play poker skill or luck?

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my view poker has 90% of our training and discipline another 10% is on our luck on the day.
because if we play only by luck we will win from one to three hands and look at it more if you have patience and constant training you will go far so I think you better get used to it because poker is skill and not a game of luck ....
so let's take our skill and enter the cyclones in the americas cardroom there are some cyclones going 0.10 cents to increase until reaching the 8,000,000 tournament

Last edited:
S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think on any one day luck is much more than 10%. But it reduces to 0 over the long term, so just keep playing and it's all skill!

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"60 percent have skill, knowledge and stress tolerance and 40% luck" said a Professional Poker Player.

M

Mongoloider

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Any game involves luck, but mostly it’s skill that defines the outcome.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
both combine is best. if you are good skillfully plus lucky in life then it can be easy. but if you are good skillfully and unlucky then it might not work out. its best if you are lucky and suck at it skillfully.

nba2009

nba2009

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Skill and a lot of study are the weapons to succeed in poker luck influences 15% if at all careful and no less than there

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will have upswings when your luck is good and downswings when your luck is good. The long term net difference between the two depends on your skill.

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most likely 20% skill 80% luck, otherwise often even good hands will lose, for example, the same AA KK moves them or having AK lose to another AQ

U

Ultfrozen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whatever someone says and the skill is very important, the more you are skilful the more often you will reach the final table, but still without a couple of successful flips you will not be able to win the tournament)

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It takes luck to win all-in. It takes skill to win everything else.

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course poker played properly takes a great amount of skill but also a little bit of luck goes a long way

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The luck factor in poker vs skill

Good morning everyone, poker is a game of skill where the luck factor is important.
I believe that the technical and mathematical knowledge of the game represents 80% and luck 20%.
I don't consider myself lucky in poker, I lose a lot of All ins, when I have better hands, I already watch a lot of videos talking about variance in poker, but even today I can't get used to it, of course I have to work on this psychological side of the game , to evolve, I recognize that it is very difficult.

martinlgs

martinlgs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
2/3 skill
1/3 luck

Prepare to be prepared

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your talking about online poker,then i have to say luck is about even with the skill level.So much luck involved with online poker.Now im speaking of small and micro stakes and free rolls

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well said. But still I think luck has a much higher percentage. But this does not negate the fact that you need to learn and gain experience in the game in order to increase the chances of winning in any poker hand. And also you forgot to mention psychology, the knowledge of which also increases the possibility of dominance over the opponent.
Good luck to all.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just my opinion, but it seems to be around 85-90% luck and maybe 10-15% skill.

HOWEVER, if you include "discipline" I've noticed that NOT playing a LOT of hands against any kind of aggression is a big plus in tournaments. Is "doing nothing" a skill? Problem is sooner or later you get that big monster that you just have to play "big" and then luck kicks in and you're out of the tournament.

Last edited:
K

kojuma

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As someone posted above, I think that poker would just like chess (and maybe even more "boring" to play).

aslanvanacha

aslanvanacha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FIRSTLY work luck then must work skill)):)

J

Jujuloo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely 20% skill 80% luck, otherwise often even good hands will lose, for example, the same AA KK moves them or having AK lose to another AQ

It does seem that way but I find being in a good mood and accepting the fact that the outcome could go both ways could make you a bit luckier and more fun to play! Luck is when you expand your chances and opportunities without knowing your even doing it but skill can sometimes narrow it down to past experience which in turn can slim your chances of luck! Luck is definitely in the driving seat but takes a lot of skill to know when it’s happening and how to ride with it ;)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I believe that poker in general is a game where skillful and experienced players have a chance to succeed. Luck is important, but in the long run, success is shaped by our skills and our experience.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

As I said earlier in other comments, skill beats luck by 60% versus 40%. You can't always play with luck. Experience in the game, but knowledge helps to achieve long-term goals!

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It pays to win, you cannot not have the 2 things according to my opinion
If you have luck without skill you will not help her much to win new hands
and if you have skill without luck you will not go far either
The idea is to get lucky with certain hands and get the most out of them with skill.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The old poker maxim. If you win, the loser will say you were lucky, regardless of whether it's true or false. So it depends on the point of view. Lucky everyone wants to be, but it's not for everyone.
Skill is required regardless of whether you are lucky or not.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The skill is what gives you the knowledge to put yourself in a position to get the luck