When you really don't have time to play poker?

Dimission

Dimission

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I start a tournament or a sit & go when I already know that I don't have the time because of an appointment. But still you register yourself.

The biggest annoyance is when my wife has finished eating and I am playing a game of poker. When do you suffer from these situations?

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think limiting yourself to a few games you can concentrate on fully is best. When you are sidetracked or rushed, it will effect your play now and also on later tournaments.

Use small allotments of time for poker study. The CC poker course is good, or any of the hundreds of books will improve the games you are able to play. Then when you are able to focus on a game, you will do your best.

Being focused on two tournaments per week is much better than playing distracted twice a day.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I know I’m going to be short on time, I won’t bother to register. That said, I play on my ipad so it’s easy to register and then play while I cook supper, eat, do dishes, etc. I’ll miss a few hands but for the most part I’m able to play the full time. I also try to avoid the tournaments that have 10k players as they take way too long and I end up getting bored and making stupid plays just to try and end it.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since March, I've been working from home due to the coronavirus pandemic. I've been able to play some freerolls here and there throughout the day on my phone while I'm working. However, sometimes I get called into an important meeting or a deadline comes up out of nowhere so I'm forced to sit out the rest of the tournament.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps you need to change the game schedule or take more breaks in the game to spend time with your family?

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
have you tried playing cash or STT events? If you think you'll be pulled away, or can only focus for a short(er) period you might want to try the faster turbo STT formats, or move to cash games.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Nope, I play whenever I want - few times a week (lately) and I like morning cash games, so... :)

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm going to play, I give myself time to play. Before I register for a tourney I look at the time and estimate how long it would take to play it to it's completion. If I don't have that time available, then I don't bother registering. Instead, I might consider playing a Sit & Go.

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have not got time to play give 888s Blast or pokerstars Zoom a go. Its FUN

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I don't have so much time and still I want to play I play about 30 hands of cash games or playing a table of turbo heads up SNG, But the thing is they are not really profitable sessions and it is better that don't play when you are not in the mood or you can't spend time for a full time session,

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My first successful MTT was from over 4,000 players, I finished 29th in it and spent about six hours considering that my time started at midnight, I didn't sleep until morning and I was terribly sleepy the next day, after that I always started taking the timing of the tournament seriously

marcopero14

marcopero14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play on Sits&Go beacuse dont take too much time for play it.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
I can find time for poker at any time. The main thing is to have a strong desire to win:)

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I don’t have time to play poker, I just don’t play it.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I know that I will not be able to play, then I will not register for the tournament. I can only be prevented from playing by the lack of light or the Internet. But this cannot be foreseen.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This seems like a no brainer to me to not do this. First, it will make you play terribly because you will be focusing on the time instead of your play and your opponents play. Secondly, even if you do well in the tournament you wont be able to finish it (the most important time plus where all the money jumps are) so why start it? My suggestion would be not to register or start tournies when your schedule is like this and to get acclimated with cash games which you can start and stop anytime you like.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many factors that affect the game of poker. The timing of the game, the duration of the session, timely breaks. Playing poker should not interfere with other interests. Therefore, choose the time for the game so that you are sure that you can finish the tournament or sit quietly at the cash tables. If during the game you will be distracted by other thoughts, then with a high degree of probability the game will not become profitable.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Set some rules.. no more conflicts.

Say your favorite tourney conflicts with dinner time, for example. Others in your home know what's up: you're sneaking in a game. Others do not appreciate it when you are short with them, you're worried about ITM,not din din.
Best to make a rule, live by it: no poker at dinner time, for example.
Or: no poker on the weekend, or no poker after 10 pm.
Once you get comfortable with the no-play rules, you'll be nicer to be around, not frustrated that you can't really play poker because of conflicts.

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when the work gets more complicated with the schedules. that's when there is no time to play poker anymore.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
poker is always here, there will be a time when you will have lots of time to play poker

maybe not now, but when you have time to play all day

im sure online poker will be there to serve you

so no worries