Best Locations in World to Live for Pro Poker

S

sundizzel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the pursuit of making a living from poker, what are some of the top locations in the world to live? One of my favorite streamers, Fintan Hand (a.k.a., easywithaces) is an Irish native but lived for several years in Malta while he built his bankroll--doesn't sound like too shabby of a deal! Of course, different people in different situations will have different considerations, but I'd like to hear from everyone to get their take. Specific countries, states, or cities would be great.

From the grinders I have heard discuss this topic, they typically cite the primary concerns as: a) availability of poker (live and/or online, as well as WHICH online sites are allowed in that country/state), b) the cost of living in that country/state (typically they prefer low cost of living unless they're crushers), and c) internet availability and consistency (obviously applying to online poker). What are your thoughts towards one of, or all, these points?

I imagine a lot of people will say something like Las Vegas, Macao, London, and maybe California for high-stakes live players. I imagine for online, on the other hand, wherever has good enough internet, access to the most online poker sites (primarily pokerstars and partypoker, as they are touted as the top sites right now for volume and reliability but correct me if I'm wrong), and a cheap cost of living would be ideal.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

- Sundizzel

Last edited:
Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Las Vegas? but i'm sure many places outside USA nowadays have decent spots.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think canada and most of the European countries are perfect for poker pro

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Las vegas is a hot spot to play but, big dollars are at monty carlo.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Las Vegas of course if you want to live in the USA.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In Europe obviously London, Andorra or Malta I have heard a lot about those 3 sites or countries that you can comfortably play poker much more online and in United Kingdom you can play more live as well as online and be able to travel around Europe.

In Latin America, which is where I am in Venezuela, I would like to go play in brazil, Costa Rica, Panama or Uruguay. I have heard that in those countries online poker is played well and live and is respected as a game of skill. mental.

G

goozfrahbah

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Canada, Europe, Thailand maybe

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Macao. I think Macao is biggest center of gambling in the world so that is the right place for poker pros.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is balance between living costs (including internet price if you will play online, local regulations and taxes for both online and live poker game and availability and hardness of the games. It is not easy answer and maybe best is to first go to poker trip to the country that you liked for a few weeks to see personally what is the deal there before moving permanently.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think Brazil is very good for the currency that is very devalued, and you earn usd 5x times more than the real currency of Brazil!:saint:

S

slais_pro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Если говорить об офлайне, то наверное Лас-Вегас, но если онлайн, то это любое место где вам комфортно, главное чтобы был стабильный интернет.

Last edited:
partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Monte Carlo, Malta, Bucharest underground location, theres more money there than many people would think haha, I also think Las Vegas is alredy overrated but cant say totally but in a big proportion things are not in players favor there nowdays

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
For me it would be about living costs, but I am not playing with a big bankroll.

Many poker pros relocate to Asia, especially Thailand. If you like the culture and the hot climate it's a perfect place to settle down.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the pursuit of making a living from poker, what are some of the top locations in the world to live? One of my favorite streamers, Fintan Hand (a.k.a., easywithaces) is an Irish native but lived for several years in Malta while he built his bankroll--doesn't sound like too shabby of a deal! Of course, different people in different situations will have different considerations, but I'd like to hear from everyone to get their take. Specific countries, states, or cities would be great.

From the grinders I have heard discuss this topic, they typically cite the primary concerns as: a) availability of poker (live and/or online, as well as WHICH online sites are allowed in that country/state), b) the cost of living in that country/state (typically they prefer low cost of living unless they're crushers), and c) internet availability and consistency (obviously applying to online poker). What are your thoughts towards one of, or all, these points?

I imagine a lot of people will say something like Las Vegas, Macao, London, and maybe California for high-stakes live players. I imagine for online, on the other hand, wherever has good enough internet, access to the most online poker sites (primarily PokerStars and PartyPoker, as they are touted as the top sites right now for volume and reliability but correct me if I'm wrong), and a cheap cost of living would be ideal.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

- Sundizzel

Hey Sundizzell, great question!

For online poker another consideration worth mentioned is the tax treatment around poker. This is why many Swiss and German players have moved to austria (low or no tax if I'm not mistaken) and also why many other European players moved to the UK.

Also proximity to friends and family, being in a time zone you're used to can matter to.

For players who live in Europe, Malta seems to be the most preferred destination.
I don't know if there is a ton else to do on that island, but it seems like a huge gambling hub.

For minimal cost of living but still sturdy internet Thailand is a big hit as well (I believe that our resident Poker Expert Nathan Williams lives there and says it's great).

Thailand is also very close to Macau for live play, as well as many other south east asian countries where your money goes farther (like Bali) and where there is still lots of quality poker (like the Phillipines).

For players in the America's the popular spots seem to be mexico and Costa Rica for those looking for warmer climates, and Canada for people desiring that similar quality of living to the USA.

Personally if I didn't have family and friends in Canada I would probably move to Costa Rica. The internet is great, the people are friendly, the quality of living is top notch and it's a paradise with incredible weather. Also being able to go on day trips to national parks sounds pretty lovely to me.

It will really depend on where you are at in your career, and what your expectation is in terms of earn. Do you want to just grind 24/7, do you want to do some sight seeing, do you want to have a social life etc.?

It's important to consider these things, and also to consider finding people to travel with before going on such an adventure. Because grinding it out 24/7 solo can at times get depressing, and having that social circle around you to keep you sane and in check is a big game changer that will help you get better results and experience more happiness :D

Organize a Home Poker Game