Why Can't I Move Up Stakes in Poker Tournament?

A

akka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play small, up to $1 buy-in games I make into money in decent number of poker tournaments. However when I move up I can't win.

I am caught up in a bad cycle. I generate bankroll playing hard in small games, and than when I move up I lose every time.

I am playing poker for last 10 years and I can't see myself doing any other job then playing poker. And I can't make a living playing small games.

What to do?

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is very much a mind game. It is possible that you are playing more passive/scared at the higher stakes because you so rarely play them. It could also be due to opponent skill level increasing, or could just be some good ol' run bad. Either way, try to approach these games the same way you do the micros and eventually you should see good results.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is an interesting question and requires an analysis of your mindset, bankroll management and play-style. All of those require you to review your hands to find the leaks in your game.

If your bankroll management tells you that you can move up, then do so. You simply have to play and adjust your play based on your findings.

Do you play differently in higher stakes? Again, analyze the hands.

Are you just as calm and level headed in higher stakes?

Do you take and lessons or engage in research and adjust your game?

Introspection and reflection will help you along your way.

I too am trying to make the shift to being a serious player. However, I am trying to plug some leaks first. I have a good success rate in live games but not in online poker :(.

Good luck in your journey.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Higher stakes have better players, that's a given. You have to figure out if you're losing because your skills aren't good enough yet or because you're letting the pressure win over you. If it's the first, keep playing and studying and you'll eventually get there. If it's the second, you have to find a way to keep your mindset balanced while playing and you're probably not going to find the solution to that problem in an internet forum.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Moving up means better players and less really bad players. It also means you need to play better. One thing I noticed is you say you cash a decent amount. What does that mean? If you cash 20% of the time what type of cashes are they. If many of them are just min cashes and not going deep to the final table there maybe the issue. I think it was Danial Negranu who did a check of the players who cahed the most on the WPT and found a guy with a 30% cashing and he was one of the bigest looser in the game.

The 1st thing I would do is look at your history of play. Are you going deep or just Min cashes for the most part. If you not going deep you may not be ready to move up. Next question is how much are you moving up. Is it a lot compared to what you have been playing? Is it a large % of your bankroll? If yes you maybe altering your play to a non profitable way. That could be the issue. It also maybe your skill set is not ready to move up yet.

My advice for you would be this, keep studying the game and work on improving your play. Take a deep look at your play and be brutally honest with your self. What you may find may surprise you and better still the work you put into this will help you improve so you can move up.

W

Wiflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Record your games with screen cast software. Look at the key hands during your tournament and find your leaks. Post those hands and see what other people would do in that situation.

W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play small, up to $1 buy-in games I make into money in decent number of poker tournaments. However when I move up I can't win.

I am caught up in a bad cycle. I generate bankroll playing hard in small games, and than when I move up I lose every time.

I am playing poker for last 10 years and I can't see myself doing any other job then playing poker. And I can't make a living playing small games.

What to do?

Do your $1 buy-ins and win 3-4 of them ITM and skip the next level. Go to a $3 or $5 a few days after a break and see how you do.

Alaercio da Rocha

Alaercio da Rocha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No difference

What to do?

Each case is a case and there are different opinions. If you do well at the micro limits and at the highest limits not so much then I believe that it deals only with your emotional, your mentality because the deck is the same for all limits. Try to work your mind harder and play higher limits in the same way you play at micro limits!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is known when we put small we do not lose much but we do not win much either. $ 3 buy-in pays more, but it's harder to win because players have a better level of play. We must continue to train to have the mastery of the game necessary to play the biggest buy-in and hope that luck is on your side.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing is fun!what's poker?If you want to earn poker,you have to live it!more literature,more study is a strategy game...giving poker more time only then you can achieve results and start earning!