Easy or bad fold on turn

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

An interesting situation that i'm curious about. Is this an easy fold or a mediocre one? For me it seems pretty easy and standard as played but i'm curious to know if there is something wrong or could be played better in the future

PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (MP): 101.4 BB
MP+1: 138.4 BB (VPIP: 16.99, PFR: 12.22, 3Bet Preflop: 5.53, hands: 680)
MP+2: 19.6 BB (VPIP: 46.00, PFR: 24.00, 3Bet Preflop: 4.76, Hands: 52)
CO: 95 BB (VPIP: 24.08, PFR: 15.57, 3Bet Preflop: 3.61, Hands: 246)
BTN: 102 BB (VPIP: 5.32, PFR: 4.26, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 94)
SB: 116.2 BB (VPIP: 16.94, PFR: 7.26, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 127)
BB: 283.6 BB (VPIP: 20.51, PFR: 6.90, 3Bet Preflop: 0.54, Hands: 518)
UTG: 103.8 BB
UTG+1: 139.6 BB (VPIP: 36.73, PFR: 20.41, 3Bet Preflop: 5.56, Hands: 52)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K:club: A:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, MP+2 calls 3 BB, CO calls 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (15.4 BB, 5 players) 7:heart: 7:spade: K:heart:
BB checks, Hero bets 5 BB, MP+2 calls 5 BB, CO calls 5 BB, fold, BB calls 5 BB

Turn: (35.4 BB, 4 players) 5:heart:
BB checks, Hero checks, MP+2 bets 6 BB, CO calls 6 BB, BB calls 6 BB, fold

River: (53.4 BB, 3 players) 5:club:
BB bets 51.2 BB, MP+2 calls 5.6 BB and is all-in, fold

BB shows T:diamond: 7:diamond: (Full House, Sevens full of Fives)
(Pre 34%, Flop 20%, Turn 13%)
MP+2 shows A:spade: 7:club: (Full House, Sevens full of Fives)
(Pre 66%, Flop 80%, Turn 87%)
MP+2 wins 31 BB
BB wins 31 BB

:fight:

T

Thenightrain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting hand, thank you for sharing.

My 1st thought is MP+2 is playing loose with A7o from that position but obviously isn’t going away after that flop.

BB - not a bad pre-flop call with the right odds to call.

I think with the way the board ran out you could have walked away from this hand but I know with AK that’s easier said than done.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is not easy or mediocre, but really hard one. I would not have been able to do that I'm quite sure. Not because fold is not right, but more a reflex.

You have two to zero outs, so around 3%, implied odds on the roof. Break even call?

Last edited:
DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is probably just a standard check-fold after you get three calls on the flop and the flush turns.

Going for you: you are closing the action and the bet is so small... but there's too much action for you to have the best hand (and if it is somehow good you still have to dodge a lot of river cards).

Good luck to you! :D

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should be increasing your preflop raise size when you are getting 5 way action in pots, you need to punish the people coming in with trash hands. As played you have no idea where you are at on the flop, so I would either check-fold or check-call depending on the action. When the heart comes in on the turn you should be done with the hand if you werent already.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should be increasing your preflop raise size when you are getting 5 way action in pots, you need to punish the people coming in with trash hands. As played you have no idea where you are at on the flop, so I would either check-fold or check-call depending on the action. When the heart comes in on the turn you should be done with the hand if you werent already.
Infreasing the preflop size would not change anything.. If You get 4 callers in one hand does not mean that you will everytime. If i knew that 3-4 people would call for sure i would make it bigger or just fold (probably just fold since i still miss 66% of the time so why would i want to put more money vs 4 people knowing that).

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If hero has 1.5 outs ~3% equity, EV=0.03*(35.4+18+x)-0.97*6 =0 => x = 141 -> If hero calls, when he hits he needs to win 141bb more which will not happen. With 6% equity it’s enough to win under pot when hit. So tiny marginals it seems.

Infreasing the preflop size would not change anything.. If You get 4 callers in one hand does not mean that you will everytime.
The point imo was that hero selects a size that gives the number of callers desired.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Infreasing the preflop size would not change anything.. If You get 4 callers in one hand does not mean that you will everytime. If i knew that 3-4 people would call for sure i would make it bigger or just fold (probably just fold since i still miss 66% of the time so why would i want to put more money vs 4 people knowing that).

I just meant you should look to punish people who are trying to see every flop. If you are getting constant 5 way action from 3bb, time to make it 5bb or more.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like check calling on the turn. You dont know if villain is betting because they have you beat or because they think you will fold a better hand.

Bet fold on the turn is better than check call.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like check calling on the turn. You dont know if villain is betting because they have you beat or because they think you will fold a better hand.

Bet fold on the turn is better than check call.

If I am not mistaken, this was a check-fold on the turn by hero.
And I don't think raising on the turn is good once 3rd heart is out. Hero doesn't block Axs that completes the flush, and with so many callers pre, 7 is a big part of their range as well.

The hand was played near perfect by hero. I do want to suggest bigger pre-flop raises with good hands out of position (like 5BB or so). Be prepared that it doesn't work as intended considering its microstakes, but should still reduce the number of callers.

Folding in Poker