You use the same range of hands in a tournament?

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone. The question is: In a tournament in different phases, initial faces, faces stockings, bubble and final face, you use the same range of hands? Or vary, that depends?

You could tell the range you use. It is optional, greetings.

M

MstrBlast3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to adjust ranges situationally based on stack size and where you are at in the tournament. If you are deep stacked you can widen your range. If you are shorter you maybe tightening looking to get all in and double and or stealing blinds

DuffMcGruff

DuffMcGruff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You want to open up your range a bit once antis kick in. Most tournament players won’t be adjusting to antis and that gives you a great opportunity to chip up.

As for bubble play, that is stack dependent. Short stacks are basically solved with push/fold charts. Mid stacks want to avoid big stacks but still try to punish smaller stacks when you get the chance. Big stacks can play wide due to most players playing too tight on the bubble.

Final table bubbles are an interesting spot. In the grand scheme of things, it won’t matter to your ROI much if you bubble a final table, but a lot of players are still scared of busting so close to a FT. This presents an interesting opportunity to chip up a bit before a FT.

BilNicholson

BilNicholson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
different ranges for different stages of tourneys and depending on stack sizes, for example having a bigger stack around cash bubbles and ft bubbles you can steal more but shorter stack you want to tighten up.

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends. for example if you have a lot of chips you might want to see a couple of more flops

A

arpipoker1990

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, in early pahse u play more tight than in the other phases of the game but u have to be creative too:eek: in most of the time.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I choose my hand range in according of my stack and position, and I will adjust with the villains, when more close to the final more I will enlarge my range.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your range should change dramatically throughout the tourney, this should be based on stack depth, icm, and the villans at your table.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to open up your range a bit once antis kick in. Most tournament players won’t be adjusting to antis and that gives you a great opportunity to chip up.

As for bubble play, that is stack dependent. Short stacks are basically solved with push/fold charts. Mid stacks want to avoid big stacks but still try to punish smaller stacks when you get the chance. Big stacks can play wide due to most players playing too tight on the bubble.

Final table bubbles are an interesting spot. In the grand scheme of things, it won’t matter to your ROI much if you bubble a final table, but a lot of players are still scared of busting so close to a FT. This presents an interesting opportunity to chip up a bit before a FT.

Hello very good advice, I have much in mind. It has happened sometimes, when I have an average stack the higher stacks play more open and equal hands many times. Also once I went with AA and the big stack was 9, and the community cards connecting another 9 and stayed out of the tournament. Thank you!!!

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, in early pahse u play more tight than in the other phases of the game but u have to be creative too:eek: in most of the time.

It is very true, eh seen different ways to play, and creativity helps a lot. Thank you very much for the advice!!

Please tell me an example of creativity in game play.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your range should change dramatically throughout the tourney, this should be based on stack depth, icm, and the villans at your table.

Thank you very much for the advice. Could you give me an example of the range in a situation of a tournament. Thank you very much!!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For example you are in a standard format tourney with 1500 starting chips and the blinds are 10 -20. It is the first hand your probably want to limp your small pairs in mid position with a limper in front of you. If the blinds go 50-100 and you have 1500 with the same limper in front you cant limp your small pair because you dont have the odds with only 15blinds effective.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For example you are in a standard format tourney with 1500 starting chips and the blinds are 10 -20. It is the first hand your probably want to limp your small pairs in mid position with a limper in front of you. If the blinds go 50-100 and you have 1500 with the same limper in front you cant limp your small pair because you dont have the odds with only 15blinds effective.

Very good advice, thank you.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When a tournament is starting my range of hands is more closed, and if you manage to double your stack, you can expand your range of hands.In the bubble you have to expand your range of hands, and take advantage of the position on the table.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
for me it varies in what phase the tournament is, another thing is that I am guided by intuition, so for me it varies a lot and changes in each tournament, different situations will arise

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My range of hands in the tournament depends on the stage of the tournament and the number of chips I have.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Close to the money changes everything. No one wants to be the bubble boy. Being chip leader during this face is awesome.

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play very tight I folded QQ preflop earlier and would have lost to 1010. I just placed in a decent tourney. I folded like 95% of hands preflop just to place. But I dwindled away and lost the chance to make some good money.

I'd say play like it's survival in the beginning. Open up when you get some chips. Fold the crap. And play for the nuts.

Good luck!

polote21

polote21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the ranges are good but you have to think about the different circumstances where applying a general range is not effective, the position, kind of bet type of villain all affect when you determine which is the right range for our hands

PuMa8818

PuMa8818

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The size of the stack, the position in the tournament, the dynamics of the table, prize jumps well and sometimes intuition))

L

L3vin3Th3Dr3am77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah that all depends on the circumstance; chip count, stage and also depending on the opponents you're playing against.

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No,i have different ranges for different stages of the tournament,different ranges for the bubble,FT...

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to use the same ranges in general as unho accumulates chips and can be exposed a little more with a greater variety of hands

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands