Where to from here?

C

Cap_Scarlet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing poker on and off for about 15 years on and off (online only).

I've not done too badly and have never had to reload my cash account after my initial investment of $200 15 years ago, and in fact, I've probably made about $20,000 net over that time playing maybe once a week.

Now that I'm retired I plan to spend more time playing poker and ultimately would like to play some live events (EPT, WPT etc.).

....but I think I need to improve.

I'm generally only playing MTTs in the $5 to $20 range and although I think my ability is ok (rating of 72 on sharkscope) I am conscious of a couple of things:

1. I tend to play quite tight (typically seeing around 15% of flops) and consequently I struggle to build a big stack early on. Once I have a big stack I loosen up and play a lot more hands so if I get the cards and manage to build a good stack early then I am usually able to run fairly deep.

2. My main struggle during play is with hands like AK, AQ where I raise preflop and then miss the flop. I am ok with c-betting (but see the previous point) but frequently end up folding to a reraise or all-in.

3. When I do get knocked out it is typically because I (possibly) overplay a big hand e.g. playing AK, then hitting an A or a K and getting knocked out to trips. How do I avoid overplaying those hands (or is that unavoidable?).

I've started following some YouTube channels e.g. Jonathan Little and watch a lot of live tournaments on the pokerstars channel. I think that had helped in terms of broadening the range of hands I'm playing in different positions and getting bet sizing right.

So my question is this.....What the one thing you did that helped you improve or was it just a lot of small things?

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The one thing that I think makes the most difference is just playing more, and using a HUD.

I also watch several twitch streamers. It has helped me to understand (whether I agree or not) what other players are thinking when they play the hands they play. I have watched some of the really good players and some of the bad players (just to get different prospectives). It has been a real eye-opener for me.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
1. Loosen up a little in late position.

2. C-bet AK/AQ less (you can often have the best hand at showdown and people almost always call if the have a pair - so to just bet once is often not correct. In today's games you have to bet twice (barrel) if you bluff and if you bet for value it is a little thin most of the time even HU).

3. Don't go broke with only TPTK if you are deep. Use pot control and check at least one street often. And if someone raises you, especially on the turn you are often no good (not many people bluff with an ace or king out when you have raised pre-flop and bet the flop/turn.

If you are able to watch most of Jonathan Little's YouTube Channel (especially the Webinars) you learn a lot. I also recommend his books.

Good luck.