Can you live by poker?

MIljanho

MIljanho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether playing poker can be the only source of money?

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hi there!

Poker has been my only source of income for a whole year. I was playing sit n'gos only, and I was making 20$+ a day playing 3.50$ SNGs. I was very disciplined, and making withdrawals very often. Since then, I did not progress very much and the game became tough. So I had to give it up. I did not have the motivation anymore, since it became a job not a passion anymore.

Now I have a day job, and poker is just a hobby, and I like it this way!

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm living from poker last 2 years, daily i'm spending playing 6-8hours, i'm playing like 5-6tournaments per day. Daily i'm making 50-90$. I'm really following my rules i made to myself and my bankroll management is very strictly. Poker is a good income if you understand the game and not be too greedy to think u can be a millioner in 1day. Just take your time learn the game and you will see how u can live from poker.

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had to do easy to make a little money, but not retirement savings, health/dental/vision insurance and the costs of little extras in life

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well many people do. But there is a very small percentage of people that successfully can. But sometimes it just takes that 1 tourney that you cash so huge in that with proper bankroll management and good skill that you can do very well with it from there forward. But the unfortunate truth is you can play perfectly but you have to hope people do not get that extreme luck over you. As luck sadly plays such a huge role. It's great news for players who aren't very good. But for good players the luck aspect is painful as I know how it feels to outplay people only for them to make poor moves and rewarded by hitting 2 outers etc. But myself I do not get discouraged as a good player statistically should be a winning player in the long term. Luck is part of the game and why so many players are attracted to the sport. Cuz any random Jamie Gold or Darvin Moon can become millionaires off a string of crazy luck. Sorry I kind of went on rant there. Just saying if you love the game, have good still and are intelligent and confident in your game. You can be a winning player and potentially make it your primary source of income depending on your bankroll. It's about playing right stakes for your bankroll and possibly working until just Poker is all you need to do. But yes people make a living off it. But I would assume over 99% who try, fail.

C

clyde86

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
would LOVE to lol...seems theres a big difference when you're playin for survival bankrol...strategy is more to place instead of win...finding more of a system that's not as flashy but lettin mistakes consistently make some profit. Overall seems more rules an struture rather than guts an glory...till ya win a big one anyway

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The answer is simple. If you are good enough you could not only make a living but could be a millionaire. Of course if you are not good or lucky enough you could lose your last dollars or even your house. Both of stories are true. The question you should really make is, whats the percentage of people that are making a living out of poker. My wild guess is a 30% makes a profit but definately not enough to live just from poker and like a 15% with good skills and a lot of help from luck could make a living. The thing is I know more people losing their houses to poker compared to people buying houses from poker.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting discussion. Short answer is yes - you can see people became millionaires from poker. Obviously they are very low percent of all people playing. I am sure that there are people who earn enough for living from poker but it is much more difficult to calculate how many are they. Maybe easiest solution would be to start building bank from freerolls or make small deposit and start at low stakes and in one year you can see if you are ahead from the start and with how much and decide if to continue or not. I personally prefer poker to be a hobby and i have normal job for living but i would be happy if i manage to improve my game so much that finally it contributes to my income at later stage. Will see. :)

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just a commercial. The truth about so called poker pros is that they all are funded, do not play with their own money. Dont get me wrong they Are the best players in the world. I see them as horse betting and poker pros are the horses. Rich people bet on them -staking or poker rooms do it for commercial and for potential profit. Pros go to tournament and if win something get piece of it, the bigger piece is for the one who bought him the buyin. And when the horses do fall and cant get money no one wants to bet for them the open online schools of poker or publish books.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, the game can become a source of income, if you are good at playing and you have a lot of free time and you have a good bankroll for playing good bets and for expensive tournaments where you can win perfectly!

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just a commercial. The truth about so called poker pros is that they all are funded, do not play with their own money. Dont get me wrong they Are the best players in the world. I see them as horse betting and poker pros are the horses. Rich people bet on them -staking or poker rooms do it for commercial and for potential profit. Pros go to tournament and if win something get piece of it, the bigger piece is for the one who bought him the buyin. And when the horses do fall and cant get money no one wants to bet for them the open online schools of poker or publish books.

Well they earn money from commercials, writing books and so on but these people went to the top due to their skills and after that were seen by other (rich) people. I don't think that Daniel Negreanu needs someone to pay his buyin for wsop for example.

G

Globster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker has always been a hobby for me. I have a full time paid job, that I love very much doing, but as you said - if you start doing poker as a profession it will become like any other regular job.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
after a year of playing poker intensely every day and try out at tournaments, sit & go and cash tables ... and not having any income, I understood that to live poker you need more than to know the rules of the game. So I started to study and prepare myself better ... I began to study and analyze the other aspects that surround this game ... like reading the rivals, playing at the appropriate level according to my knowledge and being very strict and disciplined with the hours of play ... and above all have a healthy bankroll. From my point of view these aspects are the ones that can help you to make a profit and live poker ...!

S

sid kendell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure you can if you got the passion,time and money to start and get on the positive side of variance.Some of the online winners lose thousands of dollars before they become winners.I could not afford to do that .

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be easier outside the U.S. Still, you could have a negative pay check sometimes.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is certainly possible. You can generate a monthly income with tournaments and sit and there is always the possibility that you win that big prize in a tournament that decides your life for a long time

Comdemn

Comdemn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether playing poker can be the only source of money?

I think that every player asked such a question) The more I play the more I understand that this is absolutely real and achievable) If a person decided to earn a game in poker, then in my opinion it is very important that he treat the game as seriously as other people relate to their work !! The main thing is not to be lazy and to show persistence and patience and then everything will turn out!

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes of course. And I could also live from money made off of investments if someone gave me a million bucks to use. Imo you need very deep pockets to make a living from tournament poker or get real lucky. Cash games I guess it depends if you can find somewhere with a lot of bad players with lots of money

oleg plugaru

oleg plugaru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can earn money by playing poker. But for this you have to play a lot, be very disciplined ... Improve your game's standing ... And it will be very little different from the usual work..

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to work in poker - it's the hardest job in the world ..And then you will have an income ...

:five:

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
to make a living out of poker you need two things: You must Love the game so it will never become stressing like any other Job remember if you're doing what you love you will never have to work.
and two you must study the game and really have discipline with your bankroll and playing hours ...if you want to be professional you should be playing at 6 hours per day ...

hope this helps! Good Luck

A

asalco94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if, if you have a good amount of money to invest in the game of poker, I think if you can live on that, but otherwise, you should have a profession or work that supports you.

C

christosa197

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm so bad luck though!
not possible!

:mad:

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope I suck at bankroll managment

C

Cashcards

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, probably you can make money only on poker, but for this you must undestand very well all aspects of the game(you must be very confident player ) to make real big money, also you sholdnt forget that a considerable percentage of money must stay your bankroll. in words sounds easier

Organize a Home Poker Game