WARNING: I've never been so ashamed...

Black_Fox

Black_Fox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really haven't. I've never been so ashamed at the Poker tables.

I've had a good weekend, won a couple of tournaments and was up a fair fair wad of cash. I'd started with $10 on Saturday, and as of Monday morning I was up to $254. I was on a high.

Last night, I went out to Celebrate the passing of my driving test and got a little, no...a LOT drunk.

Upon returning home, I decided to log on to poker stars and enter a tournament. It was a $3 SNG.

I'd got down to the last 11 (payed to 7th), and surprisingly whilst being rather merry was playing some good poker. Then disaster struck.

I was in the SB (I remember it clearly) and the tabled folded around to the Dealer Button who raised all in (Clearly stealing). I called him with my AT to see his 86os.

Flop was 8-3-3

Turn Q

River K

And with that, I absolutely blew my lid. Now usually, I just brush these things off and play on. But being drunk, I flipped...and I went on the worst streak I've ever been on and it was purely down to drunken frustration. I lost around $150 in a cash game, then lost another $34 in an heads up SNG then donked another $16 away in a 9 man SNG. I've never been so distraught with myself. I feel like a piece of shit. I know better, I let myself get so f'ckin drunk and I played like a friggin retard. What makes it so devastating is that I've been playing really good Poker of late. I won $400 in a live tournament on Monday night (Some relief at least). And I was trying to build my bankroll so that I could eventually enter either the $1050 Sunday Million again or the $2600 WCOOP in September. I was doing well with the $250 too. Now, I'm down to $2 and I'm devastated, I've only got myself to blame. I'll have to start all over again now. I'm going to keep this thread updated and build my bankroll all over again in a bid to enter the WCOOP in September.

Cheers guys, please take this as a warning if any of you are as dumb as me :(

BF

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd started with $10 on Saturday, and as of Monday morning I was up to $254."

You could not have done this if you weren't playing beyond your bankroll. Drunk or not, there were some bad habits in place before then that made this inevitable.

Black_Fox

Black_Fox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You could not have done this if you weren't playing beyond your bankroll. Drunk or not, there were some bad habits in place before then that made this inevitable.
Do you mean I couldn't have won the money or do you mean I was playing too high once I'd won it - I'd wholeheartedly agree with the latter, but In winning it - I was playing well within my grasp. I'm aiming to rectify my overall game starting today, so all help we be much appreciated.

My starting bankroll as of right now is $12. I'll add it to my sig.

BF

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know its a experience. I had a similar experience playing on fill tilt where I built up my BR from $4 to $92 (in 10 days) and then proceeded to loose $85 dollars playing HU in 20 minutes. Sure, I wasn't drunk but I was feeling too cocky and obviously playing too high coupled with sime bad luck.

One suggestion I have for you is not to play when you're drunk. Its never good for you.

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had a good weekend, won a couple of tournaments and was up a fair fair wad of cash. I'd started with $10 on Saturday, and as of Monday morning I was up to $254. I was on a high.

OP said he won a couple of tournaments with $10.00 roll. Don't see why anyone would think he was playing beyond his bankroll. For playing tournaments, he was already playing in the basement. So I say good job there, and for the rest of his post, poker is like life. Live and learn.

Black_Fox

Black_Fox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Quads, I totally agree.

I played a $4, 180 man SNG and came second for $144. Then I played a few $16 9 player SNG and won one, came 2nd on the other.

BF

SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know how you feel, just came home from placing 3rd in a local weekly freeroll live tournament here, came online, went on partypoker (I'm in Australia), had about $25 bankroll, played a table for $5, flopped a straight, 2 spades on board, bet big trying to get rid of any flush drawers, 4th street brought a heart, bet all in and he called on a draw, and he didn't even have any good spades, only 7s-8s and hit his flush! So I took my entire bankroll and just lost it all b/c I was steamed. I did have some beers at the club, did they affect my judgment? No idea, but might have.

Black_Fox

Black_Fox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is anyone else that has done something similar to this. An act of sheer outrageous stupidity then feel free to join me in my mission to get the bankrolls back through straightup solid play, anyone want to join my quest?

BF

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
86 beating AT, it isnt exactly a bad beat, all he needed to do was pair one of his cards to send you crashing out. Sure, it was a bit lucky. But if you cant deal with things like this dont play poker.

Black_Fox

Black_Fox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, Ste - however, the fact that I was drunk had more to do with it. Did you read my opening post fully?

Thanks,

BF

P

popwizard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been there done that got the t-shirt! I've done this so many times. Just putin' money into the poker room and not settin' any goals for myself. i find im jumpin' all over doin' ring games, sng's tourneys. I like the ring games cause u never know when that BB Jackpot will go,. I won $107 for playin' at the same limit when it was won, i thought somethin' was wrong with my account check'd my account after i left the table extra 107 im like what.. lol go to trans history woot. jackpot award. cool. well me sittin' there drinkin' some beer's listenin' to music I play'd 3 22 six seater's and came bout 3rd in all 3 lol top 2 get paid...always 3rd 3rd ughh!

yeah blackfox i do it all the time loll I would like to save some bankroll for Aruba this year. or win my way in.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last night, I went out to Celebrate the passing of my driving test and got a little, no...a LOT drunk.
I hope your "driving test" was either the renewal one, one for trucks, or you started driving later in life. Otherwise, a first driving test could be an indication of your age and you described a few things that only adults should be doing. (just an observation)

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope your "driving test" was either the renewal one, one for trucks, or you started driving later in life. Otherwise, a first driving test could be an indication of your age and you described a few things that only adults should be doing. (just an observation)

I thought the same on this one.

We all have these swings. Sounds like you know what you did, so GL in the future.

BTW, been there, done that, got a... cap. I went on a downswing playing above my BR recently. I didn't get a shirt, but I did have enough points to get a PS cap :)

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

OP said he won a couple of tournaments with $10.00 roll. Don't see why anyone would think he was playing beyond his bankroll. For playing tournaments, he was already playing in the basement. So I say good job there, and for the rest of his post, poker is like life. Live and learn.

If he was playing MTTs with a $10 starting roll, he was playing beyond his bankroll.

Drunk or not, the only way to make that kind of money in a weekend is to put yourself way past your bankroll's limitations, and when you do that you will eventually bust.

I want the OP to do well in the future, too. But the only way to do that is to recognize real problems.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

^^^^^^this^^^^

was what i was thinking, also, just don't play while your drinking obviously you cant stop yourself, so just dont go to the computer, or play freerolls drunk, there fun lol

G

greener_lax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

ya. because most 17, 18, and 19 year olds don't drink...:D

21, what a joke. glad to be an 18 year old canadian.

bluesboy47

bluesboy47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While alcohol was definitely a contributing factor, most likely ego is more the blame. Ego is why we go on tilt when we lose to a bad beat. Ego is why call when everything tells that us that we are beat. Ego keeps us from walking a way from hands no matter how good they are when we need to. Speaking from experience.

Its not the lessons that are learned that are important it what we do with those lessons.

Gl

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya. because most 17, 18, and 19 year olds don't drink...:D

21, what a joke. glad to be an 18 year old canadian.

In the US you are able to receive your driver's license at age 16.
I have been in Italy for the past week or so, and I have seen many 12 year olds drinking and smoking cigarettes on the side of the street. It is astonishing if you ask me.

I

idaho3fan

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Quads, I totally agree.

I played a $4, 180 man SNG and came second for $144. Then I played a few $16 9 player SNG and won one, came 2nd on the other.

BF

I believe this is where the playing above your bankroll is coming from,

with a $10 starting BR, you risked $4,

40% or your BR,

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Forget about bankroll management with a $10 bankroll. What game can you realistically play here without risking less than 10% of your bankroll? He would have to keep playing freerolls first.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe this is where the playing above your bankroll is coming from,

with a $10 starting BR, you risked $4,

40% or your BR,

You have to also realize some people have a minimum starting point. Luckily I haven't had to redeposit on PS in a while, but even when I deposit $25, the $3 are the lowest SNG's I really want to play. It's above my BR, but the $1 is a MTT, so technically a $1 isn't much different in BR than a $3. Using 30xBI(3)=90 or 100xBI(1)=100, so they're both above my $25 deposit. Some are content with starting with freerolls, but I would guess a lot of people would rather spend a little more and save a little time to start a little higher. With a $10 deposit the OP would have to play a $.10 MTT or $.35 STT to be within their proper BR.

I definitely agree that following a BRM plan is great, but everyone's "starting" point may be different. If the OP budgets $10/wk for poker and wants to play 2-$5 tournies to try to build BR and loses and waits until next week for their next budgeted deposit, it sounds like they have a plan. Maybe they can't afford a $120/$400 all @ once to be within "proper" BRM guidelines. BUT, maybe the will ONLY play $4 until they hit the next level in the correct BRM... does this make sense?

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management. Bankroll management. Bankroll management....

Keep saying it over and over in your head. I use to be just like you, and I went broke every time I won something, most recently on Full Tilt. There is a lot of good information about BRM in these forums, look some up and follow the guidelines, you might even have more fun while playing

daxter70

daxter70

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to also realize some people have a minimum starting point. Luckily I haven't had to redeposit on PS in a while, but even when I deposit $25, the $3 are the lowest SNG's I really want to play. It's above my BR, but the $1 is a MTT, so technically a $1 isn't much different in BR than a $3. Using 30xBI(3)=90 or 100xBI(1)=100, so they're both above my $25 deposit. Some are content with starting with freerolls, but I would guess a lot of people would rather spend a little more and save a little time to start a little higher. With a $10 deposit the OP would have to play a $.10 MTT or $.35 STT to be within their proper BR.

I definitely agree that following a BRM plan is great, but everyone's "starting" point may be different. If the OP budgets $10/wk for poker and wants to play 2-$5 tournies to try to build BR and loses and waits until next week for their next budgeted deposit, it sounds like they have a plan. Maybe they can't afford a $120/$400 all @ once to be within "proper" BRM guidelines. BUT, maybe the will ONLY play $4 until they hit the next level in the correct BRM... does this make sense?

makes great sense..

ive take 4.75 from an 11th FR win on bodog and got it up to 600+, when i started, was i supposed to play the 10 cent donkfests, the quarter SNGoes, it was nothing out of my pocket, played some omaha cash and waited patiently, and bamm, i would roll to 30...sit at a 10buyin table...bamm, up to 60..play a 5$ sngo, etc..

sometimes the BR management isnt so sound when u dont have much of a BR, and it was FR winnings from jump street:cool:

dweezel

dweezel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You lost be after that dude.

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another question for the OP....WHY IN THE HELL ARE YOU DRIVING DRUNK???