Originally Posted by DaleM
A good way of learning to play post is to put in some hands playing Limit Holdem.
While I see where you're going with this, playing the flop turn and river are completely different since we have the correct pot odds
to check/call often in LHE, unlike NL. Considering that I play a tight range, most pots would be big enough pre-flop to make it very hard to fold out anyone post-flop. Since there's much less fold equity, bluffing becomes nearly impossible. This is especially true at the lowest of the low micro stakes (where I play) where people will pay just to see what you had.
1. become a consistent winner at 2NL
2. build bankroll from $100 to $200 using only 1/2 cent NLHE
3. move to 2/4 cent NLHE ($4 buy in)
4. become a consistent winner at this level
5. continue bankroll building to 50 buy-ins for each next level of stakes and then move up
6. play 100,000 hands of NLHE in 4-5 months
7. spend a little time every day analyzing hands from recent sessions
8. post hands on forums asking for advice and insight
9. read, re-read, and study at least 1 poker book per month
1. Calling big raises from fish with tptk or less. DUMB DUMB DUMB! I need to stop donating my money to noobs.
2. Susceptibility to tilt when getting sucked out on. I need to identify this when it happens and immediately take a break. I have been making the mistake of waiting for the big blind to reach the player on my right before stopping play. I think this has cost me more in the long run than it has saved me.
3. Big Blind play: I have a very high fold to steal % which I think other regs are exploiting. The best way to work on this is strengthening my post flop play so that I feel more confident 3 betting a late position opener and taking a flop with some of the more marginal hands.
If anyone has any ideas or advice to help in the areas listed above, please don't hesitate to comment.
Questionable plays on my part:
Should I have folded on the flop to a <1/2 pot donk bet? My reasoning for calling was that I had 2 overs and a gutshot. Should I have raised at that point? I know the fish behind me is calling with almost anything so I decided to just call. I hit the straight on the turn and got the money in good, but then he rivers a flush and I could not have bet him off of his hand on the turn. How would you play the following hand differently?
Me(LP) $5.68 - VP:15 PFR:12 AF:2.5 W:38|67 STL:67|100 3B:5|50 CB:71|0 N:0.28 Hands:98
420Hockey(MP) $5.68 - VP:43 PFR:13 AF:2.8 W:27|44 STL:0|25 3B:5|0 CB:71|67 N:2.81 Hands:80
Bob Angler(MP) $0.52 - VP:32 PFR:2 AF:1.3 W:5|100 STL:0|50 3B:4| CB:|86 N:0.12 Hands:59
URwright(SB) $1.41 - VP:63 PFR:9 AF:0.8 W:15|80 STL:40|100 3B:0|100 CB:75|56 N:1.89 Hands:54
DankBank(MP) $2.28 - VP:24 PFR:0 AF:3.5 W:22|50 STL:0|0 3B:0| CB: N:-0.07 Hands:33
buzzd2(CO) $1.59 - VP:25 PFR:0 AF:Inf. W:100|100 STL: 3B:0| CB: N:0.18 Hands:4
Mrheehaw(UTG) $0.66 - VP:22 PFR:0 AF: W:0| STL: 3B:0| CB:|100 N:-0.09 Hands:9
bigTEE420(BTN) $0.21 - VP:50 PFR:0 AF: W:40|50 STL: 3B:0| CB: N:-0.09 Hands:6
darkteco(BB) $2 - VP:0 PFR:0 AF: W: STL: 3B:0| CB: N:-0.02 Hands:1
Pre Flop: Me(LP) with [Qh,As]
Mrheehaw(UTG) folds, Bob Angler(MP) folds, DankBank(MP) calls 0.02, darkteco(BB) checks, Me(LP) raises 0.10, buzzd2(CO) folds, bigTEE420(BTN) folds, URwright(SB) calls 0.09, 420Hockey(MP) folds, DankBank(MP) calls 0.08, darkteco(BB) folds
Flop: (4d,Jh,Td) (3 players)
URwright(SB) checks, DankBank(MP) bets 0.25, Me(LP) calls 0.25, URwright(SB) calls 0.25
Turn: Kh (3 players)
URwright(SB) checks, DankBank(MP) checks, Me(LP) bets 0.99, URwright(SB) calls 0.99, DankBank(MP) folds
River: 3d (2 players)
URwright(SB) bets 0.07, Me(LP) calls 0.07
Me(LP) shows [Qh,As]
URwright(SB) shows [Ad,Kd]
URwright(SB) wins 2.89
How about this one? Should I not have 4 bet shoved pre? The villains in question were taking flops almost no matter the cost with wide ranges, so I thought since I was almost always ahead here, that I might as well get the money in good and possibly cause 1 of them to fold. What would you do differently here?
Me(MP) $4.30 - VP:14 PFR:12 AF:2.5 W:39|71 STL:67|100 3B:6|33 CB:71|0 N:-1.20 Hands:119
URwright(LP) $1.76 - VP:64 PFR:12 AF:1.0 W:17|63 STL:40|100 3B:3|100 CB:57|60 N:3.81 Hands:75
DankBank(BB) $1.87 - VP:22 PFR:0 AF:2.7 W:15|50 STL:0|0 3B:0| CB:|100 N:-0.15 Hands:54
buzzd2(MP) $1.73 - VP:20 PFR:0 AF:4.0 W:17|100 STL: 3B:0| CB:|0 N:0.32 Hands:25
bigTEE420(MP) $0.47 - VP:48 PFR:7 AF:Inf. W:20|67 STL: 3B:0| CB:50|0 N:0.17 Hands:27
darkteco(UTG) $2.41 - VP:9 PFR:5 AF:0.5 W:50|100 STL: 3B:0| CB:100| N:0.41 Hands:22
aivanova(MP) $2.58 - VP:37 PFR:11 AF:2.3 W:38|100 STL: 3B:0| CB:100|0 N:1.28 Hands:19
royloml(CO) $2 - VP:25 PFR:13 AF: W:100|0 STL:100| 3B:0|0 CB: N:-1.97 Hands:8
CA2PER(BTN) $1.08 - VP:56 PFR:11 AF:0.4 W:83|40 STL: 3B:0| CB:100|0 N:0.21 Hands:9
Pre Flop: Me(MP) with [Ks,Kh]
darkteco(UTG) folds, Me(MP) raises 0.08, buzzd2(MP) folds, aivanova(MP) folds, bigTEE420(MP) folds, URwright(LP) raises 0.14, royloml(CO) calls 0.12, CA2PER(BTN) folds, DankBank(BB) folds, Me(MP) raises 4.22, URwright(LP) calls 1.62, royloml(CO) calls 1.85
Returns 2.31 to Me(MP)
Me(MP) shows [Ks,Kh]
royloml(CO) shows [Ac,Kc]
URwright(LP) shows [Kd,Jd]
Me(MP) wins 0.46
URwright(LP) wins 4.81