Working through card drought.

J

jaybird1017

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So, when I find myself in a card drought during a tourney, I usually look for opportunities to play my position or my table image. I'm usually recognized as a tight player. The only real spot I usually consider is to try and steal blinds when I'm on the button or one off of it. But it seems that often the big blind is defending when I raise 3-4 BB. I wonder if this is because I'm seen as tight and trying to steal, or is it something else?

What other moves should I try during these droughts?

Forgot to mention this it in live tourneys.

Last edited:
ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, you could also try stealing utg, also if any are "floating " the board you can try bluffing on the river after checking the turn. .. (disclaimer - my advice could be hazardous ) ;)

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't be predictable

So, when I find myself in a card drought during a tourney, I usually look for opportunities to play my position or my table image. I'm usually recognized as a tight player. The only real spot I usually consider is to try and steal blinds when I'm on the button or one off of it. But it seems that often the big blind is defending when I raise 3-4 BB. I wonder if this is because I'm seen as tight and trying to steal, or is it something else?

What other moves should I try during these droughts?

Concentrate on changing up your play in the early part of the game while you can still afford a few losses. Maybee raise more often after the flop.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Concentrate on changing up your play in the early part of the game while you can still afford a few losses. Maybee raise more often after the flop.

No doubt, if i am in the BB and you are on the button, raising it about 60 - 70 % of the time, then i am going to defend almost anything, especially if the action post flop goes soft - check check - or check bet call, and then you are checking other streets of no help to a tight range. I will exploit you for all you are worth, betting or raising almost any flops with 9hi or less.

For instance if we've played about 4 hands and if check folded one flop, then check called three flops and won 2 at showdown...then the next time we get into a hand as bb and btn - say the flop comes 856 rainbow and i check, you cbet i am going to check raise you here with damn near anything. Not because i am a great player or because you are terrible, but because you have narrowed your range and shown a passive playstyle that i will always be taking advantage of every chance i get.

The point is if you see weakness, exploit it. Im never trying to play the same way against you everytime - and if you happen to think i am bluffing you or running a play trying to get you off a made hand...that will either be the time you are 100% correct and you hurt me bigtime if you dont stack me...or, its the one time i actually have it and you've just given me most of your stack. :)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Many smart players will see you raise and not necessarily think you are stealing. If I think you are a tight straight forward player I will put your range on pocket pairs and high cards. I will call you with the intent of trying to take down the pot when the flop favors me. If the flop is something like 852 and you check I will bet the turn every time another low card comes. I will also call your cbet most times as well to see what you do on the turn or I could even check raise you. We all know how hard it is to sit there when card dead but you may want to raise a hand every few orbits to make sure your image is not to tight. While a hand like 85s is not worth raising it could be used when card dead as a bluff when the blinds are low. It will help you not look to tight and when you hit a hand the other players wont see it coming.