Why do I get beat like this over and over again.. flush beat by full-house agian

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, guys here is my hand I have 10 3s bb UTG +1 limps in I have 10000 in chips game just started for me. UTG+1 has 18500 in chips folds back to me in bb I check. flop comes Kc 6s 2c I have a flush draw I didn't think he hit the king so I check he bets 278 into a 555 pot I with a flush draw call turn comes 7s which puts two flush draws on the board. he bets 556 and I call with the flush draw river comes 7c I get my flush I just didn't think this guy had much as he played many hands I have played with him before we end up going all in. He has a full house 2 full of 7 which of course beats my flush. This is what has made me a losing player. Was I wrong to call his all-in with a flush. I did read him right he didn't have the king he had 22. was I wrong for calling all in. This is micro stakes tournaments so he just got lucky I guess but did I make a mistake by thinking I had the winning hand? that is the question I need help with. I could use some help here thanks for reading.

A

Agusamc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
I think calling allin is fine, you have almost the nuts.
Unless you know that he is a very nit player who only goes there with the nuts, in that case he would not call, because your flush is very low, and he can have any better color than yours in addition to the fulls

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'm folding after he bets the flop. You really have nothing. You will just bleed money making that call. Just seems like its a bad move long run to go after that draw given your hand.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its difficult to say, if you made a mistake on the river, when you dont tell us either the action or the effective stack size. If stacks were reasonable short, then this is probably just a cooler, but if they were deep, then its certainly possible to not go broke with a T high flush on a paired board. So why not post the actual hand history next time, so you can get much better feedback.

The other thing I would suggest you is to play draws more aggressively in general. It was a limped pot, so leading the flop would certainly be a reasonable strategy, or you could go for a check-raise. Check-calling with a draw out of position is generally the worst of any possible line other than maybe folding. The point is, you have T high, and by just checking and calling you dont give your opponent a chance to fold.

And to be honest with you this passive style of play is probably a much bigger part of the reason, why you lose, than coolers like running a flush into a full house. Coolers happen to everyone, and just as often you will be the guy with a full house, when someone else has a flush.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
never trust until afrter the river, especially with flush..

Even with a made flush after fourth card, I am paranoid: does enemy have a pocket pair, or board may pair(into a full house)?

I have been wiped out too many times, over betting made flush on fourth card, and then clobbered by a full house when board pairs on the river. There are a lot of "had the flush on the turn, and then..." stories that don't end well.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a game. Beginners are lucky about it. Therefore, if you manage to build up a bankroll, it is better to play carefully and given its size. Short-range poke eats up all your money like a black hole.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You both limp into the pot and then your opponent bets half pot on the flop. You say you didn't think he had a king so you call. I'm not sure your thinking was fully developed here. If he didn't hit the king then are you assuming a bluff? You have a nothing hand and it's certainly not a bluff catcher so why continue? Not only was a king in his limping range it would make sense that K6 and K2 would also be in his range. You should have simply folded right there. When the turn card comes he makes another strong bet. This bet should have convinced you he wasn't bluffing and again you should have folded. This hand should not have reached the river but you got there by check-calling and chasing a hand. You don't explain how the hand finished but you likely called an all-in. You could make the case you were correct to call with a flush but to do so you are ignoring what happened on the previous streets. Like Fundiver said the line you took was the worst possible strategy.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the other posts. Just a ton of problems.

You are chasing a flush that was beat by other flushes.

You then think your weak flush is good on a paired board.

You then call a huge overbet (only about a 1400 chip pot, you call a 9300 chip bet?)

You were behind the whole way and had a ton of reasons to get out of the hand. Even a river fold would have been acceptable (we all make bad calls) and you would have been fine.

If you are going to play a big pot you have to have a big hand.

smpolak

smpolak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad Beats

I find that when you hit bad beat after bad beat, just have to keep going on and on and on until you start running well again. Sometimes we go through bad runs. So I just stick to it and eventually the runs come my way. The best strategy is always going with the best of it preflop and hope the odds agree and the cards fall in your favour.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that when you hit bad beat after bad beat, just have to keep going on and on and on until you start running well again. Sometimes we go through bad runs. So I just stick to it and eventually the runs come my way. The best strategy is always going with the best of it preflop and hope the odds agree and the cards fall in your favour.

You take a lot of beats in poker, but i don't think that is the problem.

When you are getting into big pots with hands like 10-3, think a 10 high flush is good at a full table. Think a flush is good on a paired board where the villain is betting 8x the pot, all are other problems.

I don't take beats like that (if you call a flip a beat) because i don't have any interest in getting into pots with trash hands.

Full Flush Poker