fish V/s good skilled player!

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is No Denying That Luck Plays a important role in poker but i have seen many new players say to me that there isnt really a big difference between a less skilled player and more skilled player.
The only thing i tell em is that when a fish gets lucky they have a good session and when a skilled player gets lucky they Have a Massive Session!

rossi007

rossi007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something I have learnt from years of poker play there are no Fishs there are Gamblers and good players

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because a player who has skill knows how to use luck instead with a so-called fish is just lucky with random cards and they are sessions that last a short time:eek::angel:

Bodomovac

Bodomovac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couple days ago I played online poker on my home country poker provider ( Supersport poker, really bad poker App, but I just started playing online poker again) and I played on six max. NL Holdem full table, where two players were playing together (they were obviously cheating) sitting one next to the other.

One would raise, other one would re-raise, then the initial raiser would go all in, and re-raiser would fold. That type of game would cause others who called the first re-raise to fold hands.

And I told my brother, who was in the same room where I was playing on my computer that I will catch them, and will take their money.

Couple of hands later I got pocket kings, and they did the same thing. I was playing on tables 0,75 - 1,50 kunas. (Kuna is money that we use in Croatia).

First player raised 4,5kn, second raised to 9 kunas. I knew that the player who raised would re-raise all in so I just called 9 kunas, and something like that happened. First player went 40 kunas all in, second player shoved around 150 kunas all in, and I called. I had around 100 kunas.

As I said I had KK, first player had 5 9 off, and second player had A 4 off. Luckily no ace on the board, my kings helded, and I won close to 250 kunas in one hand.

Moral of the story is... if you play against "fishes", you have to be patient. In the end, you will come on top against those players.

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course a fish would say these types of things lol there is a huge difference between less skilled /highly skilled players

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because a player who has skill knows how to use luck instead with a so-called fish is just lucky with random cards and they are sessions that last a short time:eek::angel:

I play alot of random cards and wonder if people type in fish in notes when they see it. How would you play against someone like that? Knowing that this time I might have a really strong starting hand and your just making it easy for me to get good value .

Just be patient and let me steal a lot of blinds and dead money ?

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To beat it you play good post flop v me. Since I miss alot and u be able to tell if I have good or bad. Don't do anything stupid preflop. I think that how you beat me and players a like.

I don't make sense of forums

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm somewhere in between. Sometimes I play with skill and other times I try for luck. To be honest I feel good no matter what type of way I win. A win is a win.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Friend in poker Luck is 90% primordial and 10% skill, no matter how skillful you are, no luck you do not go far in a tournament.

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is a huge difference between skilled players and recreational players.
This is proven through the statistics. You may notice that in major EPT tournaments, skillful players are always reaching the final straight while there are few recreational ones.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
i have seen many new players say to me that there isnt really a big difference between a less skilled player and more skilled player.

Yeah, it's called Unconscious Incompetence.

Clowntown

Clowntown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of the skill in poker is actually knowing when to fold your hand. Fish tend to fold way less often than you should and this is tendancy is very noticeable with really fishy/sticky players. They always call draws where their pot odds are very unfavorable(calling a pot-sized bet with a gutshot for example) and they have a really hard time folding when they get any piece of the flop at all.

Good players aren't going to take huge risks on bingo-boy draws like gutshots unless they're doing it as a bluff and think there's a good chance their opponent will fold.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even the weakest player with the weakest cards has a chance to win. And this cannot be foreseen.

godblessiraq

godblessiraq

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is people like those whom you speak of, that I prefer to play against. May you provide me with their screen names please?

Bodomovac

Bodomovac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of the skill in poker is actually knowing when to fold your hand. Fish tend to fold way less often than you should and this is tendancy is very noticeable with really fishy/sticky players. They always call draws where their pot odds are very unfavorable(calling a pot-sized bet with a gutshot for example) and they have a really hard time folding when they get any piece of the flop at all.

Good players aren't going to take huge risks on bingo-boy draws like gutshots unless they're doing it as a bluff and think there's a good chance their opponent will fold.

Great point sir. I am still learning when to fold my hands. When I played before, sometimes I would call, even tho my gut feeling (or my brain) told me to fold.

I would say stuff like "if he has set, or straight or any other read I had on him" then f- it. And usually they would have it.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think the key is patience, the other player could fish all the time, but...the luck isnt forever

G

Gr34tWh1t3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well , I have to admit that I am a fish and its true there are pros ( good players) and fish/gamblers as me ,about 8 to 10 years ago I used to make FT's and win loats of tournos from 5$ to 275 $ I won that many tournaments in that buy in range .
This days I cant beat anything above 50 cents so I declare myself a fish this day
to our jubject yeas there are fish I give myself as example.

O

orkakiller

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
fish vs shark

everyone has a chance to win the tournament, :jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

S

Slip_Me_Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think everyone has a chance to win which is why so many people play poker. The actual difference between a good player and a weak player is how many times they will finish ahead over a certain period of time. Any weak player can bink a tournament or have a really good session every now and then but a good player will be winning consistently over the same period. A weak player will not be able to profit over a long period of time. They also let downswings and emotion get the best of them while good player do not.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, it's called Unconscious Incompetence.

YES! Did you get this from The mental game of poker? Jared Tendler talks a lot about Unconscious Incompetence in his book. You are so right, players doing something wrong, and not even knowing that they are.

This is so true! A good fold in a tough spot shows MUCH more skill than betting your hand correctly or calling someone down. A lot of chips are "Won" folding. Especially over the long term. the money you saved by folding is money earned.

I think everyone has a chance to win which is why so many people play poker. The actual difference between a good player and a weak player is how many times they will finish ahead over a certain period of time. Any weak player can bink a tournament or have a really good session every now and then but a good player will be winning consistently over the same period. A weak player will not be able to profit over a long period of time. They also let downswings and emotion get the best of them while good player do not.

This is the best comment so far. I play pool as well, and a lot of pool players switched over to poker for this reason. Pro's can't make money in pool because people know they can't beat em. the game died when (hustling) was exposed in movies like Color of Money, The Hustler, and pool hall junkies. In poker though, people line up to have their shot at Millions. Every so often one will get their Ex. Chris Moneymaker but will be broke in a few years because they were never skilled just got lucky. It boils down too the difference between a skilled player and a less skilled player is MASSIVE!!! Variance, makes this MASSIVE difference look a lot smaller than it really is. However, If you were to follow these two players that both win a large sum of money (skilled and less skilled) over some years, you would see the difference in the full effect that it really is.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fish can have a lot of happiness in one session. But there is a saying "Fish has taken, the fish will give back":D

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Temporary luck is experienced and inexperienced player.Skill and calculation options gives more interest on winning...

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play good and get lucky when you need it most ! The better players win more in the long run but I see superfish have big wins all the time.