Why so many turbos?

G

Gonzo864

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would guess and so 85% of online tournaments are turbos. In my opinion that's more just gambling and not paying poker. Do you guys like turbos?

M

manitoba420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbos come down to lots of luck, I prefer at least 10 minute levels

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You just answered your own question.

The sites (that is in the business to earn money) wants more gambling so the recreational players don't lose their money to fast to pros and or good players. The sites earn their money in rake and the more players and games the more rake and money comes to them.

The fact what it goes faster makes them earn faster also. Look at the spin and go's for an extreme example.

If I like it myself: not in general. But if I'm short on time I can sometimes prefer it.

Gambler types and players that play mostly for fun like it for the action, and with the smaller edge to skillful players they also have a bigger chance to win something more often.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I've always preferred a slower tournament as I like to pick spots to win big pots. Turbos force you to play looser for a bigger portion of your stack much earlier.

I believe sites have made a conscious decision to create more turbo games, purely from a money making perspective.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker sites basically offer the tournaments, people want to play, and if you look at the SnG lobby of Stars, there is simply more activity in the turbo section, even though in this case people can choose completely freely to play one or the other. The obvious explanation is, many people dont have time to play long tournaments. The most extreme result of this is Spin n Gos, which only last a few minutes, and which have become extremely popular.

I dont exactly love turbos, but I have come to accept the format a bit more, and have actually managed to win one and have deep runs in two others on 888 poker. You just need to become really good at short stacked poker and understand, that the majority of action is going to be preflop.

lackerboy

lackerboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker rooms, it is beneficial to increase the variance for the players. So the money will be longer in the system. I do not think that professionals earn much less, because weak players like this format of tournaments and there are just more of them. You need to be able to play and turbo tournaments and ordinary)

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like turbo tournaments and do not play on them because of the rapid growth of their blinds. At these tournaments, the tactics of the game are close to frequent all-ins. And that means the game is more dependent on luck and not on the ability to play.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like turbos and even super turbos. Im kinda an all in player, so it works for me, and its nice that a tourney doesnt take 4 hours to play......

Maikl113

Maikl113

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not, because sometimes you go all in with a weak hand, the game is more on luck than on skill.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a fan of turbos. I even prefer hypers over turbos. Turbo's you can't really be patient but also too deep to jam correctly like in hypers. Just stuck in the middle and not my preference. If you need to cash and make a deep run, regular format definitely the best in my opinion.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It took me long enough to get used to turbo tournaments. They are beneficial for poker rooms.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even Spin and Go tournaments can be profitable if your play it well, the hard part is to put enough time and dedication to play it well. But it is really hard, and I am not able to make it profitable. Now I decide to only play freerolls

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It maximises the profit while many players like it:
- new players: it doesn't take long
- experienced players: more easy to win from the fish

P

pokerballsaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The faster the game levels, the faster it ends. The faster it ends, the faster you register for a new one and pay more rake...

But there are plenty of MTTs that are not turbo.

Personally I do not play any turbo games as I do not like them. I will however play hyper turbos sometimes.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just love the turbo game, I always play only in them and nothing bad about it

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is from the Advent of mobile poker APKs that allow us to play for money on the go. Hard to get into a serious tournament on the go with 20 minute levels and 30to 60 second timers when you playing while waiting at the doctor's office.

So yes they play more like Zynga mobile poker .

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play many tournaments to begin with, but turbos are the worst. It seems like the only way to go deep to play like an aggromonkey and run good.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've always preferred the turbo format tbh, I love playing the all-in game.

RickoNNN

RickoNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love turbo mode. I find it allusive and more for me that I can't wait

S

sponsor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not everypon has the time for 6-8 hour tournament

So turbos are a good option

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
once you get rid of a tight playstyle you gotta love the Turbos :)

It's not About luck, it's About adjusting your ranges to stack sizes, that's it.
If you think Turbos are only About luck, try a hyper Turbo :p