Would you play this hand?

M

muazkkh1996

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its the first hand against this random opponent ,and you get KJ offsuit ,and he raises 5 big blinds ,will you call? ps: i had 15 big blinds tourney poker

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No I wouldn't but if I know the player and in heads up yeah sometimes I would:0) Good luck out there and keep grinding:0)

M

mavradal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, having information on your opponents is essential.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends on size of blinds and effective stacks. But unless villain or myself is short-stacked I'm folding K-Jo to a 5xBB open

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont never do this call, maybe I can go all in.
Is it a HU? If answer is yes, I go all in.

What is his position? If he is in late position or SB without action before him, I go all in.

Without a read about him, is very hard to answer but I never call 5BBs with 15BBs, because if you dont flop any cards and you fold, you will have only 10BBs. So I go all in/fold, but never just call.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5x Raise means JJ+ a lot of the time, they inflate the pot so they can bet more if the flop is good for them. How many times have you saw someone raise 5x and fold to a raise? The situation you describe is 100% fold from me.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its the first hand against this random opponent ,and you get KJ offsuit ,and he raises 5 big blinds ,will you call? ps: i had 15 big blinds tourney poker

Well, more information would be helpful here. However, I would say this is a fold in most cases. KJ doesn't play well against even a fairly wide raising range. KJ is at a slight disadvantage against 22-TT. It's at a huge disadvantage against JJ-AA. Even against a weak Ace, it's at a slight disadvantage. It only dominates KT and worse. So, this seems like a clear fold.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
Of course it's fold for me in your situation.
There is no other option, your opponent could have A high or pairs.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold that every time.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope, I think i would fold the hand but give us more details,

How many players are the tables? 3/4/6/8/9 ?
How many big blinds did he have?
How long did he take to raise it to that size?

What positions are you and him at the table?
Dealer button,SB,BB etc

With details like this we can know the situation of the hand
And give a good guess if your hand might be strong enough to go all-in or if your hand is to weak to go all in and there for to fold.

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

it depends on the opponent who has raised, but in any case K J before the flop is not really a hand reassuring biensur when the raise is huge compared to the big blind on the other hand when we are poorly positioned we are close to leaving the tournament KJ is a hand with which I put mat and rely on my luck

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is the situation heads up?

at a normal table , hell to the no. It's not suited and KJ really isn't a strong hand anyways. Just looks like it could be. 5 BB is screaming a pair or at minimum AQ suited. at a heads up table , I have a wider chance in calling but at such a large raise with minimum holdings the only way Im calling is because I know Im getting it all in more than likely on the flop

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are this shortstacked, You cannot call anything unless you have an all-in hand. This hand is not that, but could connect in a flop. That means it is a drawing hand, or not a hand yet. However you don't want to spend 1/3 your stack to see that flop, so fold.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no and not even shoved 15BB.. 5x raise usually = I will call or shove on any 3-bet..

..but also, there's always the "how much time I want to be in that tournament" factor.. If I wanted to have a chance to go deep in the tournament, It was a fold.

-TRP-

J

jadestem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without any information on the opponent, fold. The only time KJ is a hand I will reshove with is if I know for certain that an opponent is shoving a very wide range or if my stack is very short and it is time to put up a prayer.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Calling a 5bb raise here would be a mistake in my opinion. For me it would be 50/50 if I fold or shove. Without any other info on the player I would make the decision on where he raised from and if there is any ICM considerations. If he was UTG its and easy fold. On the button and I am in the blinds I may 3bet all in.

J

Johnny Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
King jack hand

I am not a fan of king jack. If its suited I may play it more. It certainly depends on a lot of things as well like position, how far in a tourney you are, blind structure, type of player, the size of your stack.

In order for me or anyone to make a informed decision I believe would need to know a lot more in order to give you the appropiate answer

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold, no need to play off suited cards on raise 5x bb even AK o is a fold there without a read on a initial raiser

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

According to most push/fold charts out there, shoving with KJo is profitable from UTG+3 but that applies for situations where you are folded to pre-flop.
In your case:
1. If you are late position, and player from early position like UTG/UTG+1 made 5x I would fold (V's range should be quite narrow and strong there)
2. If you are on SB/BB positions and player from Late position like CO/BU made that bet, I would probably re-shove.

In other situations like MP opened, you are on the BU for example, I would re-shove if we are still far from the bubble and being ITM, fold if we can survive the bubble and get into the money. Same applies to payjumps if we are already ITM.

The one option you don't have is calling! If you have 15BB stack you can never, ever call 5x pre with any two cards. I wouldn't even call with AA there because it says you are very strong and don't want V to fold to your agression. Basically 15BB stacks and less are either pushing all in pre-flop or folding!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands