Why you should limp when...

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You first start a tournament.

1.) It shows other players you have a wider range.
2.) They may assume you are a fish later on in the table and decide to try to bluff you.
3.) It micromentally decreases variance (loosing some small hands may lead to you winning a big one later on in the table.)
4.) So you can tighten up when blinds go up and trap opponents or catch them offguard.
5.) You may actually win a small pot or two or three even.

Anyone try this?

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you talking about open limping or limping behind because those are two very different things.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you talking about open limping or limping behind because those are two very different things.
Hey Gab saw that you won a freeroll into the MDS super satellite. Congratulations.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping behind. I think open limping is fine with KK and AA.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never Open limp BTW for this thread.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Open limping is ok only at certain stack sizes, like 15-25bb, and only from SB. From all other positions it is just a bad play for the most people. Open limping with KK-AA just shows your shortmindedness to everybody and this trap doesn't even work that often.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its just a strategy and theory. Usually tournaments start off with 100-300 bbs, so limping for instance 98s and then turning it into a bluff actually looks really strong.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Its just a strategy and theory. Usually tournaments start off with 100-300 bbs, so limping for instance 98s and then turning it into a bluff actually looks really strong.
Why turn 98s into a bluff when it is such a great hand on postflop? Are you happy to fold 98s to 4-bet without seeing a flop?

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, lets say I have 100bb.

- I limp 1 early position 98s 10-9s or something like A-5s
- I get raised to 3-4bbs
- I reraise to 7-8bbs.

A lot of the time the people will call and fold to a bet on the flop if they brick, aren't strong. In which case

- C-bet flop 1/3 pot.

It might not always work, but then mixing in AA - JJ is a good strategy if they 5-bet.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have A A or K K and I am at a lose table and I am under the gun than I have no problems limping in. If I have 2 2 , 3 3 , 4 4, 5 5, 6 6, 7 7, 8 8, 9 9, 10 10 I don't mind limping in with these depending on how big my stack of chips is and what position that I am in, and also other variables that might play into the scenario. I do this because I want to save my chips. If I hit my set of trips than is also a major element of surprise to your opponent as well. Doing this can really help me build my stack of chips up in the long run. So I don't get as many chips in the middle right off the "get go", as a generality it is surprising how many chips I can extract from my opponent when I have trips and he has top pair top kicker. Sometimes I don't extract any chips from them because they didn't hit, but when I do, can you say "payday!!!!" ? If I don't hit my trips and someone bets, no big deal and can always discard them if I feel it is not in my best interest to go forward with the hand at that point. I guess you could say that I have a passive aggressive persona when it comes to these hands. I won't limp in with J J or Q Q. It's just one of those things. If I am in middle or late postion with A A or K K than I will go ahead and bet it on up. Maybe somebody will raise me.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I have tried this. Yes I believe your right. The people are suppose to think you are limping in and not sure of yourself. This catches them off guard and they go all in. If your doing the probabilities you donk them more then you think.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, lets say I have 100bb.

- I limp 1 early position 98s 10-9s or something like A-5s
- I get raised to 3-4bbs
- I reraise to 7-8bbs.

A lot of the time the people will call and fold to a bet on the flop if they brick, aren't strong. In which case

- C-bet flop 1/3 pot.

It might not always work, but then mixing in AA - JJ is a good strategy if they 5-bet.

Typically I see if early position limps there are several other limpers and then maybe a raise to 8-10bbs from the button.

Lets try and go through this strategy and map out ranges.

First lets define your opening range a little more. What else beside 89s 109s A5s, AA-JJ? That's only 36 (2.7%) hands.

R01-034242.png

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Limp JJ-KK and give all Ax hands chance to hit Ace. Even if Ace doesn't come on the flop, are you happy to play out of position with overpair against several players? No thanks. The only hand that doesn't really need protection is AA and I think it's stupid to slowplay it.

I see weak players limping from EP all the time and it's Aces most of the time. That's why it doesn't work, everybody knows that you are limping with Aces. To cut this argument short here are my filtered hand statistics. With Aces this year I have a winrate of 12,5bb per 100 hands. If anyone here can show me that they have better winrate limping aces over decent number of hands (>500) I would apologize and accept that I'm wrong.
hF7cYr8
https://ibb.co/hF7cYr8

Last edited:
T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp JJ-KK and give all Ax hands chance to hit Ace. Even if Ace doesn't come on the flop, are you happy to play out of position with overpair against several players? No thanks. The only hand that doesn't really need protection is AA and I think it's stupid to slowplay it.

I see weak players limping from EP all the time and it's Aces most of the time. That's why it doesn't work, everybody knows that you are limping with Aces. To cut this argument short here are my filtered hand statistics. With Aces this year I have a winrate of 12,5bb per 100 hands. If anyone here can show me that they have better winrate limping aces over decent number of hands (>500) I would apologize and accept that I'm wrong.
hF7cYr8
https://ibb.co/hF7cYr8

Its okay to fold aces post-flop, but I guess its a little different in short deck and omaha.

The point of the post wasnt about limping aces, it was about establishing an image then utilizing this image.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is such a lame trick, to limp with your premium hands. I dont understand it, but I do fall for it from time to time. Limpers confuse me, I think weak hand and shove my big aces over-the-top, then call is QQ+ or AK.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont open limp in tournaments. It causes many issues in your game.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping in seems to be the topic lately, and a lot of good information and strategies floating around. I don't think there is a perfect formula for this move, regardless of the situation.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you limp the game comes more opponents, therefore if you limp with a weak hand with each additional opponent you have reduced the chances of winning, if you limp with a strong hand it will be more likely that you will be moved. In any case, playing limp is bad.

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should limp against bb when you have nuts like AA or in sb with nuts

G

GEO12GIO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The logic is there but this seems to be the opposite to what pros do based on my observations.
Perhaps im wrong but they tend to play quite tight in the beginning and loosen up later on when it matters, especially around the bubble because thats when players tighten up and become easier to read

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You first start a tournament.

1.) It shows other players you have a wider range.
2.) They may assume you are a fish later on in the table and decide to try to bluff you.
3.) It micromentally decreases variance (loosing some small hands may lead to you winning a big one later on in the table.)
4.) So you can tighten up when blinds go up and trap opponents or catch them offguard.
5.) You may actually win a small pot or two or three even.

Anyone try this?

I usually use the 4th limp option behind:saint:

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They all have value. Using each will depend on the situations that arise.

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limping depends on table and stack size

my experience is that it depends on how loose the table is and how the distribution of stacks are - as well how far you are in tournament.

in the beginning of the tournament i only limp with pocket pairs but be prepared to fold AA or KK never fall in love with your high end pocket pair.

in end game better to bet your hands as you get blinds and get paid for your odds

atleast my experience