when we have a very short stack, is this correct?

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, today very early (2:00 am Venezuela time) I decided to play a micro STT of 0.50 $ I had bad luck a couple of times but then this happened:

https://www.boomplayer.com/30720603_F802E0D5BA

two questions:

1. with 8BB and A8s was the all-in, the right move or should I have waited for a better hand?
2. leaving aside that it is a STT of 0.50$ and the players do not care much can someone please explain to me why the villain's miniraise?

I understand that at this level there is not much money at stake but a mini-raise in that condition and position I just did not understand

Thank you for your opinions on this subject.

Last edited:
J

jadestem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The all in was the right play. Had the villain went all in first, I may have folded in that position because there are just too many people left behind you and I don't think A8s is going to hold up very well against 3 or 4 opponents.

Villain min raised with a garbage hand out of position because he is a garbage player.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. baf... it's part of a loose game.. it's acceptable as move..

2. Raise or fold preflop technic.. bluff.. newbie..

What I don't really understand is the call.. I mean..it deservses a flashy tag.. kind of tag that can't be changed

-TRP-

HobokenNJ

HobokenNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I entered the information you provided into a push/fold calculator I found online (available at http://www.exceptionalpoker.com/?page_id=1258). It had A9s as an all-in hand, but not A8s... so a very close call.

That being said, according to the Cardschat odds calculation, you were a favorite. You had a 64.76% chance of winning versus 34.56%. I always consider it a small victory when I shove with odds like that.

I didn't find an easy to use option to figure out if calling was considered optimal for the big blind. But I would say that the big blinds extremely small stack makes him very likely to call as well. In those cases, I like to tighten up a bit.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
after the player showed aggression from the first position, I would have thrown out this hand !!!

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
after the player showed aggression from the first position, I would have thrown out this hand !!!

What if that same player has raised UTG last three orbits? Doesn't it depend on player type. Seems like a +EV shove given stack size.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are very short - any A is worth moving in with.

But a raise in front of you? What are you beating with A8s ?

Personally I would have folded to wait for a better hand.

In general I like the play. But if you are called - you will probably need a lot of help to catch up.

Good luck !

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
1. Yes you could wait a bit for something better,because the blinds are 50/100.
2. Vilain has a pair which gives him more solutions, like flush, straight, straight flush. You are waiting for the ace and if your opponent did not have a bigger kicker!

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

It depends on previous flops. If the previous flops had aces and eights with them it was a stupid bet. It would probably be better with six five if they hadn't come. Being short stack and blinds coming you have to play the cards that have the best probability of coming.

Q

Queev14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean you are ahead, so your push wasnt that bad, but it depends on your opponents. If you know he call all the time with garbage, i woud like this All in. But if he plays regular, this could be a little bit too lose.

Viera56

Viera56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Possibly you talking about a $0.50 SNG 45 players.

Some considerations:

1- In these tournaments is very usual play short stack, even if you in a late stage.

2- Basically, you have 2 ways to play with this stack: push or fold. You can check in BB position against limpers.

3- The villain probably want use the position (UTG) to represent a strong hand, maybe a missclick (and there is no fold for his stack), or maybe he is a idiot and give up.

4- Your move is ok, but i like it more in late positions and when the table rolls in GAP. You have to adjust your shove range according your opponents profiles.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) don't play turbo and hyper turbo games, it's a pure bingo designed to play fast and make decisions, nobody ever said that these decisions must be smart, you must make a decision for the chips... if 50 cents is money for you, then keep in mind that 50 cents is nothing for someone from the other country.

2) advices like "you must push all-in with any A or suited K with stack under 10bb" are trash. everything depends on situation, average stack, position and players at the table.
A8 in early position??? even if it's suited? are you serious? How many players behind you are still waiting to act? What was the average stack at this table? I see 3 chip leaders with 30bb stacks, others are pretty equal.

3) Keep in mind that a) the tournament lasts X minutes plus/minus, for example 40 minutes till the final table... you've played 20 minutes, if you're all-in now, then you have 50%chance to win and 50% chance to lose, so you're actually coin flipping your tournament life right here right now with such trash hand like A8... Keep waiting for a better hand, even with 4bb stack... WHY? because b) big blinds are giving you an option to increase your stack rapidly to the average size. The total number of chips in the tournament is not increasing, but the number of players/per minute who go out of the tourneament is slowing down, this means that average stack in BBs is also going down. SO if the average stack right now is 25bb, then 10 minutes later average stack will be 15BB, and if your stack is just 2bb, if you will double up and pick up antes + dead blinds - you will have a 5-6BB stack, another double up and you have average stack...

My conclusion: very bad play by both you and your opponent in very bad type of tournament. Simply quit it and join the bright side - play nice 8-10 minute blind levels.

P.S> winning a MTT after being down to 1bb before the money bubble is real, it happened to me once, so the theories of different hand ranges for 50-20-10bb stacks do sound like something logically correct, but have no practical use, if you want to test your luck right here right now with that current hand then you're the single one who is responsible for your loss, the next hand could be AA, with 2 aces on flop, but you will never know it, cause you're OUT :D

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on previous flops. If the previous flops had aces and eights with them it was a stupid bet.
Could you please explain this to me, what does the flop of the previous hand have to do? I do not understand maybe my English is worse than I thought but I can not understand the relationship

Possibly you talking about a $0.50 SNG 45 players..

I clarify since I did not write it in my initial post it was a STT of 0.50 $ with 9 players

1) if 50 cents is money for you, then keep in mind that 50 cents is nothing for someone from the other country.
No, I usually play at higher limits but I ask you what is the difference, I mean, after you register in a STT or MTT it can be 0.02 $ or 300 $ what matters is not playing it as best as possible ?

Hi, thanks to everyone for their opinions and criticisms when I made this post I wanted to know about the decision to push with less than 10BB in position UTG + 1 I will take into account most of the advice since that is why I write in the forum to learn from others players with different visions on one hand. Thank you very much for all your opinions

Last edited:
P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had a way to much players behind you, with A8 in your position I would never call. You don’t know what he has in his hands, so A8 even suited is to weak to call all in. If you’re the first to go all in with your 8BB this it’s justified, but calling for me it’s not really good play

Viera56

Viera56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I clarify since I did not write it in my initial post it was a STT of 0.50 $ with 9 players

This change a lot my reasoning line. To be lucrative on SNG you have always try to be ITM, because everybody is playing with this logic. Independent with your cards are best in this hand, your play is not lucrative. You don't will find calls worst than A8- (best scenario for you because of dominance), futher your image is a tight player. With very lucky you will find a flip (50-50) or a donk flip (Kx, Qx, etc) with (70-30).

With a usual distrubution of cards, is very hard you escape from a call with this cards and this stack. Remember, i not considerate what your villain had either who's won the hand. The shove there is no good in a long term.

Viera56

Viera56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Originally Posted by finaltable1
1) if 50 cents is money for you, then keep in mind that 50 cents is nothing for someone from the other country.

No, I usually play at higher limits but I ask you what is the difference, I mean, after you register in a STT or MTT it can be 0.02 $ or 300 $ what matters is not playing it as best as possible ?
The mechanic of poker is same whatever the limits what you play. You can play a $10.000 SCOOP tournament, and for some players a loss of that money doesn't matter, and for other will be a life or death.

Do not play a good poker because you don't have a big bankroll is a pretext to be a lazy player. Such a person never evolves in the game and possibly when he can play bigger limits he will be equally defeated, or even worse.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have fold, since there is already a raise and still 7 players to act after me.
However if I was carddead for the whole tournament, I see myself calling there.

M

Mater_AA_KK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
People just don't care and play a bitfree stupid,. Im annoyed alsoje about thatme. Hate itwill better said

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shoving all in with A8s was the right move IMO

but when UTG min raises, it should ring some alarm bells

but then again he had a garbage hand and you had him dominated pre-flop

the outcome was bad unfortunately :(

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Could you please explain this to me, what does the flop of the previous hand have to do? I do not understand maybe my English is worse than I thought but I can not understand the relationship

Hopefully he was asking if you had a read on what sort of hands the villain had been playing earlier in the game, if not I will leave it to him to explain.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play if suited for sure. If not, I might pass..