Why we love ring games.

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm sorry before I start my discussion of ring games, sometimes they are called cash games, I won't digress. Unlike tournaments you are decidedly against only the people at your table. The cash game warrior loves this advantage. We are a player with the utmost knowledge that every hand counts towards our profit. We sit down with 3 or 4 grinders we've seen there forever, wondering if it's worth it. It is. Because , ultimately someone will sit down with a rack of chips who is a stranger to us. I realize a tournament is cool, but, what happens to the people that get cracked? I've looked at tourneys and wonder why it takes you 5 hours to get money. It takes me 30 minutes.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really about the risk-reward. I've always liked tourneys because of much you could win if you really do make it to the final table as a multiple of the buy-in. For me, I've stopped playing tourneys mostly because I don't have the time -- at most, I'd have an hour, maybe 2 max to play... and this is why cash is preferred for me right now.

The thing with tourneys is that when you land in the top 10 of a tournament, you are playing for top prize (and at least the final table). Just randomly popped into a recent completed tournament, and a .55c buyin MTT netted you $9.36 for 9th place (17x buyin) and if you make it to the top 3, you are up for $75.73, $98.01 and $170.36 (137x, 178x, and 310x buyins respectively). How long would it take you to net over 137x buyins in a cash table? In a tourney, you could do it in just around 9 hours.

But you gotta be both lucky and good to win a tourney (even making it to the final table)... the rewards for those 9 hours of work is far more efficient than in cash games. But there is so much variance with tourney play. I really don't know how overall winrates compare between a decent tourney player and a decent cash player.

All that said... I'm kinda with you. I have learned to love the cash game and is now my preferred game type over tourneys. To each his own, I think. :)

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It's really about the risk-reward. I've always liked tourneys because of much you could win if you really do make it to the final table as a multiple of the buy-in. For me, I've stopped playing tourneys mostly because I don't have the time -- at most, I'd have an hour, maybe 2 max to play... and this is why cash is preferred for me right now.

The thing with tourneys is that when you land in the top 10 of a tournament, you are playing for top prize (and at least the final table). Just randomly popped into a recent completed tournament, and a .55c buyin MTT netted you $9.36 for 9th place (17x buyin) and if you make it to the top 3, you are up for $75.73, $98.01 and $170.36 (137x, 178x, and 310x buyins respectively). How long would it take you to net over 137x buyins in a cash table? In a tourney, you could do it in just around 9 hours.

But you gotta be both lucky and good to win a tourney (even making it to the final table)... the rewards for those 9 hours of work is far more efficient than in cash games. But there is so much variance with tourney play. I really don't know how overall winrates compare between a decent tourney player and a decent cash player.

All that said... I'm kinda with you. I have learned to love the cash game and is now my preferred game type over tourneys. To each his own, I think. :)

Every professional player knows that the skill advantage is biggest in cash games.

The reason high stakes players now play a lot of tournaments are that there are almost no fish left in high stakes cash. Amateurs win tickets to higher buy-ins via satellites and sometimes also like to gamble for as you state it a big reward.

But the risk for a good player to go with-out getting paid is MUCH higher in tournaments (due to luck-factor being bigger - and variance caused by big fields and top heavy payouts).

You can win big with a lottery ticket also. No reason to play just because you can win big (other than the thrill for a big score).

Play where the bad players are. If you get them in a cash game it is much easier to get their money.

If you only play online and at bigger stakes than 50-100NL it is almost only regulars left, so I can see an argument for MTTs at these stakes (and higher).

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every professional player knows that the skill advantage is biggest in cash games.

The reason high stakes players now play a lot of tournaments are that there are almost no fish left in high stakes cash. Amateurs win tickets to higher buy-ins via satellites and sometimes also like to gamble for as you state it a big reward.

But the risk for a good player to go with-out getting paid is MUCH higher in tournaments (due to luck-factor being bigger - and variance caused by big fields and top heavy payouts).

You can win big with a lottery ticket also. No reason to play just because you can win big (other than the thrill for a big score).

Play where the bad players are. If you get them in a cash game it is much easier to get their money.

If you only play online and at bigger stakes than 50-100NL it is almost only regulars left, so I can see an argument for MTTs at these stakes (and higher).

Nice answer, thanks for sharing!

ACEWOLF56

ACEWOLF56

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree. Cash games are the way to go if you are looking to grind a real living playing poker. Tournaments have more land mines than the Vietnam war. You can have the goods preflop and some luck box playing bingo will call and get lucky just by picking certain spots to go all in on. I rather play with the regs, at least it’s skill for skill, and that’s how you get better as well.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reason

Because there is no confidence that We win the cash game, We play a tournament.

quartz

quartz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love the freedom to get up and do things then return (just be careful not to miss a bad beat jackpot, lol)

Top 10 Games