Live 1/2 opening Ranges (Avoiding Ax hands)

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all. I'm wondering if you avoid playing A6s to A9s type hands in live 1/2 games where it goes multiway with tons of limpers (In early position).

I've basically stopped playing these hands multiway. If there's a raise I will often also fold A2 to A5 if I know there will be a lot of loose calls. Normally I would overlimp these and fold if I don't hit a straight or flush draw at such tables.

How do you guys handle these hands at loose tables? Just curious to see if you also fold these hands. They don't do well postflop in my opinion, especially multiway.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can open all these from all positions as long as there is no aggressive 3 bettors and playing standard stack.

It is fairly straight forward to play as long as you know when to fold top pair.

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a cash game. If you hit your hand, you might get paid alot. I'll def play suited Aces, because you can hit the nuts and win an entire stack vs suppose the 2nd nuts. The implied odds are there esp if you have big stacks at the table. However if you have like A6s but only hit top pair 6 kicker, proceed cautiously. You might have to fold. Even if you're against a bigger Ace preflop, your Ax hand is still 25% equity in HU matchup. Understand the equity matchup of hands preflop. But bet sizing and stack sizes and implied odds and position definitely go into account with one's preflop range.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a cash game. If you hit your hand, you might get paid alot. I'll def play suited Aces, because you can hit the nuts and win an entire stack vs suppose the 2nd nuts. The implied odds are there esp if you have big stacks at the table. However if you have like A6s but only hit top pair 6 kicker, proceed cautiously. You might have to fold. Even if you're against a bigger Ace preflop, your Ax hand is still 25% equity in HU matchup. Understand the equity matchup of hands preflop. But bet sizing and stack sizes and implied odds and position definitely go into account with one's preflop range.

Thanks, are the implied odds still there with a 4x open? I always overlimp those hands or call vs. a minraise, but what about bigger raises? Multiway it's obv profitable, but at how many players in a pot does it become unprofitable to make that call? If I'm playing with a bunch of stations it always feels like the hands I mentioned just don't perform well vs. an open raise + several callers.

EDIT: Apologies about the title, it should say "calling ranges".

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t think playing them by calling raises in middle position is positive. If you hit an ace you will have tricky decision later on flop/turn.
I would only play them if I get to lead the action and raise limpers.

M

marvbake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, are the implied odds still there with a 4x open? I always overlimp those hands or call vs. a minraise, but what about bigger raises? Multiway it's obv profitable, but at how many players in a pot does it become unprofitable to make that call? If I'm playing with a bunch of stations it always feels like the hands I mentioned just don't perform well vs. an open raise + several callers.

EDIT: Apologies about the title, it should say "calling ranges".

Depends on player doing the 4x bet and what position and stack size.

If 4x is his standard for premiums(AA, KK, and QQ) if you hit a set you can possibly stack him off or double up against his overpair.

Suppose you both started with 200, he makes it 8. You have 33. He has AA. That’s 8 to win 200 or 25:1 implied odds if he can’t fold an overpair and you have a set.

Depends on your positioning too. Sometimes somebody can come over the top after you, which you have take into account. You don’t want to call to only fold to a 3 bet out of position or even call.

When there’s more people you’re getting more pot odds to call so if you’re playing at loose passive table where everyone generally sees a flop, then you should call. Suppose you’re getting 5:1 pot odds preflop because you have a 2 bettor and a bunch of calls in front. You’re equity has to be at least 16% to win for the call to be profitable there. Connector cards, pocket pairs, and suited Aces play well here. You should call even if somebody might have you outkicked like AJo vs your JTo just because it plays so well multi-way.

Also at a loose passive table have squeeze plays in your arsenal and 3 bet light vs wide 2 bettors.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands