Why do I always finish 4th in STT

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play MTT, especially freerolls to try and build a bankroll. I’ve done ok with one 2nd place out of 2500 and many other low cashes. So I’ve played some $1STT 9 handed when I don’t have time for a MTT. So far I’ve played 9 tournaments (yes low sample size but got to start somewhere) and I’ve place 4th 7 times (top 3 pay). What am I doing wrong?

Most tines I’ve gotten to 4 players in 2 or 3 place. Usually there is a short stack with less than 10 blinds. Not sure if I’m playing to tight hoping the short stack will bust. He will end up doubling up through another player and then the blinds whittle me down. When I do make a move (and I’ve played tight) I get called by someone with a weak hand and get outdrawn.

Should I be bullying the short stack more (eg raising him and hoping he folds). It’s getting frustrating that I can’t break through. Thanks.

PokerR

PokerR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not one of best poker players but i've been studying about it. I think that we need to focus on small pots and control pot, sometimes we try like crazy win a big pot and who knows double our stack.
It's important don't be predictable, we can improve this.
You need to put pressure in shorts stacks, of course, you will need to give up sometimes.

Last edited:
V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing to tight its not good most times the short stack is shoving any ace and two face cards win the flips and run deep.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah make sure you are loosening up your range as the antes start coming out and study up on some push/fold charts that are out there.

The blinds will slowly eat you up if you are not constantly trying to fight for chips. This isn't a cash game where you can just keep folding and hope to play a super tight range and felt a loose station.

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the prize bubble for STTs, meaning there are four players present, it pays to keep note of your opponents and see who's being aggressive and who's trying to sneak into the top three spot. Basically pick on the player trying to sneak in. Furthermore, be more aggressive from late position when the blinds are high enough to be worth stealing. This should help you survive better in the prize bubble.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When it comes to 6 players, 5, 4, you need to play more ranges of hands. Less players, more action. Otherwise you will be eated by the blinds and antes. And the big stacks always are going to put pressure and raise.
When is full table, 9, is different. But 4 players as you said, some with lots of chips you need to change your game. More agressive, play more hands and take more risks sometimes. Think about that Mate, change your game on those levels you will get better results.
Cheers,
M.D.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah make sure you are loosening up your range as the antes start coming out and study up on some push/fold charts that are out there.

The blinds will slowly eat you up if you are not constantly trying to fight for chips. This isn't a cash game where you can just keep folding and hope to play a super tight range and felt a loose station.

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at a push fold chart but was wondering what the percent above the hands mean? See here for example. Thanks.

https://floattheturn.com/wp/pushfold/

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The percentage above the hands is how many available combos of hands you should be going all in with. For example his chart recommends you jam all of your hands 100% with only 1 BB in the SB.

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is important to always press the short stack to secure blinds, usually enter all in with high card and low kicker.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah. I see now. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry. One more question.

Are these push fold charts assuming you are first to act or does it matter how many other people are already in?

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry. One more question.

Are these push fold charts assuming you are first to act or does it matter how many other people are already in?
On a glimp, these charts are for MTT, 9 handed.
You should open up your hand range with 5 players left. Instead of bullying the low stack (5th place) I would rather attack no4, as he might be waiting for the smallstack to fall out, while the shortstack might be happy about your bet, as he wants to double up. But that depends on how they've been playing so far.
In general: until there are 5 players left, you play tight squad (AA,KK,QQ,AKs) only.
With 5 players you start to loosen up. I prefer to play the 80 Top hands.
Once gotten to place 3, you go for place 1 with almost all hands, as the difference between the prizes almost forces you to do so. 3 and 2 almost the same, place 1 attractive.
Go for it, good luck!:icon_thum