winning player mentality

J

jj white

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

was wondering how winning players think deep in tournaments with like 3-4 tables left. I have been wrestling with this for a whil now so I thought I would seek help from you final tablers. I find myself in this position often but I hardly ever just propell myself to the final table.

For example. Last night on bodog I played a $50 10k guarantee 165 person field .

I had 10k with 400bb with 30 people left. (m of between 15-20) I was good at the time but I knew that 10k would not be good enough to safely make the money. So without any real pressure from the blinds I made a few moves that did not work. I am just wondering if my moves were necessary.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: how hard shoud i try to stay over 10 bbs. If the cards are coming great. But what if they do not come? Shoud I try to make moves with air just to avoid getting to a point where I have to risk ALL my chips. OR should I just let the blinds hit me and keep being patient waiting for a real hand to play preparing for push/fold play. Is it normal to just play push fold late in a tournament getting lucky some tournaments and getting knocked out of some?

Do winning players have to play the push/ fold game late or do they do everything in their power to not have to play push fold.

How should I be thinking to approach this situation?

thanks

wolfie

wolfie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
white;1528563]Hello,

was wondering how winning players think deep in tournaments with like 3-4 tables left. I have been wrestling with this for a whil now so I thought I would seek help from you final tablers. I find myself in this position often but I hardly ever just propell myself to the final table.

For example. Last night on bodog I played a $50 10k guarantee 165 person field .

I had 10k with 400bb with 30 people left. (m of between 15-20) I was good at the time but I knew that 10k would not be good enough to safely make the money. So without any real pressure from the blinds I made a few moves that did not work. I am just wondering if my moves were necessary.
moves where not nessecarry, you had 25 BB and in the middle play of the
tourny.
just lean back and wait your chances you want to win or do you want to cash !!
give them the image that you are tight, will need it near bubble play.
not calling is saving chips ;)
IMPORTANT QUESTION: how hard shoud i try to stay over 10 bbs. If the cards are coming great. But what if they do not come? Shoud I try to make moves with air just to avoid getting to a point where I have to risk ALL my chips. OR should I just let the blinds hit me and keep being patient waiting for a real hand to play preparing for push/fold play. Is it normal to just play push fold late in a tournament getting lucky some tournaments and getting knocked out of some?
watch the stealers and can try to protect your blinds with big overbets.
with play-push you will get higher and more often in the money.
if in the money you can use your tight image to start making moves to
get higher .
Do winning players have to play the push/ fold game late or do they do everything in their power to not have to play push fold.
if can avoid play/push play than do it but if not thats all there is left.
How should I be thinking to approach this situation?
think what you want !
cashing or winning thats very important !
if want to win follow your guts in some situations, not worry about cashing !
thanks

kope this helps some :cool: