Performance enhancing drugs.

G

geoff4376

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it's a bit controversial, but it happens, so we should acknowledge/discuss it.

Pot slows me down, let's me think through the hands a bit more. I'd say that it enhances my game.

Adderall makes me feel like a poker god, but I end up getting ****y and bluffing too much.

I'm thinking of trying modafinil. I've heard good things. Anyone have any experience?

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The use of such drugs is harmful to health. This can have bad consequences. I recommend to do sports. This is more useful.

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've play with pot and in certain situations it seemed to help but to if I'm being honest with myself I really don't think there was much if any edge. I felt better which might be nice but it really didn't put me into a deeper state of thinking about situations.

P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If poker wants to be identified as a sport then possibly those types of substances shouldn’t be allowed, but where would the enforcement come from??

D

don1980

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think performance enhancing drugs will help in poker.

P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, my son is a professional player, I watch how hard he works and nothing should give brine any kind of an advantage

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I’ve never hear weed called a performance enhancing drug lol!

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alcohol doesn't work that's as far as my research has gone at present. :beerglass

fingers182005

fingers182005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pot isnt a drug, but stay away from all other mind altering substances they cause the body and brain much harm some even stop you from breathing or speed your heart up too much. I do not suggest using mind altering substances.. said from a true recovering addict!
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing winning poker for over 30 years. Don't get me wrong I don't win every time I sit down but every time I sit down I'm high as a kite. It's the best way to go.

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot and Adderall should not be used for poker. If anything you need something that will really relax you. I recommend some soft music and a cup of warm tea.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Smack + Crack = Stack

or No

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Staying in good physical shape should also keep the mind on point. Good mental outlook drug free can be the best you can do with poker. Pro players can log a few days with 12 to 14 hours a day. Taking an enhancement might not be the long term solution.

Taking care of yourself with sleep, nutrition and exercise is more logical choice. Sure there are more suitable activities for pot and enhancement drugs.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being in good physical condition and playing when you are fresh is much better than taking any drugs which will have short term effect anyway and will negatively impact your health in future.

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I do, Geoff4376 I have had modafinil once and it is about the same as no doze; in other words crap that makes you jittery and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. This may not be for everyone but it is useful to me. I have an Rx for xanax and when I want to be relaxed and make good decisions, I take one 20 minutes before the game and it works well for me.

Last edited:
S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think almost everybody plays better whith a "clear" head. That beeing said, people react differnt to differnt kind of drugs/alcohol. I have a few friends that play decent poker on weed. For me that is not the case. I turn in to a weak tight nit as I put everybody on the nuts, no mater how the hands play out. As you can imagine this do not turn out to well.

When it comes to alcohol I usually play kinda decent even if I am very drunk.

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This, as most decisions, is a highly personal/individual choice in that what enhances one person's decision making may diminish anothers.
Through trial and error, we all figure out what works best for ourselves.
Personally, a clear head in a relaxed environment works for me.

kasra32

kasra32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know if sports poker is considered? I wish there was a lot in the Olympics too

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've play with pot and in certain situations it seemed to help but to if I'm being honest with myself I really don't think there was much if any edge. I felt better which might be nice but it really didn't put me into a deeper state of thinking about situations.
All I could see from smoking pot before a poker game is a lot "what's trump" "what are we playing" type questions :p