call OTR, for many reasons, one of them is that we can have a lot of bluffs on our 3-bet range BB versus SB as well.
By raising OTR we also turn a very strong hand (Set of Jacks) into a bluff. I rather go pushing rivers like this with my missed flush draws of hearts and diamonds plus my missed gutshots.
But I am never shoving this river only with a missed gutshot, at 10 NLHE is expect too much.

The second reason is that at those lower limits, players will always have the nuts, and they will only pay such raises OTR when they have us beat. A 100% of times it is too much, but we can say that at least 95% of times, cash players are doing the same moves.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Greetings.

Very good observations. Thanks.:D

Regards;

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
3-betting JJ is of course completely fine and standard, when its blind vs. blind.

Flop
I dont love this very small C-bet. I know, its modern, but in the micros and on a texture like this, where so many broadways flopped some kind of straightdraw, I think, you need to bet larger for value and protection. When he check-raise though I am fine just calling, because it keeps his bluffs alive, and now its very easy to get the rest of the money in on the turn and river.

Turn
When he check to you, I really dont like checking back. There is a flushdraw on board now, and an A or Q will put out a 1-liner to a straight, which will either make you bad or completely kill action. To me this is a simple and mandatory bet for value, and my intention is to get the rest in on any clean river card.

River
You got a clean river card and you also got lucky, that he did your turn bet for you. As played I think, this is a 100% mandatory spot to raise and get it in, which you did. He can pay you with two pair or even just top pair, so this is still strictly a jam for value.

Results
For me this outcome is just a standard cooler spot, and while they are always a little annoying, when they happen, they tend to not matter in the long run. If he have the flopped set, and you nail your gutshot against him on the turn, he is also going broke to you, so in the long run this is just a wash.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well mate, there are several good possibiilties for this hand you played.
One of them you did, which was 3-bet preflop. Another one is to call preflop, considering BvB dynamic ranges: Villain could have folded a lot of bluffs preflop, to our 3-bet and we want to avoid it.

That being said, SB should not be raising you OTF, ever: SB never has the nuts for this situation, but a lot of bluffs. The point here is that SB already invested a significant ammount of chips and I don't see any reason to be flatting OTF to make the odds of my opponent better.
SB could only have any Back Door Flush, for example, with Clubs, Diamonds or Hearts and by calling it, SB can jam its draws OTT already.
SB could only have a Gutshot, that should not be raising OTF, and by calling we also give a nice picture for Villain to outplay us.

Unfortunately, this turn isn't the best card possible for our range, and considering that SB has much more bluffs than Values, part of SB's bluffs had completed OTT and it is okay to be checking behind for pot control.

OTR is a very easy call. I don't see any worst hands paying a raise OTR, for example KT, JT, KJ, and we are blocking most of Jacks Villain could display, TT, 66 and 22 that are only 3 combos, so I would simply call OTR, for many reasons, one of them is that we can have a lot of bluffs on our 3-bet range BB versus SB as well.
By raising OTR we also turn a very strong hand (Set of Jacks) into a bluff. I rather go pushing rivers like this with my missed flush draws of hearts and diamonds plus my missed gutshots.
But I am never shoving this river only with a missed gutshot, at 10 NLHE is expect too much.

The second reason is that at those lower limits, players will always have the nuts, and they will only pay such raises OTR when they have us beat. A 100% of times it is too much, but we can say that at least 95% of times, cash players are doing the same moves.

Regards;

Honestly that K impruve his bluffes to TP but not to the nuts, he has beatter bluffes to raise there than a GS as he did, he has 89s, KQ suited and off, by raising that GS he is very unvalance by much more bluffes than value.
Thanks for the analisis Carlos allwais very helpfull

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
3-betting JJ is of course completely fine and standard, when its blind vs. blind.

Flop
I dont love this very small C-bet. I know, its modern, but in the micros and on a texture like this, where so many broadways flopped some kind of straightdraw, I think, you need to bet larger for value and protection. When he check-raise though I am fine just calling, because it keeps his bluffs alive, and now its very easy to get the rest of the money in on the turn and river.

Turn
When he check to you, I really dont like checking back. There is a flushdraw on board now, and an A or Q will put out a 1-liner to a straight, which will either make you bad or completely kill action. To me this is a simple and mandatory bet for value, and my intention is to get the rest in on any clean river card.

River
You got a clean river card and you also got lucky, that he did your turn bet for you. As played I think, this is a 100% mandatory spot to raise and get it in, which you did. He can pay you with two pair or even just top pair, so this is still strictly a jam for value.

Results
For me this outcome is just a standard cooler spot, and while they are always a little annoying, when they happen, they tend to not matter in the long run. If he have the flopped set, and you nail your gutshot against him on the turn, he is also going broke to you, so in the long run this is just a wash.
Thanks totally agre that i should have bet T, the board opened new draws and could have impruve the equity off his draws, but iff i get to bet T taking him out off odd i will have to jam river no mater warh because he wasnt gueting implied odd on turn for sure

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Honestly that K impruve his bluffes to TP but not to the nuts, he has beatter bluffes to raise there than a GS as he did, he has 89s, KQ suited and off, by raising that GS he is very unvalance by much more bluffes than value.
Thanks for the analisis Carlos allwais very helpfull

Good observation, the King improves part of its value range, which woud be the Kx group (KQ, KJ, KT, and a few times AK).
As you said, when Villain raises that Gutshot OTF, he/she is very unbalanced, having many more bluffs than it should have it. This is why I advocate for re-raising OTF, 3-bettint flop, whatever, I think that it is better for us to put most money when we do have the nuts, sounds pretty obvious, but you got scared of Villain to fold part of its gutshots and trash, which is very reasonable, but not optimal.
No poker professional or regular will disagree that we should put all the chips in the middle when we do own the stone cold nuts, and we had it.
If happens that Villain folds its gutshot, no problem, there is already a fair chunk of dead chips in the pot.

Plus if we consider some "meta-game" approach, and we deep analyse the sizing chosen by Villain on the river, we get a pretty nice picture that Villain isn't bluffing or turning second best hands (hands lower than Set of Jacks), into non-sense bluffs. We don't see many cash players doing it.

We have no friends at the tables, figuratively speaking, we want to cut the heads of our opponents off without further ado, so, when we face ourselves in a situation where our opponents offers a very good price, in a very complicated board configuration, as it was the mentioned river, we should use our instincts and begin to wonder the reasons a Top Pair Top Kicker would do such a thing, as long as Hero 3-bets preflop, call raise OTF, which hands SB expects you to have, that could possibily pay that friendly sizing?

Regards;