How often does your "ALL-IN" fail pre-flop and why?

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
For me, this is a table read first. This depends on my relative stack size, table image and how far from the bubble we are. If I am the first to act with a mediocre stack, even on a pure bluff pre-flop, I am usually only concerned with two or three clever types and I usually lose to a higher draw (anything vs my bluff or my AQ/AK/AJ doesn't hit or a higher pair) but rarely to trips.

When my stack is low I go all in with almost anything as do some of the other low stacks because it's a crap shoot and may the luckiest hand hold up. When I'm going all in with 'the royal hands' as in 888 either I am sure of my table image and will take on the entire table or I will only risk it when I am in position. Anything else will not be all-in. For those important games there are no "do-overs" and I would rather sleep soundly on making a good percentage call rather than cussing myself out for an act of stupidity.;)

Nelly404

Nelly404

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it occures when I don't keep my rule not to play pre-flop all-in with lower cards than AA or KK. JJ or QQ can win sometimes but AK, AJ or AQ fails very frequently. :)

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alyn preflop early in the tournament I can only go to the QC and AA.

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Going all in is usually a lottery; even if you have AA or KK you may very well lose against a shity hand but this is one of the awesome part of poker named: taking risks.;)

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant tell you how many players Ive seen completly blow up because they lose a preflop all in with a good hand. What they fail to see is even if you are favored, it will only hold up so many times.

Lets say you are in an MTT and you get it all in preflop a few times. Even assuming you are a heavy favorite every time you get it all in at 66% to win odds are would will get eliminated if you can happen to pull it off more than twice.

Im sorry but I just don't see shoving all in preflop as a good play. I trust my post flop play and I'd like to wait for a better chance than a race...

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am finding all ins preflop can definitely be unkind and a major luck factor is involved. I know I may be roasted but I’d rather play smaller pots and control my own fate with calculated risks knowing where I am in a hand, instead of all in preflop. Seems that many players have no problem flipping with any 2. I have called my fair share of all ins with medium pairs and AQ,AK to realize they are very beatable. I have had many hands all in let me down in big all ins where I regret calling the shove preflop. Even if I’m a favorite it’s not really reliable because much of the time it’s only a favorite by a small margin.Finding the difficult fold and seeing a flop is much safer. Obviously when you have a small stack you have no choice but call and commit to the hand.

Gyry

Gyry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a bad idea to go all-in pre-flop, it's like a lottery, basically it's played on hyper tournaments like freerolls. in cash games this is only done if they want to remove others players and play one-on-one with someone whose stack is already small and forces allin to go, and of course if the stack size allows it. I've often seen how a small pair moves AA or KK. my own experience:D

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is amazing how many people go all in preflop, especially in freerolls and low tournaments. It’s very annoying, I try to avoid most pots for the first few rounds if I can.

The other day it was the second hand. One player went all in (he had KK), I reraised all in with AA and the button calls both our all in with 62o. Of course the 62 made a straight and busted us both. This I cannot nor will ever understand. I can half see going all in first and hope to scoop blinds but to call 2 all ins with that ......

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm trying to avoid all ins pre flop and work on my post flop game. I know I will get beat by some weak hands that come along to see the flop. But at least I will have a choice to fold if I feel they out flopped me.

jhosept6

jhosept6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, this is a table read first. This depends on my relative stack size, table image and how far from the bubble we are. If I am the first to act with a mediocre stack, even on a pure bluff pre-flop, I am usually only concerned with two or three clever types and I usually lose to a higher draw (anything vs my bluff or my AQ/AK/AJ doesn't hit or a higher pair) but rarely to trips.

When my stack is low I go all in with almost anything as do some of the other low stacks because it's a crap shoot and may the luckiest hand hold up. When I'm going all in with 'the royal hands' as in 888 either I am sure of my table image and will take on the entire table or I will only risk it when I am in position. Anything else will not be all-in. For those important games there are no "do-overs" and I would rather sleep soundly on making a good percentage call rather than cussing myself out for an act of stupidity.;)

throwing in with position does not make sense as you say you go with everything in bubble the best depending on the blinds with less than 10 blinds with any hand I'm throwing everything keep in mind that your goal is to win the tournament not survive to collect the minimum

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Responses appreciated.
I just finished up a "double or nothing" game where betting gets the respect it deserves. Very few "all-in's" pre-flop but because the stacks are so small and the betting rounds so fast you cannot wait for good cards as you would in a normal game. Intimidation does not work so well in these games.

Regarding the free rolls and low limit games, I have seen major bets made with marginal hands in many of the larger stakes games because every edge counts. When you see Jack high or Ten high win (or similar) during these games you know you won't last long waiting for good cards. It's one thing when a few yo-yo's shove all in too frequently and it's another when you have everyone at the table taking their shot.

Like a massive traffic collision occurring in front of you (at least 4 all-in's) if you make the correct read and assuming everyone is holding at least a high pair..then they are holding each other's outs. Making a small set monster or hitting suited connectors becomes far more probable...(work it out with suitable software)...and you aim straight for the middle of that collision because once everyone impacts you should (it's not a guarantee) pass through unscathed.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I sometimes lose when I'm all-in, but most of all I lose all-in when I play several players with me and I have less chance that my card will play fine when I play with one player all-in then I have more chances that I will win, when less players participate with me in the hand, then I have an excellent all-in game!

A

Andrey Zubkov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play quietly, so my All inn (AA, Ak) fails only because of the quirks of probability theory

Jayplay916

Jayplay916

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I really like this post i have those tendacies to go allin and lose to just bad timing i think. Nice post

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like going all in but I do it with monster hands AA KK QQ when I am on a weak position and just counter attack HJ or Button steal and I get them always crushed when I am in Early positions however when I am shoving from big blinds even with A-K or AQ suited I easily double up.

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually 50/50 for me and that's doing good as of late lol

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

Hello there.A lot of times my preflop all in failed so i stopped that.It is better to make 3blinds raise and then you may give the proper action depending the flop .

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I busted in three MTT freerolls on pokerstars today, all with KK. I lost to 26o, 96s and A5o. Neither hand should have called my all in. Very frustrating playing this silly freerolls but also easy to cash when the luck gods aren’t against you. I think most people playing these just try to double right away and can then usually float into the money being blinded away.

You can’t play real poker at these freerolls.

B

Barbarik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do that as a last resort. Only when I'm already freaking out. It's wrong and I understand it, I don't do it now.

Well I busted in three MTT freerolls on PokerStars today, all with KK. I lost to 26o, 96s and A5o. Neither hand should have called my all in. Very frustrating playing this silly freerolls but also easy to cash when the luck gods aren’t against you. I think most people playing these just try to double right away and can then usually float into the money being blinded away.

You can’t play real poker at these freerolls.
Yes, they are playing for fun and not for money.

I play quietly, so my All inn (AA, Ak) fails only because of the quirks of probability theory
And on a pair of 9 would go all in?

Going all in is usually a lottery; even if you have AA or KK you may very well lose against a shity hand but this is one of the awesome part of poker named: taking risks.;)
Poker itself is risky.:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My pre-flop "all-in" decisions are unsuccessful because I catch a badbeat or hit a monster that stays.

savaxz

savaxz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that all the time! it was just bad luck! I stopped going to All in!

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when shortstacked, <8bb it's the best you can do.
all other situation can only be justified by relative stack sizes and table reads.

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very often .. Just do not play with cards like AK-AQ or A-J! Today I played with QQ and JJ cards and also failed. I'm not lucky at all in poker!