Your tips to stay concentrated playing hours of tournaments?

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
i have noticed that lately almost 70% of my tournaments starts really well some of them i am in the top 10 for one hour and more , then after 2+ hours of play , i make poor choices , i easily shove with medium hands it becomes torture to me and end up tilting even with an average stack , it might be related to the fact that i stopped drinking and smoking lately and it got me in such an 'aggresive' mood , is there any tips for playing long hours of tournaments ? how to keep your cool and not loose or get too tired and just give up. tricks to be more relaxed maybe ? do other players have such problems ?

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This is a frequent question here in the forum. Breathe, slow and deep and focus your attention on your breath. In times when you are close to losing control, empty your mind and pay attention to your expiration rate and inspiration. This will help you to keep calm.

Last edited:
monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
five minutes watch a cartoon or listen to your favorite song...
:elefant:

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's definitely an acquired skill and one of the most important aspects an excellent poker player needs to master. The truth is that poker is slow and boring. You fold most hands and need to think very critically when you are in a hand. This is especially true for live poker so we should be really grateful for online poker :p

I listen to music and maybe have a stream in the background to look at while I wait for good hands. This keeps me entertained because I'm not devoting all my brainpower into the game. I get bored easily so focusing on more than one thing at a time keeps me ironically more focused on what I'm doing if that makes sense.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Tips I could give, as I love to play long mtt's and somehow managing to get ITM of large % of these (however still not big cash next to my name :p) are:
- Try to control the Table - it means not only your play and action, but also how others act - how you could exploit them, how you could exploit any hand where you are still in.
- Be prepared to fold a lot, but always watch your opponents, watch and identify what range they use, how they act in different situations. This you will use later for your success!
- Watch your stake size compared to the average size. If you are below the average - tighten up your range, if over - widen the range accordingly.
- Smoke :p and some drink is not a problem, unless if it is overdose :p

The most important is to keep calm, to be prepared for 7 - 8 hours game mentally. If you have to do something before possible finish of mtt - do not register at all!
If you loose a big pot and get shortstacked - it does not mean the tourney is finished for you - play short stack strategy and wait for the hands you could revive :top:

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have noticed that lately almost 70% of my tournaments starts really well some of them i am in the top 10 for one hour and more , then after 2+ hours of play , i make poor choices , i easily shove with medium hands it becomes torture to me and end up tilting even with an average stack , it might be related to the fact that i stopped drinking and smoking lately and it got me in such an 'aggresive' mood , is there any tips for playing long hours of tournaments ? how to keep your cool and not loose or get too tired and just give up. tricks to be more relaxed maybe ? do other players have such problems ?

My nr. 1 tip for long tournaments: evening during the first levels, make use of the breaks. Walk a bit, get some drinks etc. If you actually stand up from your computer, it keeps you more focussed later on.

As for not having any discipline in the later levels. Remember the value of payjumps, try to continue to play rationally. Because remember, the longer you survive the more money you win. It's a bit of an open door, but sometimes you need to remind yourself of this.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My nr. 1 tip for long tournaments: evening during the first levels, make use of the breaks. Walk a bit, get some drinks etc. If you actually stand up from your computer, it keeps you more focussed later on.

I totally agree :D
Use the breaks, get some water in your head, and also keep your brain hydrated.
Its very important to be hydrated when you have to make good desicions.

I also stopped smoking a month ago - they say live longer when not smoking.
True, it have been the longest month in my life :eek:
Chewing gum was the answer for me, it keeps the tilt away :p

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No important how u get top place, i think if u want just play, and game like u can win.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take the breaks, always. Walk away, get something to drink, stretch. Don't stare at the screen waiting for the break to be over.

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mental stamina is sort of like physical stamina; you need to be taking care of yourself and staying in shape in order to be able to concentrate for as long as you need to during a big online tournament. Live tournaments might be multiple days, but they usually do not go past eight hours a day with longer breaks than online games. But it would be a good idea to stay fit and eat healthy in any case.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have similar problems, but not 100%. At three o'clock my attention begins to dissipate. And the problem is not in the basic theories, but in moments of skill, you often do not take into account small nuances.
All of the above in the comments does not help. I am also looking for help with this.
Entering the alpha game helps a bit, the problem is that it is not always possible to enter this state.

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
maybe multi tabling tournaments at the same time is better than playing single tournaments all day long ? less hours in front of the computer = less fatigue and tilt ?

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
This question is very frequent, I am the kind of person who thinks that each player should look or know how to recognize that keeps him focused, because I can tell you: listen to music, stay in a very quiet place, or I can tell you avoid the noise, the music, etc, I especially like to listen to music (sometimes), talk to my friends while I play, but as I say what I do to concentrate it may not work for you, try to try things that you feel comfortable with

P

PharCyde007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tips

I somtimes watch movies in smaller buyin tournaments, larger ones i listen to music so i can keep an eye on betting patterns and people who seem to bluff and bully alot. :star:

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop following all the hands it will wear you out. Just follow the hands that are shown/go to show down.

B

BobZock

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I listen to music and maybe have a stream in the background to look at while I wait for good hands. This keeps me entertained because I'm not devoting all my brainpower into the game. I get bored easily so focusing on more than one thing at a time keeps me ironically more focused on what I'm doing if that makes sense.
That is why netflix exists!:D Need just another monitor. !

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
That is why netflix exists!:D Need just another monitor. !
I need a monitor at all, stiill. :D
I am still sitting with my laptop here, but sometimes it really bothers,
because of this small screen...

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice is take regular breaks, even if it means you miss an orbit of cards after your BB, also look at your environment where you play, keep hydrated, ensure supply of fresh air into room, sometimes i tune out with music but the key is to be relaxed...

S

SantasPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with several other people, but personally, for the first few hours of any tournaments I will distract myself with other things, youtube, movies, music etc etc... and if i find myself in a deep run then I turn those things off, or pay more attention to that table so can I can play better. Don't invest so heavily early on when their is alot more variance, table movement and players being moved. Later when things calm down is when you want to focus, IMO of course.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You can lengthen your attention span. It takes a LOT of work and actually feels like it hurts your brain. But in fact that discomfort is your brain re-organizing to increase attention.

And, stop shoving with medium hands....lol

Aggressive mood? Only you can ignore it. Stick to your preflop range.

Still not working? Stay with tournament structures that work for you. Why re-invent the wheel for yourself?

Don't torture yourself....forgive yourself.

Maybe after an hour you just don't want to play anymore. And that is ok.

Use the sit-out button when it gets very bad. Better to stand up and walk around and blind out for a little while than to donk off your entire stack. That is my opinion.

Good luck !

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hours and power

my experience ...when you fell that way....play sit and go games

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I usually like to listen to my favorite music, to be in very quiet places, I make the most of the breaks of each tournament and another thing that I always do is that if the tournament has a long registration time, I do not register from the beginning, I wait a while prudent so I am not so much time sitting playing and I do not waste chips at the start of the tournaments

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
thanks for the tips everyone, very much appreciated , ill make the best of it)

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like having this on in the background sometimes to help keep me focused. It helps a little bit, but I think the biggest thing is constantly putting in longer hours so you get used to it.

M

mjarom21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Def find myself wondering off after a few hours of play. The think that works for e in concentrating on every player and his moves and timing of bets. Just making notes and constantly looking for a little advantage to possible future hands.

Poker Tips