why do people raise odd amounts?

A

Ambushed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this too, might make calculating odds for other people harder.

W

WizardRubic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it on play money tables for entirely different reasons. Not old enough to play with real cash but I don't see why this wouldn't work there too.

2 chip bb 1 chip sb
Hero: 100 chips
Player A: 20 chips
Player B: 300 chips
Hero pays BB
Player A pays Small blind
Player B calls.
Player A calls.
Hero raises to 19 chips. See how this bet would leave player A with 1 chip left?
Player B calls.
Player A decides he should call the 19 chips. Instead, since it's one chip off 20, he just raises to 20.
Now Hero gets the choice to raise again because he raised to 19 instead of 20. So now I get to raise myself. Just by betting 1 less chip.

So yes, there's a reason. Doing it at other points, as other people said is to mess with their odd calculations. It's also to make it seem less outta place when you do what I said above.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It looks like all of the reasons I was going to give have already been said - to confuse people, make it more difficult to calculate odds, to bother people etc.

It does annoy me cause I like the round numbers but it virtually never changes my action. Fortunately players can not do that in live tournaments. :p

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most people are really dumb when it comes to that. Companies do it in sales it tricks the consumer to thinking its cheaper 19.99 instead of 20. They taught me about that in grade school. I've always looked for that.
On some poker sites its hard to bet 2.5x's or even 3x's the blnd so you raise the bar till its close and that's the bet maybe that's the reason for the other.

Airburn

Airburn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it alot - instead of 900 I'll do a 899 or 889
and the pot looks alot bigger when you have alot of small chips in it.
I do it mainly to confuse, Intimidate by big looking pot ect...
and to make the raise look smaller then it is.
(the famous 19.99 ect it works btw)

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks like all of the reasons I was going to give have already been said - to confuse people, make it more difficult to calculate odds, to bother people etc.

It does annoy me cause I like the round numbers but it virtually never changes my action. Fortunately players can not do that in live tournaments. :p

I HATE when they color out my greens ... takes away all my fun :(

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting thread, as I've often wondered why people do that. I will admit that I concluded that they were doing it to try to look more clever than they really were. For me, it was never an issue as the math comes pretty easy to me in OLP.

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this sometimes to mix it up. Mainly because it makes working out odds just that little bit more complex for my opponent. Sometimes it allows me to bluff that little bit cheaper and sometimes it allows me squeeze out a little bit more value I also mix it up weather I'm raising more or less than standard since it keeps me unpridicable.

In one of the recent cc free rolls (I think the carbon $500) I got to make a nice bluff because of a net sizing tell, I got them off QQ on a K J x board which I wouldn't have gone for the bluf if it wasn't for the bet sizing that I was able to use based off of previous info

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes 3-bet people just because they bet weird amounts. If I know people do to be intimidating I will scare them them back with a raise. I don't just mindless do this but in some spots it works out nicely if I have a tight image.

As for figuring out the odds of weird chip amounts I just round the numbers up. The odds of my decision would be close and that usually is workable.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It messes with the minds of other players. I play live & have done the odd raise or bet amounts at times & there have been times where the other player(s) will verbally show their puzzlement or frustration with it. I've gotten people to fold b/c of it numerous times.

dkoncc

dkoncc

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PEOPLE LIKE TO MIX UP THEIR BETTING PATTERNS.. EVEN THO MOST PEOPLE JUST HIT THE 1/2 POT 3/4 POT BUTTONS.. LOL

A

ak725

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is a matter of style. but in my experience, many times players with 568 or 1256 betting usualy bad players.
the betting is a mirror of the player mind. their mind is probably mess up.

S

Skidis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this every day now. People in MTT's seem to be raising instead of 1k chips its 999, or they raise like 327 just random as hell. I really dont get it.

I think many players do like this because they have a "bet-relage" like 50% of pot, 75% of pot and so on. I use this buttons very often and thats why the bet ammount is a little bit odd... :)

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator