Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I haven't read any poker books yet. But I plan to choose an option for myself in the near future. I only play in tournaments. Which book would you recommend me to read? Which book was most useful to you?

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dunno, poker have changed drastically in the past decade, so if would be choosing, that would be some most fresh book there is. Not sure if anyone is focusing on writing much books nowadays.
I haven't read any poker books yet. But I plan to choose an option for myself in the near future. I only play in tournaments. Which book would you recommend me to read? Which book was most useful to you?

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Hello.
No doubt, poker has changed a lot, but a book can always be useful if you read it carefully.
I read Ed Miller's book Texas Hold'em for Beginners.
This is a fairly informative book that will definitely help you gain new knowledge.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Sklansky has some good material.

K

kioge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are a beginner and want to play tournaments, I recommend Strategies for Beating Small Stakes Poker Tournaments, written by Jonathan Little. You can register for a free version at pokercoahing.com.
Although it was published in 2015, beginners can learn a lot.

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The two-volume book by Jonathan Little:

Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker, Volume 1: Fundamentals and How to Handle Varying Stack Sizes

Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker, Volume 2: Stages of the Tournament

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
There is a good book that I can advise you. This book will allow you to better understand the basic principles and improve your skills.
Andrew Seidman - "The Easy Game".
Good luck.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi.
There is a good book that I can advise you. This book will allow you to better understand the basic principles and improve your skills.
Andrew Seidman - "The Easy Game".
Good luck.
Alan Schoonmaker "Your Worst Poker Enemy"Unlike strategy books, good game psychology books never go out of date. In the practice of poker, new trends are constantly emerging, but the psychology of the players is subject to changes to a lesser extent. Alan Schoonmaker's book was published in 2007, but it is worth reading it today. The headline contains the words of world poker legend Stu Unger "Your worst poker enemy is you." The author of the book is a psychologist, doctor of sciences. He advises major corporations such as IBM and General Motors, writes psychology, and provides advice to users of the largest English-language forum twoplustwo.This book will help you learn how psychological factors affect your game and the game of other people, learn how to apply this knowledge against your opponents, and be less susceptible to their negative influence. Schoonmaker emphasizes that his work is aimed at people who already know how to play at a good level, but are unhappy with their results and understand that the leaks in their game are of a mental nature. One of the most difficult tasks for a poker player was and remains the ability to adequately assess their game. The book "Your Worst Poker Enemy" will be invaluable in improving this skill. It is written in simple language and reads quite easily, but in terms of the amount of useful information it exceeds all expectations.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington on hold'em. All three volumes.

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The colleagues here are right when telling you not to read something very old if you already know the basics of the game.

To someone really starting I would go over some that ppl already mentioned here:

- Harrington on poker(3 volumes);
- Harrington on tournament poker;

Now, if you already have experience and want to get into the current play (GTOxexploit) then I definetely recommend:

MODERN POKER THEORY.

I cant stress it enough, this book have all the basic things you need to know to start being a better player.

beside these, I have also read Satellite poker by Dara O'Kearney. Which is for me a holy grail in matters of satellite strategy (of course, you gotta use it wisely).

and "The mental game of poker" by Jared Tendler and Barry Carter.

Reading these posts I am now inclined to buy one of these:

Alan Schoonmaker "Your Worst Poker Enemy"

The Mental game of poker Vol. 2.

That is because I play recreationally, and sometimes when I play for a long period of time (like everyday after work and then during the weekend through) I have a burn out and eventually end up not playing as much and even worse, my game goes down severely. So, I think I need to re-think my schedule/mental strategies to keep playing consistently.

hope it helps.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Alan Schoonmaker "Your Worst Poker Enemy"Unlike strategy books, good game psychology books never go out of date. In the practice of poker, new trends are constantly emerging, but the psychology of the players is subject to changes to a lesser extent. Alan Schoonmaker's book was published in 2007, but it is worth reading it today. The headline contains the words of world poker legend Stu Unger "Your worst poker enemy is you." The author of the book is a psychologist, doctor of sciences. He advises major corporations such as IBM and General Motors, writes psychology, and provides advice to users of the largest English-language forum twoplustwo.This book will help you learn how psychological factors affect your game and the game of other people, learn how to apply this knowledge against your opponents, and be less susceptible to their negative influence. Schoonmaker emphasizes that his work is aimed at people who already know how to play at a good level, but are unhappy with their results and understand that the leaks in their game are of a mental nature. One of the most difficult tasks for a poker player was and remains the ability to adequately assess their game. The book "Your Worst Poker Enemy" will be invaluable in improving this skill. It is written in simple language and reads quite easily, but in terms of the amount of useful information it exceeds all expectations.

As for psychology books, I encourage everyone to read Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker".

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anything by hellmuth harrington and Phil Gordon is top shelf IMO. If your looking for a Omaha book, this guy named Jeff Hwang has a big book about it that’s very good. Look online for them, some ebooks online can be very cheap and you can keep them in your phone. Being able to read poker material on your phone is a plus because you can do it when you have a minute waiting for whatever.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I made my own with my own experiences. I call it my poker bible and read all my notes before major tournaments and sessions. And still adding to it whenever I learn something new or a new stat to be a better player. Over all I think poker books are a waste of time and online training programs. It's better to study psychology and statistics/math. You will.be better off that way.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me they are all the same, best bet is to read right here in CC. They have a lot of information that has help me a lot. Check out what information is right in front of and if not sure, ask here in the forum. They are happy to assist you. Good Luck

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know how this book is properly called in English, but I will translate it from my own language. Colleen Moshman - SnG Strategy. It was interesting for me to read this book and I learned a lot of new things. I advise all beginners to read it.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would highly recommend anything by Dan Halderson:

He is a tremendous strategist, and has been very successful in the world of poker.

He is also a world ranked chess champion, so if you want to learn strategy, he is the way to go.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
"Texas Hold'em for Beginners" - very good book. I am sure that this book will help you gain new knowledge and improve your skills.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would highly recommend anything by Dan Halderson:

He is a tremendous strategist, and has been very successful in the world of poker.

He is also a world ranked chess champion, so if you want to learn strategy, he is the way to go.

"Texas Hold'em for Beginners" - very good book. I am sure that this book will help you gain new knowledge and improve your skills.

Thank you. I will definitely pay attention to these books. :)

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The new Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker by Jonathan Little is really informative and helpful. This single volume replaces the previous 2 volume editions with some overlap and some new material

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you. I will definitely pay attention to these books. :)

My bad....I said Dan Halderson....I meant Dan Harrington.

(Dan Halderson is a Canadian professional golfer.)

Sorry for the goof up.

I've read much of Dan Harrington, and I have improved my play many times over, after reading his works.

He has 3 "Harrington on Hold'em" books.

regata123

regata123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Den Harrington " Tournament poker " 3 books .